Jobs involving the outdoors - Suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
S a teenager I logged with my uncle. Those types of jobs are still available though they don't take 16 year olds anymore (unless of course, you're family)

Jun 18, 2010
Near York
Google Forest Schools. If there is a cluster near you, you might be able to get involved in youth work and train for assistant and then leadership.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Have you considered trying to get into sound recording in nature? You'll a have a qualification and a field that to my knowledge isn't exactly jam packed. Getting some tree climbing courses would be useful in this i'd reckon.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Hi s'etonner
I'm wanting to get a job involving the outddors in a similar way.

I've been working as a security guard since 2001, and was working 90 hours a week until the begining of 2010 when I lost my job. Since then I've decided its time I did something I love, and since I love the outdoors its a natural choice.

Primarily I'm looking for estate management type work(IE Warden at a Nature reserve), as I dont want to be stuck indoors doing paperwork. But anything involving the outdoors would do.

From Speaking to the Rangers at my local County Council & National Park, they have a more supervisory role, and spend about half their time in the office, the rest split between being outside and talking to members of the public/ schools etc about Nature and their area.

Now, here's how I got started. I volunteered 1 day a week with the local council countryside service, and have done things from Hedgelaying, path renovating and woodland management. Once you get to know the guys their talk to them about what they do and how they got their job.

Once I'd done that I had a clear ocjective in mind, basically you need a Degree in an environmental subject(I've opted for Environmental tudies from the OU), but I've also enrolled on a BTCV Environment & Conservation NVQ course to give me more experiance doing a wide range of countryside skills.

One of the tips I did pick up on was that if you want a job outside, you should go out and get as many "Tickets"(such as chainsaw licence, pesticide handling etc) as possible, the more you have the more likely you are to get a job doing what you want.

And As others have said, wages will be crap, but at the end of the day, if you chase money you'll not really be happy, I know I wasnt. Even when I've had a bad day poutside I still fell as though I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
I'm taking a slightly different approach to working in the outdoors - once I finish university this year, I'm going to start working properly towards becoming a British Mountain Guide (rather than climbing and skiing trips done in the lazy, student fashion...). The pay in the Alps is ok and you get to travel all around the world! What could be better?!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Ranger experience is valuable- here on the South Downs you can volunteer, but you are a full time volunteer. You will get CS30/31, a NVQ L2 in conservation and the possibility (not promise) of a job after a year. The downside? The position is as a full time volunteer and totally unpaid. As you are voluntarily making yourself unavailable for paid work you are not entitled to benefits. (I've checked!)

A small town council near me advertised a newly appointed Ranger job, requirements were CS30/31, brushcutter, environmental/conservation degree, ideally with previous ranger experience. Pay advertised as £18k a year!

bearpark

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle, UK
It seems that more and more entry level jobs nowadays require a high level of skills and qualifications. I've just been looking up how much chainsaw tickets cost and it seems they run between £500 and £700!

Saying that, a Ranger job is pretty much my ideal post after spending too many years in an office full time. Perhaps the initial outlay is worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE