Ears and hats. What do you do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Just how wide is the brim? I find that with 3" or wider, the drainage from the brim goes well enough back to drain onto my coat rather than inside it.

Tried a cowboy type hat when i was over n the states and a Australian type drovers type hat, both gave me a VERY sweaty head and both tended to drip in heavy rain.

I found when i tiled my head forward the rain clung to the underside of the brim and straight down my neck, brrrrrrrr.

As i say i'm not much of a hat fan anyways but i do prefer a decent waterproof jacket with integral hood rather than a hat when it's raining.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mostly an image I wish I could get out of my head.

Yoy dod hear they're making a sequel to Brokback Mountain didn't you? It's starring Agelina Jolie and Jennifer Lopez. Now THAT"S wishful thinking!

I'm planning to audition as the horse........

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I want to try one of those merino buffs.
Being middle aged and abit chubby of late, I think I'd look a tw@t in a bandana....:)
I use a Tilley T3 hat when i can get away with it.
Although being cotton its no good in heavy rain.
Or the wired peaked hood on a goretex xcr arcteryx, or rab event jacket.
Or a Goretex XCR lowe alpine mountain cap. Never tried the possum/merino beanies which are so popular.
Got a smartwool merino beanie recently, which is nice and thin, tightfitting and breathable.
Could easily layer under the lowe alpine if it got too cold.

I must be in the minority but I dont like baseball caps. No neck/ear shade, and nowehere near as comfortable as a tilley

Those wool hats with the pom poms and the loose dangley bits to tie under your chin look practical. Are they finnish?

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
wooly jeep hat for me and i only cover the ears when its really cold, i am also a fan of buffs. But last night i ordered a swedish army cold weather trapper hat and depending how much of a pillock i look i may give that a go this winter

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Tried a cowboy type hat when i was over n the states and a Australian type drovers type hat, both gave me a VERY sweaty head and both tended to drip in heavy rain.

I found when i tiled my head forward the rain clung to the underside of the brim and straight down my neck, brrrrrrrr.

As i say i'm not much of a hat fan anyways but i do prefer a decent waterproof jacket with integral hood rather than a hat when it's raining.

Yeah I've occassionally had it run down the underside (but not often) As I saiough, I like a high collar and /or a scarf combo; that keeps most rain and wind from getting inside my coat.

I didn't like hats much either between about age 11 and 40.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE