world of survival DVD

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
My thread on RM DVD was not such a good idea. Thanks to those who have put me right on this issue and apologies for my oversight.

Moko

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Spacemonkey said:
It's a bit different if recorded off TV though, but not if a charge is made or if it's for public viewing.
This is what i thought, apparently its iligal to tape tv and send it to anyone weather you charge or not, either way this is not ligit and will, probably, be pulled by a mod when they see it.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
torjusg said:
I mailed Woodlore and they said it is unavailable, but that they consider publishing it on DVD.

Torjus Gaaren
I have mailed them and they said the opposit,problems with ownership rights etc.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Is it still illegal to make a copy of media (book or Cd) that has been unpublished for a long time ?
I realise the "greyness" of this question , but there are a few books that i know off that are not likely to be reprinted that would be worth getting back in circulation even if for no monetry value !!!
Pumbaa

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My mistake, it's the Extreme Survival series I have. So there IS another series between Extrmeme and Tracks! I thought there was, but wasn't sure. I'm also certain I saw his Heroes Of Telemark program once too, which is unavailable in disc.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Cheers ,
My reasoning behind this is a book called "the art of traking , the origin of science " , i have been in every second hand book shop i come across . It has been out of print since the 80s with no plans of a reprint (according to my local book shop (otakers) . I only found it in one place , amazon ! But for £300 odd quid there is no chance .
Its a shame that a book with such a good reputation is unavailable .
Pumbaa

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Not sure on books, but for a uk slant on the subject of copyright.

As for video, you can record a broadcast for "time shift" viewing, but to keep it for repeated viewing is technically illegal. Copying it on to dvd and selling it on ebay is most certainly illegal. But then anyone who has a copy of "world of survival", and has watched it several times is probably breaking the law anyway. However, there is the exception of personal study. Given the subject matter is of interest to us as a whole, i wonder if it would be okay for a single copy to be made as a study aid, and used as a "pass around" ?

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Surley we had this whole issue with tapes, i.e cassette and video. People still sell the things on boot sales and no one really cares. Its all about what you can get away with. I am sure in the 80's, most households had some recorded material from a media source. Its the same thing now with CD's and DVD's. As long as you do not sell, our brothers in blue are not that bothered.

I say the distribution (not selling) of recorded media is passing it on for future generations to enjoy, that would be otherwise lost as the owners do not think it viable for distribution.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Biddlesby said:
Would that simply not be distributing it? (which as you say is most certainly illegal)

Not sure Biddles - my feeling is that the implied meaning of distribution is selling multiples for profit - a la friend on ebay. I would hope that making a single copy, for non commercial, personal study would be okay. Lending to a friend , who never had the opportunity or means to watch the programs, must be okay surely ?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I done mean to offend anyone or anything but i dont care i just want a copy of Mr Mears first series,as it was his best so far i think.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
The whole thing is quite wired actually. I am so dam old that I was a teenager before the time everybody had a PC. If someone then taped some music we copied it with another tape recorder, nobody was thinking that’s pirating and the poor companies are not making enough bucks. When people had videotapes, we put two machines together and taped the thing. No problem with that either, especially if it was from the TV. Movies you bought had a code, so you could not copy the films.

I don’t get the point that BBC is paying a lot for Ray to make the films. Isn’t BBC government paid? Doesn’t the English public already paid with their taxes for the movie one time? But lets say that would not be enough money to do the show, well lets ask the public for a second payment called TV license. . Ok first you pay the taxes, then you pay the TV license, and then you have to buy the CD too.

Lets say you paid the taxes, paid the TV license but missed the TV show because your kids got the stomach bug and where throwing up in their beds. As you are a good and caring daddy you will clean up the mess comfort the kids but miss the evening show with Ray Mears, which you paid already twice for.

What will you do? Off course you will ask your old Bushcrafter mates. You will go on the Internet, log into BCUK and ask if someone makes a copy for you from the Ray Mears show you missed and paid for. Next you are called a pirate from your fellow brothers and get a PM from a moderator warning you about your conduct.

I know its not the fault of the brothers here organising the forum as their bottom is on the line. But the greedy bunch sucking the money out of everyone not only twiche but 3 times and if it would fit them they would like to do it again and again giving out the same CD with under another title which you buy for a hell of a lot money only to find out you own it already. The only difference on the tape or Book is 5 more picture or 20 minutes of Knife commerical talk. :censored:

Thats wirred :confused:
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE