Woodland owner seeking diversification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I am so far down the line with this ,i will see it through if it doesnt work out i still have a magical site to camp ,the natural bushcraft boys came last weekend and had a great time , which gave me a little boost , i am not thinking i am going to be a millionaire out of this project, its more about taking things a bit easier and wanting to share my passion for the outdoors and camping etc ,you are all very welcome to come and try my place , im most lucky because of its position. google it ,give you an idea TQ130JQ left of all the buildings borders the open moor, feed back appreciated Ivan

I'm in TQ14. I'd love to come along and have a look some time.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Hi Zarkwon sorry postcode was wrong its TQ110JQ to the left of all buildings bordering the open moor , and yes feel free to come and havve a nose around whenever suits you best wishes Ivan

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you for all the posts. Its very interesting to note the wide degree of opinion and ideas. I notice only one person so far mentions signing a disclaimer in case of self inflicted injury or any injury come to that. No mention of Treebogs or alternative waste treatment, would bushcraft people prefer a portaloo for instance? I think I need to attend one of these events to see really, and will do so, but please continue with your thoughts and advice as I am glad of any information you care to pass on.
With regards water I assume everyone is referring to tap water and not natural springs or brooks that may be in woodland.My thoughts on distance between venues would be, does it matter how far apart they are? each one would have something to offer the bushcrafter and people would,i think, form their own opinions after visiting. But thats just my personal view.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thank you for all the posts. Its very interesting to note the wide degree of opinion and ideas. I notice only one person so far mentions signing a disclaimer in case of self inflicted injury or any injury come to that. No mention of Treebogs or alternative waste treatment, would bushcraft people prefer a portaloo for instance? I think I need to attend one of these events to see really, and will do so, but please continue with your thoughts and advice as I am glad of any information you care to pass on.
With regards water I assume everyone is referring to tap water and not natural springs or brooks that may be in woodland.My thoughts on distance between venues would be, does it matter how far apart they are? each one would have something to offer the bushcrafter and people would,i think, form their own opinions after visiting. But thats just my personal view.

There's a Meet 25 -27 Feb:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66021

I'm sure Steve can answer some of the questions as he organises all Meets that take place there and the rest of us will chip in an idea or too

Feb 6, 2011
none
I think distance would not be so important as the site and facilities, its all a gamble ,on the disclaimer note , its tricky the silly thing is you can buy insurance for a 2 week holiday in majorca whilst you are getting your shopping in tescos for 35 quid , but i have been told a disclaimer is not worth the paper its written on, i personally think insurance is a choice , once you are clear on the dangers Ivan

Feb 6, 2011
none
Maybe opening myself a can of worms but if any of you guys want to come and have a freebie on me , some how i am sure we can organise it soon , any body stir crazy since christmas and all , and itching to camp ring me on 01364643848 Ivan

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i think in these situations the real issue is how close the various camp sites are together. people are prepared to have a wander down to a toilet block or a water point but what can really grate is the proximity of other parties.

also ive been to places where there was a toilet tent, which wasnt plumbed in and consisted of a rubber bag stretched over a wooden seat arrangement. you filled it, tied it and dropped it in a pail in the corner.

the guy also dropped a 5 gallon bottle of water for your use.

so yeah - facilities can be basic. proximity is the important one in my book.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset

Hi there and thank you for the potental offer. I have been to a site a lot like you are proposing near Heriford is a great site would go much more often but cant afford the hundred or so pounds it cost me to go there. Think about a semi crude composting toilet. And I personally would limit access too people on this site. The bushcraft people are for the most part going to look after you and your site. The disclaimer is a iffy thing but helps to keep people aware of being responable for there actions and safety. The idea put forward about bringing firewood with you is a way to keep the wood as natural as possable. Some people will have no problem using water from the stream but make a sign or something stating that the water is not for human consumtion. Make contact with anyone you allow to use the site to let them know what you expect of them and what they what to use the site for. Be furm and and let them know what you will not allow, things like no cutting trees and such. Without a lot of investment you will probaly never get a income but you will meet some good people who will help you to expand your bushcraft skills and make some great friends. Good luck and I look forward to meeting you.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
i would look into treebogs as they are in keeping with the wood and easy to make. insurance i would try a company called blackfriers for the public liablity. if you need help or advise about the management of your wood just PM me.

treelore

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
On the subject of bogs, ...Environment Agency hotting up on this and anyone with a cesspit/sceptic tank has had to formally register it as of last year. Free to do for home owners but story might be a little different for commercial concerns with formal waste permits required. Intention is to manage and protect the watercourse from pollution. Not sure where composting toilets in commercial operations fit into the schema but something to 'bottom out'

Looks like the bears might not get away with it for much longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE