Ears and hats. What do you do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't like having my ears covered by hoods and to a leaser extent hats. I find it reduces my hearing and awareness by quite a bit so as a rule I don’t cover my ears. This leads to a wet head if it’s raining and I have forgotten my baseball cap and cold ears in the winter as I normal have some sort of beanie pulled down but leaving my ears free and a scarf pulled up.

I picked up a Swedish snow smock dyed green of the GITO thread and so far that’s the only hood I can put up with.

Do others have the same issue as me and what do you do to cope or like me do you just get cold / wet ears and put up with it?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Ms. Swift knocked us all up silk beanies style hats. These keep a surprising amount of heat, can be used with other hats, easy to pack and don't interfere so much with sound if you need to pull them down over your ears. I've used mine in the hammock which worked well.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't like hoods................................wide brimmed leather hat for me & if it's really cold I cover the back half of me noggin' with a thin cashmire scarf so it hangs down covering my ears, old lady style, pop on the leather hat, then wrap a long fleece scarf twice around my face so only my eyes are exposed. I look like a right :censored: but I'm warm & dry & retain better hearing than with a hood, although when the wind is howling you don't hear much whatever your system. It's a real luxury to come out of the cold after a walk in a freezing gale & not have the tips of ya ears burn as the circulation returns.:D
When I was younger I never wore a hat, not even a scarf but now I do I can't ever imagine going hatless in cold & wet weather again...........not by choice anyway.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In extreme cold I have a sheepsking mountain cap which has a sheepskin "ruff" that folds down over the ears. I also have a traditional looking flat cap that has the same arrangement. Very helpful. I do have a wide brimmed had in felt for torrential rain. I don't like them or leather hats though - they look a bit "playing dressing up" and weren't really designed for our climate.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I got a leather and rabbit fur trapper hat from furhatworld.com, it does reduce my hearing slightly but can still hear enough to be aware of my surroundings and it keeps my head and ears toasty and dry in every weather condition and temperature thats been thrown at me over the past year.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Long ago I wore a macinaw cap such as this: www.filson.com/products/double-mackinaw-cap.60041.html

More recently (while on active duty) I wore the standard issue watch cap such as this: www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wool+watch+cap

Both worked well enough but the macinaw was better. Most recently I wear hats or caps without any integral ear protection. Rather I warm my ears with either a scarf, a high collar, or some combination of the two.

Always wondered about a jeep cap (basicaly a watch cap with a short visor: www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/subcat-123.html but never tried one.

All combinations effect my hearing to some degree but the collar and/or scarf combo seems to be the most adjustable therefore the most versatile.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I don't like hoods................................wide brimmed leather hat for me & if it's really cold I cover the back half of me noggin' with a thin cashmire scarf so it hangs down covering my ears, old lady style, pop on the leather hat, then wrap a long fleece scarf twice around my face so only my eyes are exposed. I look like a right :censored:

I dunno about that, I hear the cowboy-ninja look is in this season.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In winter in the UK, I use a fur lined bomber hat with ears that drop down. They have a hearing hole and aren't too bad.

I find that with them just resting on my lugs rather than fastened, they don't block much sound.

My Windstopper beanie is terrible for blocking sound and I dont like it.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Never been a big fan of hoods either. I do have a variety of wooly hats which I have just covering the tops of my ears. Most of the year I wear a wide [ish] brimmed sun hat - although it does well in the rain too and fits snuggly enough no to be blown off even by some fairly strong gusts.

However having said this a couple of years a go when it got down to -20 up here I did start pulling my hood up when the wind was strong as I couldn't hear anything but the howling of the wind anyway!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You could always wear a beanie that covers the ears, but put a couple of small holes in them where your ears are. Not as big as the whole ear, but just enough that they dont muffle the sound :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a brimmed hat for the summer months to keep the sun off my ears (and neck).
I have a beanie when climbing in the winter that covers the top of my ears and is pretty warm.
I have a lowe alpine mountain cap for the coldest weather that covers my ears. It's pretty thin so I can hear through it but still warm.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A coming out or wishful thinking ? :D

Mostly an image I wish I could get out of my head.

You did hear they're making a sequel to Brokeback Mountain didn't you? It's starring Agelina Jolie and Jennifer Lopez. Now THAT"S wishful thinking!

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If it's absolutely throwing it down then i find that no matter if i wear a hat or a hood the rain still pounds on the surface till you can't hear anything.

If it's drizzling then i just pop the hood up.
Have tried wide brimmed hats when it's raining, but i end up with water dripping down my back and a sweaty head.

For the cold i use a various woollen hats but tend to put them on only when i really really have to, i then tend to remove them when walking uphill.

Generally though i really really don't like wearing hats.
Sometimes there isn't much choice like in the middle of summer or a cold day in winter, but i tend to only wear them when it's absolutely essential.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Have tried wide brimmed hats when it's raining, but i end up with water dripping down my back and a sweaty head.....

Just how wide is the brim? I find that with 3" or wider, the drainage from the brim goes well enough back to drain onto my coat rather than inside it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE