Woodland Wisdom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear Nod.

As promised a bit of help on tree ID. I think it best to cover this subject over three or four posting as it is a vast subject and we need to start with the basics, but I guarantee you, that you will beable to identify at least two different species of tree by the end of this post.....if you can’t I will give you £100!!

Tree ID is a subject that can scare the hell out of you at first and some people like to intimidate with there ID knowledge, but like I always say, don’t be intimidated by anyone!........never let anyone knock your confidence.
Its a subject that never ends as you are always learning, as once you have learnt the basic’s, you can then go into great detail, I know of people who can identify trees within a woodland, at night and without even looking at them. They can do this by identifying the individual moth species, as certain moths live only on certain trees!!

The best analogy for learning tree ID is like starting a immense jigsaw puzzle, but someone’s lost the box with the picture on and you don’t even know how many pieces there are, but, like a jigsaw puzzle, once you have done it a few times it all starts making sense.

So the first thing is not to panic, it won’t be long before you can identify a tree half a mile away just by its overall shape. You will need a good tree book so you can take all of your observations home and use the book to confirm your own findings.

As the autumn tide flows through our woodlands it presents us with a extraordinary time to learn tree ID as we have every available species indicator at hand. At this time of year, we still have the leaves on the tree so you can see there shape and colour, you can see the shape of the crown ( the bushy bit on top of the trunk) with the leaves on. Give it a month or so and you can see the shape of the crown ( yes, the bushy bit on top of the trunk) without the leaves on- a before and after effect, if you like. The fruit is either still on the tree or laying close by-in a good year an Oak can produce as many as 50,000 acorns. Not all of us realise it, but we already know a lot of our trees we have just forgot to make the connection.
Think about it, we know that Conkers come from Horse Chestnut, Acorns come from Oak, Hazelnuts from Hazel, Sloes come from Blackthorn etc etc, just have a look up at the tree they came from and try and make a note of what the bark is like, is it thick or thin, is it smooth or is it rough. What are the leaves like, are they big or are they small are they hairy or smooth, make a note of the finest details, is it growing in a wet ground or dry etc and write it down in a note book. You are now starting to build your own tree ID log ( no joke intended) carry it with you and keep adding to it every time you go out. The next time you are out and about, try and make the connection between your notes and the trees you come across, its surprising how quick you will pick this up.

But before we go any further, we must just make the distinction between our tree groups. We have two, broad-leaved and conifers, usually we can tell the difference on the shape alone. Conifers tend to be straight and slender, they mostly have leaves like needles and the needles stay on the tree or year round, so this is why we call them ‘ evergreens’! By contrast, most broadleaved trees in our woodlands and parks are deciduous which means that they drop there leafs every autumn, the leaves at this stag after the growing season ( spring – autumn) are pretty worn out and damaged so they need to be replaced for next year so the tree sheds them. The term broadleaved is used, because quite simply, they have broad leaves!

So Nod, your thought that you couldn’t identify trees...........already, you can tell the difference between the two groups, one being a broadleaved and one being a evergreen!.....does that mean my £100 is safe?..pheeeeew!

Well done, sit down and have a rest and we will start part 2 soon.............But for your home work, I want you to find the most common tree in your area, and we will work on that one next time, because its easier to start with a tree you most often see and then you can use the same method to identify every other tree.

If you have any questions in between, just ask.

Best wishes
Jack Beckett
Woodland Organics

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Thanks Jack. Don't worry, your £100 is safe.
You're right about knowing some already. Horse Chesnut, Oak etc. I can recognise Ash and have started to note the characteristics of Sycamore too, after your suggestions about peeling the bark and cutting & carving the wood.

I was thinking back to when I was a kid too. I knew loads of trees, but have just forgotten. Probably because I spent more time out in the wilds when I was young than I have done until now. Beech for instance, and Poplar.....fell out of many of those during the summer holidays!!!!

I've started my homework. I see a lot of what I think are Maples (Maple shaped leaves, some maroon, some green) and Birches. But I seem to have trouble pinpointing which variety they are. I'll be out again at the weekend so will swot up with my book to try and get a firm ID.
Thanks again for your help Jack.

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Nod

I'm lucky in that I live very close to a large tract of woodland (Cannock Chase), now alas mostly coniferous plantations, but the Forestry Commission is finaly seeing sense and replanting with broadleaves. Back to the point, as a refresher I picked up a copy of Collins Gem Trees (ISBN 0-00-711074-X ), which is a wonderful tiny little field gide ( to re enfoce what you remember, and put you right if you get it wrong), £4.99 from any bookshop and tiny enough to fit in any jacket (or trouser) pocket so you can always have it with you. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Shaun

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Thanks Shaun, I'll see if I can get a copy.

Jack, I did my homework. Birch is very prevalent in my local woods, so can we start with that.

Also, I now know Field Maple, but only because the FC put a post up with a plate on it stating what it was. That was a good idea I thought, as it's easier to take a good look at the specimen, with a pos ID and then note the characteristics while it's there in front of you.

J

Jamie

Hey Nod

Another great ident book on trees is one by a bloke called Roger Phillips. Its called Trees in Britain, Europe and North America ( www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0330254804/qid=1066835965/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-9706231-6767024 ) and is one I use heavily. The only problem with it is that, although not a thick tome, it is the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

That being said, it is one that I carry with me at all times when I am out and about (pretty much 3 days a week!).

Good luck and any more help....just ask!!!

Jamie

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Jamie said:
Hey Nod

Another great ident book on trees is one by a bloke called Roger Phillips. Its called Trees in Britain, Europe and North America ( www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0330254804/qid=1066835965/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-9706231-6767024 ) and is one I use heavily. The only problem with it is that, although not a thick tome, it is the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

That being said, it is one that I carry with me at all times when I am out and about (pretty much 3 days a week!).

Good luck and any more help....just ask!!!

Jamie

The cheap bookshops have been selling it for £5, excellent price.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
One excercise that my other half has used, when she has been told what a tree or bush is, or has ID'd one from a book.

Take a leaf with you (one off the ground is good if they are falling) then keep on wandering until you find another one the same (not from the same plant). :wink:

It helps you to apply your observations of the one in your hand to everything else, and helps you spot the differences and peculiarities.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
the Roger Phillips book has some further,equally good identification guides,the most useful one is his guide to fungi. also has one on grasses,mosses and lichen and another on shrubs and bushes.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
The readers digest nature series are excellent books and the trees one gives interesting information not just on the trees but what the wood is used for and has been used for in history, or any folklore and tradition connected with the tree.. Blackthorn - Irish Sheleglegh(not sure if I've spelt thet right) Wild Service tree - Cross bow stocks in the middle ages etc. An excellent book from an excellent series

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Best book for tree ID AND INFO is

TREES & BUSHES of Britian & Europe, by Oleg Polunin

i HINK THE ISBN IS 586 08312 X or similar mines to dog earred I cant read the number.

Happy hunting!

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
Hi Chaps.
This is my 1st post on this part of the forum.
I got a great book for christmas off my wife (even if i did spot it and demand it myself!) 'The Natural History of the British Isles' by M&P Briggs.
It's a fantastic and easy to read book although large and heavy. I got it for £5.
It's full of large colour photos and split down into several sections:
House, Garden and Park
Farmland, hedgerows and verges
Woods and Forests
Heaths, Downs, Moors and Mountains
Rivers, lakes, Ponds and Marshes
Sea and Seashore

Each of the sections deals with species associated to that particular habitat:
Trees, Plants, Fungus, Insects, animals and birds.

Each page gives interesting facts and descriptions/identifications and folklore.

It really is a fantastic book and i'd highly recommend it for the person who doesn't like being bogged down by too much detail.
I regularly go out into my local woods when taking the dog out for some exercise.
She loves the place as much as me!
Without taking the book along, I've started by observing the trees individualness compared to others and also fungus growing from some.
When I came back I looked up in the book and have identified at the moment 2 types of common trees:
Common Ash
Common Hazel

The book has given me a whole new perspective.

With the common hazel for example the book states that it is an extremely useful tree for the country dweller, both human and animal and has a wealth of folklore surrounding it.
The hazel rod was said to ward of evil spirits and was the best twig or 'witching hand' for water divining. In medievil England it was a symbol of fertility, often used in marriage ceremomies.
People often carried them to ward off rheumatism, and burn them as offerings to the gods.
The nuts are eaten by squirrels and are important for the survival of the native dormouse. Hazel is used for fencing, walking sticks, whip handles (if your kinky ha ha!), ties for fastening thatch and charcoal for gunpowder.
So just from reading that I know something now about it's current importance, it's historical influences and about what wildlife I may come across in the wood!
When I become a fully fledged bushwacker bob, I'll be able to get stuck in there and make use of what the wood has to offer.
I also want to pass on my learning to the local children.
I sense wisdom and wonderment creeping deeper into my veins.
New opportunities may potentially arise for me in the community and help make it a better place to live for the children.
If anyone would like to offer me more personal knowledge to aid in my learning and wisdom then please feel free to comment or post
cheers lads!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
My personal favorite is Collins Pocket Guide: Trees of Britain and Northern Europe by Alan Mitchell. ISBN: 0002198576
Not really pocket sized unless you have big pockets but a great book!
I had it with me pretty much all the time last year and it was really helpful!

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
went to the shop 'the Works' other day and came upon 3 more good books that I couldn't resist buying at £2 each!
1. Wild Flowers
2. Mushrooms
3. Trees

All 3 are in a series 'a photographic guide to.........of Britain and Europe' by Paul Sterry.
Not as compact as the Collins Type. Mainly gives a relatively in-depth description and location but no other interesting facts or uses.
The mushroom book more valuable in that it tells you which are edible, edible & tasty, poisonous or avoid if unsure etc.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Those sound like a super deal mac ...

mac said:
went to the shop 'the Works' other day and came upon 3 more good books that I couldn't resist buying at £2 each!
1. Wild Flowers
2. Mushrooms
3. Trees

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Mac,
We've got 'The natural History of the British Isles' too. Great book. We've also got, in the same series, 'The Country Life Book of the Living History of Britain'. Same sort of thing. I recomend them.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I must agree, the Works is my little cave of delight, always finding really interseting books.

Just the other day I bought a book o the indigenous hisotry of this country, one on indigenous cultures from around the world and another of the evolution of humans all for 11 pounds, any two were big books.

There, bit of shameless promotion :)

V

Vila

Oooh, I'd forgotten all about the Works, every now and then I've been able to pick up something really useful from there.

I learned to recognise the Lime Tree when Thomas Pakenham described it as a tree with whiskers in his book "Meetings with Remarkable Trees". http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...906/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-6844629-9122050

Those kind of associations are really useful for fixing something in your mind. Especially if you associate something humourous with the bit of info you're trying to fix. You know, the whole Tony Buzan, Mind Maps and Association thingy.

There seem to be countless versions of the same book on sale, all sizes, paperback and hardback too. It's a lovely book but not strictly a Tree ID guide as such, even though it does give you a marvelous insight into the nature of some of our genuinely amazing trees.

Regards
Vila
:smile:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE