Winter camping sleeping arrangements

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
We've already got lightweight, self inflating airbeds, but they don't really do it for me, especially in winter.....just not enough insulation between body and ground - even with a mat on top of the bed. And I still wake up aching and stiff. I think a 'proper' camp bed is the way to go......just found a great looking surplus store in Exeter, so its off to have a look soon!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
We've already got lightweight, self inflating airbeds, but they don't really do it for me, especially in winter.....just not enough insulation between body and ground - even with a mat on top of the bed. And I still wake up aching and stiff. I think a 'proper' camp bed is the way to go......just found a great looking surplus store in Exeter, so its off to have a look soon!

Speak to Toddy or Barn Owl, both of whom own Exped down mats and swear by them. Comfortable and warm, they like them so much they are on my must have list.

EDIT: Just to point out, before someone else says something.. :lmao: it's the mat thats on the list, not in fact Toddy or Barn Owl, although they are super great folks...

Last edited:

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
Now that's *definitely* a thought.......thank you.

Have found a great-looking army surplus place in Exeter which I plan to check out for sleeping bags etc very soon. Also my casual 'day shoes' (which are 'nearly' boots) have given up the ghost this week (sole/upper separation - not good) and I plan to replace those with a pair of 'proper' boots and to give up sartorial elegance for ever!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Now that's *definitely* a thought.......thank you.

Have found a great-looking army surplus place in Exeter which I plan to check out for sleeping bags etc very soon. Also my casual 'day shoes' (which are 'nearly' boots) have given up the ghost this week (sole/upper separation - not good) and I plan to replace those with a pair of 'proper' boots and to give up sartorial elegance for ever!

That would be Endicotts? tell him your from BCUK and he'll be extra nice to you ;)

personally i'm ok on the ground in winter, took me a while to get the setup right at first and was cold for two nights out of three one weekend but finally got my act together.
bivi bag or tent depending on what your using, nice thick sleeping mat, bag and fleece liner. for added comfort and insulation you can pop in a fleece or wool blanket between yourself and the mat. should insulate you well.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
If in car, a inflating mat like Exped down mat can be complemented with a reindeer or sheep skin. Combination should be quite warm and comfortable.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
If you do go for a camp bed, go for one in the style of the first argos link you gave. That is a copy of the US army 'cot bed'- and is a big improvement on the older british style ones with the thick wire legs under tension. I've used both (well, the army issue versions), and really there is no contest. You can sit on the side of the us style ones as well without it flipping up unlike the british ones!

The british army now issue the us style beds, and you can even get a mossi net frame to clip onto them. As mentioned above, best combine with a sleeping mat to provide insulation, and you will need something to stop the legs risking puncturing your tent groundsheet. If you can, try to find a genuine army surplus version- they tend to be better quality. I've seen cheap civvy copies with torn fabric.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
My usual thing for protecting a groundsheet from the legs of tables, chairs, beds and so forth is jam jar lids. If you can accumulate a few different sizes they pack inside each other and the lip round the edge stops them slipping out from under the legs. Also being metal you can use them to stand candles, insect coils other hot things on.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
It just came to me in a flash. We were on a really soggy campsite and the chair legs were pushing the groundsheet into the ground. I had a sudden flash of inspiration, a quick rummage in the bin bag for some jar lids and it worked so well at spreading the load and solving the problem that we always keep some in the useful bits box now.
I've learnt so many useful things on this forum. It is nice to be able to pass something on myself for a change.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Yeah the coke can thing is a trick we used at bike rallys to stop side stand of bike sinking, except it would be a beer can! If it can stop a 500lb bike from sinking it can stop chairs!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It just came to me in a flash. We were on a really soggy campsite and the chair legs were pushing the groundsheet into the ground. I had a sudden flash of inspiration, a quick rummage in the bin bag for some jar lids and it worked so well at spreading the load and solving the problem that we always keep some in the useful bits box now.
I've learnt so many useful things on this forum. It is nice to be able to pass something on myself for a change.

Great tip, it amazes me that after all these years we can still get new ideas coming up on this forum.
35.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE