Winter Car Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The more cars drive over the snow the better it breaks up although last year it turned icy overnight.

Far from my experience. The number of times I have seen the mentally impaired driving two wheel drive Euroboxes gunning the engine, spinning the wheels and polishing the road surface to a lovely shiny surface is almsot innumerable.

Give me a nice foot of powdery snow, no problem. Nice compacted ice covered with urban idiots who don't know how to drive......gridlock!

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
small spade, bag of sand and grit mix, ice axe (for breaking up hard packed iced sections in car parks etc), gloves, a hi vis fleece lined jacket (no idea of the brand it came free with a job, but i've been snugg and warm in it camping out at -15), wind up torch, omni stove, pot with packet rice, soup, spork, cocoa packed inside, loads of fuel for the stove (i'm a fire juggler so all that work kit is in the boot already, sleeping bag, boots, spare socks, a small led bike light (it'll flash as a marker light for ages on it's batteries) and other bits and pieces depending on what my journey is. don't usually bother with more than a small bottle of water, with the stove and fire lighting kit and snow all around it's covered, besides having a task helps pass the time.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
locum76 said:
Is this kit really neccessary anywhere in the UK apart from in the Highlands?
Well, the torrental rain and flooding that jammed up the roads for days at the begining of '07, and with the heavy snow falls in the last 3 years, I'd say yes. Even if you're not actually driving when you get stuck, can you survive comfortably on the stuff you have at work, or if you get stuck in a car park, without this gear.

Also, and I know this might be controvertial, how about making sure your vehicle is well maintained, and that you know how to drive in adverse conditions. I Living on a hill, with a tight right hander at the bottom, which is well used by people driving to college, you wouldnt believe the number of cars that were abbandoned 1/2 way up/down and left 3feet from the curb, just because the drivers dont know how to drive with a bit of snow on the ground, and werent prepared enough to have a bag of salt in the car.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE