Zippo emergency fire starter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
I find a couple of cheapie disposables stashed in different places and a tin of chaffing fuel (ethanol gel) pretty reliable, As much as I love Zippo's they always seem to run out, and I do recall, with a tear in my eye the night I accidentally over filled mine and put it in the front pocket of my jeans, put it this way - it doesnt sting as much as it does when you've been chopping chillies !!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I've got a couple of Zippo's, a "trench lighter," a refillable butane, and an inexpensive Imco, Triplex Super, from Austria. I love the Zippo's (my best one is a "Vargas Girl") but, when I go into the woods I almost always take a Bic. (The small one). Cheap, a zillion lights, always works, never dries out. Cool? no. Sexy? no. Effective? yes. If for some reason, I can't locate my Bic, I take the Imco. They hold quite a bit of fuel and do not dry out nearly as badly as a Zippo. I used to have a butane Imco, but they were fueled by way of small canisters that became too hard to find in the U.S. so I gave up on it.

The small Bic will fit into virtually any first aide kit or small fire-starter kit. You really don't need the larger one. It takes up way more space, and you will not need the extra lights -- even if you are lost in the middle of Canada. Lets face it, the small one will last longer than you will.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I like the bullet-proof nature of Zippos, but they need refilling so often because they don't cap the wick effectively. The IMCO lighters for about 3-4 quid are much more efficient re fuel use, and the bonus is that you can pull out the lighter part to use as a long match to light your meths stove/primus/woodburner etc. Brilliant bit of kit in my opinion.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks Andy BB, I meant to mention that part about pulling out the fuel canister/wick for a long match, and forgot! It is one of its best features. I like them so much I bought a four-pack of them! I think I paid 12.00 dollars for all four.

I'm with you, they are a brilliant bit of kit.

Andy if you like Zippos, look on the Smoky Mountain Knife Works web site. They have the craziest collection of Zippos for sale I ever saw!

Jan 20, 2010
Sweden
In case of emergency I use a rope burner which I picked up at a sailing outfitters... Got the thrust of a Tornado jet fighter, and always fun if a smoker asks if they can borrow your lighter:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE