Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm on the going on the above course 17th - 23rd August and was just wondering if anyone else from the forum will be on it as well.

Also if anyone has been on one recently is there any tips or extra little things to take with me etc? I want to know just general things without giving away much if you know what I mean :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Also if anyone has been on one recently is there any tips or extra little things to take with me etc?

Some comfy clothes, nothing expensive just enough to keep you warm and dry, it can be chilly in the mornings so a woolly hat and maybe a woolly jumper.

A good sleeping bag, something you know will keep you warm through the night,
sleeping mat,
sunbloc,
lipsalve,
change of clothes for the journey home

Nothing else really, the course is all about getting by with less gear, they will supply tarp, bivvy bag, knife, saw, billy etc. The less you take on the course the more impressed you'll be with yourself at the end.

Have fun

;)

Nothing too far, about 3 or 4 miles a day, perhaps a bit less, but if you are carrying a lot of kit, it feels like miles and miles more. Taking a change of cloths for the journey home is a good idea. I didn't. I only had the cloths I was in and one change which I used during the course. In the end, both sets were really dirty. Then, because I live in Northern Ireland, I had to fly home. Believe me when I turned up at the airport looking like a tramp in trousers that were covered in mud (you spend a good amount of time on your knees lighting fires etc) and a Swandry shirt and pretty muddy boots I got a lot of funny looks, especially when I had a shave in the public toilets. A security guard at Gatwick asked me if I was either going to Canada or looking for somewhere to sleep, lol.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mesquite,
I'll echo what the guys have already mentioned and add just one small but important thing.... something to keep the midges at bay. It's the one minor downer on an otherwise fantastic week. I learnt loads of fine detail stuff and had a ball.

Hope you enjoy it

ATB

Ogri the trog

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Same as the others have said. Most stuff you need is provided, a small tent is a good thing to take for your first night and for dumping all your items in throughout the week as you gather and create. Take some brown paper bags for collecting tinders and stuffing in your pockets, they dont trap the moisture as much but give some protection from the damp.
You will have a great time.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Things I found handy:

Chocolate (I'm partial to a bit of chocolate, and it's a nice thing to have when the days is done)
Spare set of going home clobber (can be left in your tent)
Charcloth (handy to get a fire going easily as it provides a good ember)
Wet wipes (you'll not get much time to shower and these are handy little things to stay fresh)
Book on plant ID - pocket sized (its nice to have a more detailed look at the stuff you see as you move around)

As for the rest, well I didn't need much bug repellent if at all. Travel light and only take the basics. You will not need, ipods, books, magazines, multiple toiletries or stuff like that.

Have fun, they're all thoroughly great instructors.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nothing else really, the course is all about getting by with less gear, they will supply tarp, bivvy bag, knife, saw, billy etc. The less you take on the course the more impressed you'll be with yourself at the end.

Woodlore will be giving you a knife, you'll not be wanting Bernie's then :D
fighting0085.gif

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Make sure everything fits inside your rucksack. One of the guys on my course had his sleeping bag (think size XXXL) on top :rolleyes: of his pack. It constantly fell off during the 3-4 mile hike and got damp due to the heavy rain we were in.

Also bring a good sense of humour ;) and a joke or two.

Enjoy!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I'm on the going on the above course 17th - 23rd August and was just wondering if anyone else from the forum will be on it as well.

Also if anyone has been on one recently is there any tips or extra little things to take with me etc? I want to know just general things without giving away much if you know what I mean :)

Double check the kit list for the course, it's available on the Woodlore website.

THEY DON'T SUPPLY A BIVI BAG ANYMORE - you'll need to source your own. Ex military ones aren't too dear from eBay and you can still get hold of plain green one's if you don't fancy DPM (camouflage pattern).

I took my own tarp for the course as I find the ones they issue a tad too small for me, but then again, I am a fairly long streak of widdle!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nothing else really, the course is all about getting by with less gear, they will supply tarp, bivvy bag, knife, saw, billy etc.

Just checked my kit list they sent out and no mention of them supplying a bivi bag. Doesn't matter as I'll probably use mine as I know me and my sleeping bag can fit into it comfortably :)

I think it does say on the course bumpf...'no sharps'. So no saw or knife necessary, quite correct.

Hmmmm... in the bumph it mentions being given a knife and loaned a saw but the only thing banned is the use of an axe.
Travel light and only take the basics. You will not need, ipods, books, magazines, multiple toiletries or stuff like that.

That's what I was planning to do. I figured that we'll be kept on the go most of the time so there won't be much time to sit down and read anything and if there is a moment of rest that's what I'll do :)

Have fun, they're all thoroughly great instructors.

That's just what I am going to do. Got to admit I am looking forward to it. It's only 3 weeks, 4 days to go before it starts (not that I'm counting :D )

ANyway thanks for the tips everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I'll let people know how it went when I get back :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just checked my kit list they sent out and no mention of them supplying a bivi bag. Doesn't matter as I'll probably use mine as I know me and my sleeping bag can fit into it comfortably

Good thing you checked, that could have been a wet week based on my out of date advice, I'll get me coat...

:(

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
THEY DON'T SUPPLY A BIVI BAG ANYMORE - you'll need to source your own. Ex military ones aren't too dear from eBay and you can still get hold of plain green one's if you don't fancy DPM (camouflage pattern).

Thanks for that SY. I had noticed they mentioned we had to bring one on the kit list along with a lightweight tent or similar shelter (Woodlore's wording). As I said in my previous posting I'll use my own bivi bag :)

I took my own tarp for the course as I find the ones they issue a tad too small for me, but then again, I am a fairly long streak of widdle!

I'll probably take my own as well in that case as I prefer to have a bit of spare room and not be scrunched up :D

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Celt_Ginger & bow drill,

Were you on the same soggy Fundamental as me 21-27 May 2006? Nettie Stickler as course leader. I'm the ugly bloke below.......

Ugly_bloke_2.jpg

Dave

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
By no sharps I meant you don't need to take any, you'll get a clipper and loaned a saw.

I'm ever so slightly envious, I loved my week there and I'm now selling off unused fishing kit in order to fund another as soon as possible, I'm considering the camp craft or woodsense before undertaking the journeyman though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE