Winter Car Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Has anyone mentioned tin foil and gaffa tape. Tape up the windows to keep it a bit warmer if you get stuck. Also a pump so you could deflate/inflate the tyres.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One thing I have thought about is snow tyres and whether they are worth it, I have to drive at least 10miles along country roads before I hit a dual carriageway and some bits of these roads are pretty exposed. Currently my tyres have reasonable tread, 5mm on the front and 7mm on the rear. I think last year maybe a handful of people had snow tyres on, distincive noise they make on tarmac is a give away. So would snow tyres be worth an investment or are they not really needed for this country?

I would never do without the snow tyres (which would be illegal here anyway). The rubber is different, a normal tyre turns hard and un-grippy in the cold, and the design of the pattern makes them grip a bit on the ice. Best is a studded tyre, but those are illegal in the UK IIRC, but even the stud-less winter tyres are quite good

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I've found this thread really useful. I posted a whole list of stuff - most of which I already had in place. But having written it I was committed - so now have the pattern 58 bag and my round point shovel safely stowed as well.

The next thing I'm thinking of is an emergency brew-up kit, and a couple of rat-packs.

A9 can become pretty arctic very quickly in the winter, and i hammer up and down it quite regularly, usually in the middle of the night.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
The old fashioned winter car bag used to contain; raisins, chocolate, newspaper (insulation, windscreen cover, fuel), candles, matches and water. Ultimately; stay with you vehicle (aka shelter, snow cave, etc) unless absolutely necessary.

"When I were a lad"... my Mum told me a story about a neighbour of ours who managed to drive about 2.5 miles from home before becomming stuck in a snow drift. Being so close to home he got out of the car to walk home but only made it half way. Apparently they found his body a few days later. (Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire. Circa mid 1970's - not sure exactly).

Chris

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
In parts of the world where winter weather is no laughing matter, eg: Alaska, I am led to believe that the emergency food ration of choice to keep in the boot is tinned dog or cat food: it's edible if you really need it but you won't be tempted to snack on it at other times and forget to replace it!

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Yeah, good point. You could partially cover the smallest window. Also If I were in the car with SWMBO I'd probablly like a hip flask, filled with Quinta Ruban. Then she'd have to drive when the time came :)

forestwalker

I also second a supply of water in a squeezy with screenwash added, for those very cold moments (such as last winter) when even anti-freeze laden screenwash systems froze solid and your wipers just distribute road smir over the windscreen. With a squeezy bottle you can just lean out the window and squirt on the screen to clear it (stopping the car first, of course).

How much do you guys dilute the washer fluid? Wintertime I go 1:1, which means it won't freeze until about -38 C or so. A Squeezy with the pure stuff(i.e. 100% of whatever alcohol they use these days) is handy though. Something iced up; spray some on it.

forestwalker

Has anyone mentioned tin foil and gaffa tape. Tape up the windows to keep it a bit warmer if you get stuck. Also a pump so you could deflate/inflate the tyres.

Around here you can buy cut-and-hemmed chunks of "alu" tarpulin (you know, the ones with one shiny side), intended to put on your windscreen at night, to keep it from frosting up (works, you only get frost on the tarp, not the windscreen).

forestwalker

My car usually contains a jumble of handy stuff. The M90 parka (hoodless version) I use when hunting often gets left in the car, as does the ugly orange polyester beanie used when hunting. A wool blanket, probably more than one, a Swedish army cookpot (as in the "Army Trangias"), an axe, a knife, some matches, a first aid kit, a good shovel. One of the hi-viz vests (don't want to get killed by accident while walking out or fixing a flat).

Thinking of adding a "come-along" winch (there is already a towrope), and a pair of skis or snowshoes.

The Petzl Zipka is always in a pocket, and I tend to dress sensibly. Mostly a night in the car would be a matter of being bored, uncomfortable and probably slightly cold.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I believe the safest thing to do if one breaks down, especially on fast roads is to get out of the car and retreat a safe distance? Now how a person or family could do this in the depths of winter safely from a temperature point of view is another matter?

Steve.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Our next door neighbour when we lived near Saffron Walden in Essex got stuck in the snow coming back from the pub in the next village. The car couldn't move and the drifts were too big to get through. They had to spend the night in the car only three miles from home.

Similar to a mate of mine last year. He got stuck about the same distance from his in laws house, but with two kids under 3 in the car, walking in a white out with drifts taller than they were just wasn't an option.

Hence a very, very uncomfortable night in the car. Thankfully he had a 3/4 full tank, as they had to leave the engine on all night for the heat. Without that, they'd have been in real trouble.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the usual kit in my van (it's a converted VW T4 and has cooker, food etc. The only extra I put in for winter is some snow chains that live behind the drivers seat

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Maplin sell a small AAA battery link for your phone. Also an MRE is handy. I have my climbing snow shovel in the boot. We had a lot of snow problems here in central scotland. I think more folk will be better prepared. The problem on a single carriageway is of one car gets stuck it then creates tailbacks and you lose momentum. The more cars drive over the snow the better it breaks up although last year it turned icy overnight. My whole estate turned into a huge carpark for a mile around the acces road towards the M9. Luckily I work only 1mile from home. So whatever the weather I'll get in. And get paid !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE