majorly pimped smock!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
That is most impressive! Well done Hamish!

I have a swedish snow smock I bought off of Corso here, it's still in the package wrapping that he sent it in. It's one of those projects I'll undertake one day. Seeing what you've done is an inspiration to spur me on. I also took delivery of a sewing machine when I was in the UK last and had a couple of lessons from my mother and I'm champing at the bit to do something with it.

Anyway well impressive hand work that. Big congrats!

be sure to post some of these pix in the Swedish snow smock thread. It shows many of the fine examples of how people have made these smocks their own.

On a side note, so you're moving down south. Don't forget to bring your sunglasses and sunblock factor 20. :lmao: Yeah, I'm joking. Get some decent wellies.

ill be spending most of my time cooped up in SWMBOs tin can narrowboat so it will be ice cream and sun block all the way :lmao:

thanks for the comments folks, iv put the pics in the swedish snow smock thread too. must get round to buying some greenland wax soon

Dreadhead

just wore this out in the rain for an hour and bone dry underneath its braw :) snapped a few slightly better quality pictures for the hell of it.

first time iv worn a hood for years. does anybody else carry 50 foot of rope on the back of their head also? not easy to stuff into a hood end up all lumpy :lmao:

imag1103l.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-07-02
imag1104.jpg

imag1106.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
just wore this out in the rain for an hour and bone dry underneath its braw :)

What did you use to waterproof it? I assumed it being cotton it'd need some treatment on it to stop it acting like a giant sponge. I'm sure mine will just soak water into it, then onto me.

Nice detail on the trimming bud. Very impressive!

So is this living on the narrow boat with SWMBO a summer holiday thing or are you immigrating dahn sarf?

Dreadhead

that was without any waterproofing :) dead chuffed. but i think ill buy some greenland wax and get that rubbed in for harsher weathers.

and im moving into the boat permanently. never thought i would be living in the land of the auld enemy but needs must!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
that was without any waterproofing :) dead chuffed. but i think ill buy some greenland wax and get that rubbed in for harsher weathers.

and im moving into the boat permanently. never thought i would be living in the land of the auld enemy but needs must!

Congats to you and Watergypsy then. Bit premature calling her The Auld Enemy though. Top tip bro' don't let her read your posting... ooopsy, I quoted it. :deal:

Certainly good news about the smock appearing to be waterproof out of the wrapping. Gonna have to check mine rejects water the same, however the damn thing's 9 miles away from where I'm sat right now, along with most of my possessions inlcuding tools... soooo frustrating!

Dreadhead

haha shes acually Scottish so no bad blood there :lmao:

aye im dead chuffed with the smock so far. i will leave it as it is for testing out over the next couple of weeks until i move down south then ill set to getting it waxed and see the difference

i bet your twidling your thumbs without tools and smocks to play with haha. go throw some axes randomly into the air in different directions...garuanteed to cheer you up

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
That looks great Hamish! I love the antler buttons. I've just about finished making a snow smock myself and may see about adding some antler toggles after seeing how good they look on yours. I also used the dylon antique grey to dye my material but didn't use nearly enough dye or salt so my smocks colour has gone almost the opposit direction as yours.

Erro

All that is gold does not glisten

Dreadhead

Awesome definitly get some pictures up when your done! i acually had a very light colour in mind when i bought the dye so was initially disspointed it turned out so dark but ach im chuffed with it either way and it works with the bright leather anyway i hope :)

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Just wanted to say great smock Hamish, I have one and have done the Dylon trick too, standard Bushy OG for mine though, replaced the buttons with standard German army ones. I love the leather trim though, where did you grt the leather for it? especially as it has to be supple i suppose? your giving me ideas to pimp mine even further. I found to waterproof mine i gave it a good soaking in FABSIL the stuff for waterproofing canvas tents, worked really well.

Anyway congrats on the smock they are pucker value for the money, you'll also be glad to know the boots from the devon peeps are performing pukka, cheers for the tip.

Dreadhead

thanks Trooper :) and may i say thankyou for supporting my leatherwork on facebook :)

the leather was a gift from a good mate but you could use any leather i reckon tandyleather have an august sale on right now with some pigskin lining going cheap i say try that

good to know your boots are holding up iv had mine a fair while now and they are just great boots i wouldnt get anything else now

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Once again I'm inspired.... I got a couple of these smocks a while back, also used drylon to turn green however both could do with another dyeing. I was going to change the buttons on mine like yours as those ally ones are badly corroded and actually feel quite sharp. I'm gonna stick with the pull on though but adjusting the cuffs is my next task as they are just to tight around my wrists. I love the leather edging too. It really makes this individual. Now to find the time to make the adjustments!

Also found your Facebook Page as mentioned above... Have you a thread on here about the making of the pouches with a leaf top/closure? Would be interested to see how you've done those too.

Top job all round! goodjob

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
No Worries Fella goodjob, let me know when you progress to waistcoats on the Leatherwork front though, as the quality of your stuff looks Pukka.

thanks Trooper :) and may i say thankyou for supporting my leatherwork on facebook :)

the leather was a gift from a good mate but you could use any leather i reckon tandyleather have an august sale on right now with some pigskin lining going cheap i say try that

good to know your boots are holding up iv had mine a fair while now and they are just great boots i wouldnt get anything else now

Dreadhead

Once again I'm inspired.... I got a couple of these smocks a while back, also used drylon to turn green however both could do with another dyeing. I was going to change the buttons on mine like yours as those ally ones are badly corroded and actually feel quite sharp. I'm gonna stick with the pull on though but adjusting the cuffs is my next task as they are just to tight around my wrists. I love the leather edging too. It really makes this individual. Now to find the time to make the adjustments!

Also found your Facebook Page as mentioned above... Have you a thread on here about the making of the pouches with a leaf top/closure? Would be interested to see how you've done those too.

Top job all round! goodjob

i used this tutorial to make the pouch but just put my own spin on it with the sycamore leaf

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34930

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE