Where do we come from - What are our backgrounds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
My earliest memory that I can accurately place by age is when I was nearly 4 years old and we were travelling in East Anglia somewhere. Sleeping in the wagon at night and being woken by a great droning noise that seemed to shake the Bow Top and made my dog Trix, who used to sleep under the wagon, bark. The sound seemed to last for ages and it was only many years later that I found out it was flights of aircraft carrying food and supplies on the Berlin Airlift for the German people because the Russians had blocked the City.
For many nights (it always seemed to be at night) the aircraft flew over the farm where we were in a Paddock. Dad was working there for a few weeks. The aircraft came from somewhere over by Liverpool I believe.

I got used to the regular flights after a time. When I got to 4 Mum allowed me to sleep in the straw under the wagon with Trix and we used to lay awake and hear the planes going over on the warm nights and look up and try to spot all the tiny lights in the sky.
I have quite an interest in living waggons, having drawings and books on them including on how to build bowtops—was in contact some time ago with a wheelwright in England who sent me extra stuff. Maternally i have an ancestor, who was in the west Northants area near Eyedon, called Mary Rawlins whom i think was a Romany (Rawlin(g)s is a Southern England Gypsy surname), nothing about her in parish records except for her death, she being in a common law marriage; her two sons used her surname not their father’s (a common Romany practise), and her eldest son of whom i’m decended from was itinerant. T’aven baxtale!

Otherwise…i’m a savage LOL.

Last edited:

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
I’m surprised at how early some folks here remember, as in my experience most don‘t remember before going to school. Should i have grown up with them i like to embarrass them with what they forget doing as children! :D

I used to think someone was lying when they couldn‘t remember what they said (for example) a fortnight earlier, when they simply didn‘t remember it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE