Wooden Camp Chair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
:dunno: I have seen people sitting around campfires on seats that appear to be made out of two planks.
Having recently acquired a Froe to help me split timber, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make one of these seats thanks Chas

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Any other chair designs? Unless you have a hammock or a stump/log lying around it's something I greatly appreciate in the woods

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Biddlesby said:
Any other chair designs? Unless you have a hammock or a stump/log lying around it's something I greatly appreciate in the woods

Wasn't there something about a chair design demonstrated at one of the Scottish meets - I'll leave it for you to search it out for us. :p

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There's always the trusty tripod. About 3 feet high with a rope woven back-rest between two of the poles - you sit on the floor and lean against the rope or whatever skin there is to hand.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's pretty cool - but I'm sticking with my 3 stick camp stool (the one refered to up thread, which I demo'd at one of the Achray meets). It's quick and easy to make, provided you've got some decent strong cordage and a sharp knife. :)

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
thanks for all the excellent input, I intend to make the plank chair first, and then while I am relaxing in that I can make some cordage for a tripod chair. Then enjoy making one of the tripod designs
Chas

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmm... you'll need very good cordage for the three-legged stool - the top cord is actually supporting your weight. You might get away with homemade cordage for the binding and tensioning ropes, but for the top you'll need rope if you're making it yourself. I generally use paracord for the binding and the tensioner, and climbers accessory cord for the seat.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
There were several large scale seats like this made at the Moot in Braziers Park a couple of years ago. They were about 5' tall, good looking and made from some pieces of slabwood that were left for the fire. Talented chap doing the jointing work but with the roughest chainsaw that I had seen for many years!
Swyn.

I guess to my original question - while the Scout design and the beautiful detailed designs look nice, I am interested in how I could make a 2-plank chair with a knife (Mora) and a Small Forest Axe and some time... the Scout design (the downloadable PDF referenced in a post below) shows a couple of blocks that are nailed to keep the flexing of the 2 pieces at a minimum, but I won't have nails. And to carve out the slot... hmmm... of course, getting the planks will be tricky too.

Just wonderin' out loud here.

Mungo

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that's a pretty good summary of the problems I have with that design. Great if you've got sawn planks, a brace and bit, and a decent set of chisels (and maybe a fretsaw) - or a chainsaw - but a bit tricky with raw logs, an axe, and a knife...

All I can think is that you could split / hew the planks with the axe (and maybe some wedges), provided your timber is straight-grained and splits well (Sweet Chestnut or Cedar would be ideal). I guess you would have to cut the slot out like you were cutting a mortice. Do-able with a knife, but a lot of work in any timber strong enough to be useful.

Of course, you often see driftwood planks on the coast... That would help for starters. But they tend to be a bit narrow and bendy for this sort of thing.

Come to think of it, timber big enough to make a comfortable chair with this method is likely to be pretty hard to come by in Britain. You're going to need planks at least a foot wide, which means carving up a decent-sized tree. Finding a dead but sound tree of the right sort of wood and the right size might be tricky, and even if you do it's a valuable habitat. And surely none of us would consider felling a live tree for such a purpose...

Maybe a nice thing to make in the shed from bought timber, but I don't see it being field-expedient. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE