Woodstoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Woodstoves

Looking for recommendations for Woodstoves - which are , I think pretty pricey - so looking for the right mix of wallet friendly and efficient.

Would be great to support smaller business owners but also am looking for a more semi contemporary feel as opposed to frontier house style.

What make/model do people have?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It very much depends what you want it to do. Heat only? Cooking? Domestic hot water? How big a room does it need to heat?

For me as a person who relies on wood stoves after sales and parts availablity is critical. If you use it regularly you absolutely will need

Replacement fire bricks
Fire rope
Stove glass
Fire cement
Heat baffles
Door catches

and a range of sundry other items.

Contrary to popular belief you do have to maintain wood stoves so UK made, easy to service is worth paying for

Reactions: slowworm

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I have a Charnwood C4. Made on the isle of white by a lovely family who happen to be friends of friends. I bought it ex display at the end of season so managed to get a decent discount too.

Start your wood prep now though! And fill every orifice you have with spare firewood…

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just realised you didn’t specify for a indoor space, heads not working today!

Sorry - no you are correct I didn't , but I did mean internally.

I grew up with a Rayburn - to be honest , I grew , it stayed as it was. But I do like that sort of thing. I feel the Europeans do it somewhat better by having tonnes of thermal mass around them and centralised.

The stove I'm after will be for the sitting room - and hopefully modern looking enough to fit the aesthetic. Now... that does make me sound very artsy doesn't it. :)

Reactions: rowen

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The stove I'm after will be for the sitting room - and hopefully modern looking enough to fit the aesthetic.
Several possibilities here in the Dark North, from the rustic to as modern looks as you want. Not cheap though, from eur900 to eur1500. I have had two at the cottage and the present one works well.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We inherited a Hunter Herald 8 with this house and I converted it to a wood burner from multifuel. It's been fine although I'd change a few things. I'd prefer the fire bricks to be a simpler design so I don't have to buy expensive fancy shaped ones. I'd also like to have one without a hole cut in the top to provide a chimney exit. (Ours exits out the back). The doors could also be better designed.

Ours is in our lounge but we use it regularly for cooking and boiling kettles. It doesn't have a back boiler so nice and simple, and more efficient, to use.

Ideally we'd have a thermal mass stove in the lounge and a wood fired cooking stove in the kitchen but as we'd need to install a chimney/flu from scratch in the kitchen we may just have to go with a stove in the lounge.

Ours is also our main heating, so we get through quite a bit of wood which obviously takes up a fair bit of room and time to prepare.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Several possibilities here in the Dark North, from the rustic to as modern looks as you want. Not cheap though, from eur900 to eur1500. I have had two at the cottage and the present one works well.

For UK sourced Stoves you would have to be looking at double or Triple that figure.

• Wow
Reactions: TLM

CrispyDuck

Dec 31, 2020
Londonish
I have a Morso squirrel that I adore. Very easy to get spare parts, draws well and seemingly bullet proof. I use this as my sole heat source and have to admit probably abuse it.
Not the most modern looking, but the cast iron outer radiates heat so well.
Best purchase I’ve ever made for my home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 13

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In the Barn (the house) we have a Charnwood C-Seven, around £2K now but we put it in about 4 years ago. It replaced a 25 year old Villager and is much more efficient.

In the Shepherd's hut I put in an Arada Hamlet Solution 4 (less than £500 in 2021) - another British made stove and much too hot for the hut so we just run it on 'twigs' :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a charnwood that fits flush into the old fireplace, (not my choice, but if I wanted a burner, it was all that was on offer) some remodeling of the aperture was needed. I've had it nearly twenty years, fitted by the housing association, so cost me nothing, although those that opted for electric fires got a £700 kick back. Mine is multifuel, which I find is very useful if I run out of one fuel, I can use the other.
Due to it fitting flush, a kettle or pan to cook on top isn't possible. The only drawback.
I get the chimney cleaned yearly, and it realy heats the place nicely.
If I was going to fit my own choice of stove, it would be a) multifuel, b) one I could stick a pan or kettle on top.
You need to make sure it has the right kilowatt rating for the room size, so some calculations needed there.
I'd also go for something that has the ability to reburn any gasses which I think is called eeco flow, or something like that. Sorry its late, and I'm tired, can't think, but I'm sure someone else knows what I mean.
Nothing like a raeburn or aga in the kitchen though, I have had many evenings snuggled up in an armchair in the kitchen next to a raeburn. Modern galley kitchens are stupid! No room to swing a cat. We lived in the kitchen! I miss it. Radio in the background, sat at the big kitchen table crafting a rug or something, or sat in the armchair, reading or knitting jack russel at my feet, ....... ah those cosy memories!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
So it sounds like Charnwood is the way to go (?). We have an open fire with a Minster fireplace (and we do use it), but the missus wants to change it out for a proper firebox of some kind. I presume that we will need some kind of flue installation to go with the log burner, into the existing functional chimney, and the log burner can go into the fireplace. As for TeeDee’s original post, more or less, what do people recommend?

Maxsdad

Feb 22, 2015
Morpeth
Ho,
I have been using a Firefox 8 stove for the past eleven years. Other than sweeping every 2 years I have not changed or replaced anything . It runs from October through to March almost 24hrs per day on ovoids. I have never once had a problem with it despite the installer telling me 11 yrs ago it would need replacing in 5 yrs . Current retail cost is less than £900. . Speak as you find . Cheap does not always mean poor quality.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I bought a Rayburn for my shed for £50, it was a bugger to get down the two lots of decking and then the 100 odd meter’s of garden!
Loads on eBay, I filled the firebox with sand but could have fitted radiators.
Class! I’d Be starting arguments just for an excuse to be banished to the shed. :D

• Haha

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’m a huge fan of Jotul stoves, the problem with them is that they usually require a 10” flue as opposed to the normal 6” I’ve had one fitted and used regularly with a stainless twin wall flue for the last 10-12 years. While it does get swept each year it’s never needed it. Totally bomb proof.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So it sounds like Charnwood is the way to go (?). We have an open fire with a Minster fireplace (and we do use it), but the missus wants to change it out for a proper firebox of some kind. I presume that we will need some kind of flue installation to go with the log burner, into the existing functional chimney, and the log burner can go into the fireplace. As for TeeDee’s original post, more or less, what do people recommend?

The flue part can also be quite pricey - at least down here.

The Charnwood is a make Ive not heard of before yet seems popular so I will be taking a look at that.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For UK sourced Stoves you would have to be looking at double or Triple that figure.
Worth driving a van over to France in some cases as even the prices in Normandy were so much cheaper than in the UK that its just not funny.

Me? I bought a 219 quid barrel stove from Machine Mart.
Needs the same care and attention as the more expensive stoves but its not rocket science. Tiny window in the front which some people whinge over. Meh.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
There is also a firm called clearview which is based in Bishops castle in Shropshire, they have a big showroom in Ludlow. They’re also very highly regarded. Whatever you’re thinking of getting you need to check that it complies with current regs or it won’t be possible to get it signed off by the fitter or building regs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE