Woodland owner seeking diversification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 22, 2010
As a woodland owner I am interested in hosting bushcraft events.Does anyone have an idea of prices for these events and what facilities would be required other than the woodland itself?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not many facilities really. A toilet and running water would cover it, and keep the woods cleaner. People charge anywhere between £4 and £10 a night for individuals.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I can think of a few in here that would come, just give us the nod and we will pop down maybe for a weekend and check it out and advise you

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Maybe spin along to an established meet to see how we roll and get a better understanding of how they work? Fair play to you for owning land and actually wanting people to enjoy and use it how it was intended. I wish there were more landowners like you out there!

rancid badger

Thanks, is it sustainable at that price?

A sustainable price, is what ever you say it is, surely?:confused:

It's your woodland and its you who will be providing toilet facilities ( or not), drinking water and parking. What's that going to cost you?

Then I wouldn't put too much store in how long your firewood reserves will last, if you start to get punters coming along, collecting up the available dead wood and burning it.

You may well find, that once the wood in any particular area is used up, you need to either move the camp sites or bring wood in from other area's of the woodland, even perhaps having to cut the odd tree down to provide adequate fuel supplies.
How will you do this? do you already have the tools and equipment available for tree work? Do you have a suitable means of transport for shifting the timber?

You will also need to sort out a booking system,emergency action plan's,waste disposal,regular visual safety checks and clean ups of the site.

And of course: INSURANCE and all the admin and paperwork that goes with it.

So, by the time you've sorted out all the above and more, is it sustainable at that price?

I'd suggest not.

If you're simply trying to weigh up the viability, then find out what else is available to "bushcrafters" within a hundred miles of your particular location.
Find out what the other providers ( if any?) charge and what they provide for the money paid.

Then work out what it's going to cost you, in total, remembering what your normal hourly rate is and go from there.

Hope this helps

atb

R.B.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Iam just starting such a venture, its been 4 years in the planning, i am lucky enough to own 12 acres of woodland that we have not touched for 30 years, the location is important ,access,safe and secure parking, not too far to walk to the site ,ample firewood and we have a natural spring and stream running through the middle of the wood,reasonably level camping areas,i only live a 10 minute walk from the site . insurance medivac landing area risk asessment, and the back up of emergency accomodation should the need arise .safe lockable storage ,and of course direct access from the woods to 368 square miles of dartmoor national park. therein lies the planning issues they cant stop you doing anything for 28 days a year , but after that its a change of use issue . there are ways around it but you will have to pay an educated archie planning consultant about 300 quid. after that its plain sailing my ****. dont advertise all over the place, try and stick to bushcrafters they are respectful decent folk

Feb 6, 2011
none
Oh and as a foot note like the other poster said try and be at least 100 miles away from another site especially if they have more to offer than you ,you may be expected to provide clean water, firewood and greet your guests to show them the site ,where they can have fires go to the loo etc , but do not put up a huge list of rules . how would you feel if you turned up and there was a list of all the things you couldnt do ?personally couldnt stick too much camping if i couldnt have a fire . you wont get the bucket and spade brigade and as have said before nearly all bushcrafters respect your land nature etc and most adhere to the leave no trace . but remember the litter and human waste disposal

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I've been casually looking around hereford for as site to use...so like the sounds of a worcester based camp.....if it goes ahead please keep us all informed

Mojo

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Running on the 28 day rule, paying the £280-00 insurance (within our 5m liability cover), getting in enough good dry firewood for the year, say five tons (nothing is more miserable than a sssssss fire:)), keeping the loo clean, providing loo paper and making sure the seat is down when not in use (keeps kritters from drowning in the water), providing running water and making sure it does not freeze in the winter, HSE tree assessment (by qualified level 2 bod) and periodic checks after that, providing fire baskets and picking them up when they are left out, litter picking, keeping brambles at bay, mmm I've forgotten more, sorry. All for £5-00 per person per night!
Good luck.:cool:
Swyn.

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Good luck to both of you with the sites. Once concerns me more than the other though, I'm not squeeling like a pig for anyone ;)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
People assume all bushcrafty campsites MUST provide wood. Why not just request people bring their own? I have no problem stopping by a garage on the way to a camp to buy a sack or three.

I would say Toilet's and Water supply only.

Designate a couple or more firepits and just look into any legal stuff like insurance etc..

I would be very happy to go to a wood land, bring my own wood, sign a form to say land owner is not to blame if I slice my leg off by accident etc..

Feb 6, 2011
none
I am so far down the line with this ,i will see it through if it doesnt work out i still have a magical site to camp ,the natural bushcraft boys came last weekend and had a great time , which gave me a little boost , i am not thinking i am going to be a millionaire out of this project, its more about taking things a bit easier and wanting to share my passion for the outdoors and camping etc ,you are all very welcome to come and try my place , im most lucky because of its position. google it ,give you an idea TQ110JQ left of all the buildings borders the open moor, feed back appreciated Ivan

Last edited:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
If you need a suorce of labour to help out with any building, clearing, rhoddy bashing etc - I know of a place where there are 19031 enthusiasts who might help you out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE