Woolen garment to be dyed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
My wife is resolved to changing the colour of a hardly worn, but treasured jumper, from off white, to an assertive shade of violet.

Never having done anything like this before, she has ordered some Dylon dye.
"It's got salts in it and you just chuck it in the machine", apparently .

Anyone have any hints or whatnot, that might ensure a 'good job' is done.

And, why has the dye got salt in it?

Ceeg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Follow the instructions very carefully and make sure the dye your wife bought is suitable for woolen garments.

The salt acts as a mordant to help fix the dye onto the material being dyed

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If it's a treasured woolen don't put it anywhere near the sort of programs and temps. those dyes need; you won't get the same jumper out as you put in.

Organic dye is what you need, and soaking with minimal agitation so as not to ruin the wool. We have a resident expert on this in our midst and I'd be very surprised if she doesn't spot this and tell you all you need to know.

starsailor

feisty celt
Don't put it in the washing machine; Dylon do a good range of dyes for hand dyeing, so choose one of those : http://www.dylon.co.uk/en/home/products/hand-dye.cky.html
Easy to use, good clear instructions and fairly cheap.
I've used them many times over the years with good results. I'd also advise washing the jumper separately for the first few times afterwards in case of any loose dye.
Salt acts as a fixative for the dye, rather than a mordant, which is used to treat the fabric/fibre prior to dyeing. Check the fibre content of the garment against the instructions on the dye.

HTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE