The Purpose of Humans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Darwinian purpose of existence is to continue genetic material to next generation (procreation, reproduction).

However, now that humans are 'aware' of our existence, Darwinian theory does not apply as much as it used to. Whereas illness would usually kill off weaker organisms so that only stronger more resistant ones survive, we have medicine to reverse this trend. Indeed, survival now seems to be based on where on the planet you live and your access to medical care.

So, purpose now? Although there is still the procreation aspect, I reckon someone nailed it above that our purpose is merely to exist.

Of course, all of the above assumes no God. So, a religious person may have a different idea.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm not even sure Darwin meant procreation and genetic inheritance as a purpose, just a fortunate mechanism.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Richie: "But what's it all about? Why are we here?"

Eddie: "You're born, you try to keep your head down and you die. If you're lucky."

I think that's about it for purpose. Anything good that happens is a bonus so smile and enjoy it :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If "Hell is other people" ergo We are each others punishment.
Not really

Successful/viable humans only role, is to pass genetic material to the next generation

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Of course we have a purpose

Malt whisky and fine cigars do not consume themselves

Red

Perhaps, given enough time, they will evolve so they do.. :p and by consuming them before they get a chance we are destroying a future, if somewhat bizarre, life form. Or is that survival of the strongest.. :lmao:?

davefish

May 11, 2009
essex
Of course, all of the above assumes no God. So, a religious person may have a different idea.

True.

As a Christian my belief is that we are created to give glory to the creator by doing the things he has asked of us; enjoying the sunsets, controlling the trees, savouring the cigars and doing justice, loving mercy and walking humbly before him.

Thats my view.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If "Hell is other people" ergo We are each others punishment.
Not really

Successful/viable humans only role, is to pass genetic material to the next generation

Hmm, possibly. though the thing which throws it off for me is that any other creature with a long life and slow infant development has a slow birth rate. We have stepped out of that balance when we stopped living in natural time imo. We are so far out of balance,we're going to tip the scales (or poles:D) over.

One thing which nature has a habit of doing is producing lots of something before a time of hardships.

Trees/plants produce more fruits before a bad winter than a good one for example. Nature keeps the balance. In the last 100 years the planetary population has increased four fold from what it has ever been before.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Trees/plants produce more fruits before a bad winter than a good one for example. .
Patently impossible, how would a non-sentient plant 'know' what the future would hold? when clearly the plant has no concept of ‘future’, What you [generic you not you you] are seeing is reaction not action. It reacts to the past not to the future.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
True.

As a Christian my belief is that we are created to give glory to the creator by doing the things he has asked of us; enjoying the sunsets, controlling the trees, savouring the cigars and doing justice, loving mercy and walking humbly before him.

Thats my view.

Nothing wrong with that.

IJ55.. on the answer you give, i get the impression you refer to the sumarian beliefs. In which we were created in the city of E'den by "the gods" to relieve them of their labours. The "gods" needed the gold to inject into their planets atmosphere to enable it to keep supporting life. Their planet left on its 3600 year orbit and they left 600 of their number to oversee the operations until their world returned. Gives good reason as to why we hold gold as the most valuable metal when in fact silver is less common.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Patently impossible, how would a non-sentient plant 'know' what the future would hold? when clearly the plant has no concept of ‘future’, What you [generic you not you you] are seeing is reaction not action. It reacts to the past not to the future.

Why is it impossible? In fact where i worked with gamekeepers, they judged the winter to come on the trees production of berries. The heavier the crop, the more severe/long the winter. From experience it generally holds true.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Gives good reason as to why we hold gold as the most valuable metal when in fact silver is less common.
Gold is more sought after not only for its rarity but because it does not tarnish, is easy to work and has a more rare colour. There are half a dozen white metals but only one gold

Oh and FYI there is approximately 5.8 to 17 times more silver than gold, so gold is more rare than silver. Gold is more commonly found as nugget (pure form rather than ore) than silver, but silver ore bearing rock is much much more common.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
We do have a slow birth rate. The population is increasing because we have an even slower death rate. It isnt foretelling an event there is no need to read into it, simply healthcare and food production means the population is not balanced by death.

As for purpose. There is none. I find the best way to think of it, which suits my atheistic, theistic, agnostic mindset (ive one for every day of the week!) Is that the entire universe is made of atoms and particles, there are in a simple form and via fusion in the stars over billions of years they become a little more complex, they become molecules. Then these particles, the substance of the universe settle into planets and every billion billion planets or whatever one has enough of the right particles,atoms and molecules, plus the right heat to begin to come to life. Evolution begins which is best described as a process moving the simple to the complex and via this process the molecules are aranged into increasingly complex patterns. first we have single cells, then multicells, then moss, plants and animals. Finally the universe after a very long wait has created ourselves - a system of molecules so intricately complex that it is able to comprehend itself and observe its nature as a molecular being. Thus atoms learned they existed and so we are the eyes and senses of the universe itself. When we look out at the stars, we should remember our bodies and minds were created by them, we are the stars observing themselves!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Why is it impossible? In fact where i worked with gamekeepers, they judged the winter to come on the trees production of berries. The heavier the crop, the more severe/long the winter. From experience it generally holds true.
Apocryphal anecdotal "evidence" which does not hold up to any kind of study. Its, as I said, reactive to many other factors, rather than predictive actions.
5.8 to 17 times? Nice and accurate guesstimation that :lmao:
Not a "Guesstimation" just simple facts, some areas of the world have a ratio of 1 ounce of gold per 5.8 ounces silver and some have 1 ounce of gold per 17 ounces of silver.
I guess that kind of proves that you really don’t understand the subject of which you spake.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

We are the top of the food chain, we can alter ourselves and our enviroment to suit our needs. We explore not jsut because we need more resources for our species but because we can.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have a very hard time believing that the entire genetic code of the biosphere is really just the preserved record of randomly occurring beneficial mutations, ie mistakes in the code that somehow wrote in coherent information.

We see the order around us and it is balanced to a perfection. This is one of the reasons I love the wilderness so much. My computer is the product of an intelligence I can grasp. Nature, infinitely more complex and beautiful is either a meaningless accumulation of random errors or a masterpiece of intelligence, beauty, and power. I choose the latter.

The purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy His presence forever. We were created to understand Him, a purpose that will take forever. I'm fine with that. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE