Woolen hats, your choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well after catching my woolen hat in the zips on the PLCE pouches I think it's time to retire it. Before I buy another I'd like to know what everyone is wearing as theres usually some good suggestions here on the boards :) Especially conscious how quickly the temperature has dropped and really don't want to be caught out without a decent wool hat - I suffer bad if I don't wrap my head up (and I learnt that the hard way!)

I was thinking something simple like this from Endicotts, but I quite like those beanie type hats with the visor (almost like a cap)

What does everyone wear?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i use a tight knit "north face" lined beanie,

i favour a head torch, so if your the same remember a peak is obtrusive

and having no hair (yes i,m a baldy!!) i find it perfect as an all day and bed hat

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is it really worth the extra price? Surely it's not actual possum fur being used? :confused:

It's about average price for a quality wool hat that's woven into shape rather than cut. And cheaper than the one it's replacing too. I'll let you know when I get it.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I use a 20 year old, navy blue, pure wool cap from the Isle of Wight that I got as a hand-me-down from pops. I might get myself a Possum & Merino hat though because I like the colour more.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up an Ullfrotte beanie from the forum which has been good. I've also got one or two thinsulate acrylic/fleece lined numbers which are also warm enough. I like the combination of the Ullfrotte and the army wool headover for a really snug winter set.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm allergic to wool, so I have the Lowre Alpine mountain cap. Had it about 6 years now and it's excellent for winter. Warm, breathable, waterproof... The dogs danglies

A_MOUNTAIN_CAP_darkforest.jpg

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Is it really worth the extra price? Surely it's not actual possum fur being used? :confused:

Yep real possum! ( they are classed as a pest, or vermin in NZ I was told ).
Great hats, very warm but become a bit loose and baggy, kept getting mine snagged in woods!
I washed mine on a warm wash and stretched it slightly to fit, ie.wore it damp, perfect now, and it has tightened up the weave.
Chris.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wool beanies for me or a chullo style hat to cover the ears when its colder. Also the wool headover from Endicotts is very useful as cap/scarf/ face warmer.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I bought the Lowe Alpine hat summat like 15 years ago in the spell shortly after the switch from gore-tex to triplepoint ceramic and before the more recent switch back to gre-tex. I used to find it a really wrm and weather proof choice for the depths of winter. These days I think the winters are milder (the last one possibly the exception) so I can't wear it now as its too hot for me.

I used to wear a cheapo wool hat when a student. It was great the rain used to bead up on it and in depths of winter it was all I needed on the head. got replaced with the mountain cap. Now I wear an acrylic TNF beanie IF it is very cold. I must admit I run hot anyway so its usually a montane peaked cap for me. I kip in the TNF beanie if I forget this thin polartec fleecebeanie. It is more of a helmet liner than anything from North Cape bought as a hat under my kayaking helmet in winter. It makes a good sleeping hat when in my quilt but I never find it when packing for a trip so the heavier TNF one becomes my nightcap.

I do think if the itchy wool works for you then a cheap and simple beanie is perfect. SOme people dont get on with wool then the thinsulate or acrylic ones might be better or simple fkleeces. I do reckon in the reall cold weather something that can cover ears better than those fashion beanies like my TNF one would be better.

There is a good fleece one known as a windiush I think that IIRC is windproof and has a good ear cover too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE