Winter camping sleeping arrangements

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
How that winter is nearly here, we're (as usual) reviewing our camping arrangements (particularly our sleeping arrangements).

Whilst I'm prepared to accept that upgrading to a 3- or 4-season bag goes a long way towards waking up in the morning *not* either freezing or feeling as if you've been systematically beaten with bamboo poles, years of trying different mat- and mattress-based solutions have left me still stiff, cold and generally out-of-sorts in the morning.

I've come to the conclusion that some kind of camp bed solution is the answer - since hammocks aren't really a winter option.

Can anyone suggest a good, lightweight, easily-broken-down and reassembled solution, preferably which will fit inside a 60- or 70-litre sac (not on its own, silly), which will give a little off-ground suspension to an ageing camper who still likes to get out there in the winter months, but whose body is beginning to complain about the constant night-time ground contact?

If i didn't have to get a mortgage to buy it, that would be an additional bonus....

Advice appreciated!

David

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
We have some of these

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3408427/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C15701428%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CCamp+beds%2C+airbeds+and+camping+mats%7C14419400.htm

I've mostly used them for car camping as the pack size and weight aren't that great but you could strap one to the side of a pack if you weren't going far. They are really comfy (we often use them to put guests up on at home). The only thing I would say is that you do need a sleeping mat on them, as, just like a hammock they can be really cold without any form of insulation under you.

Argos also stock this one which is cheaper but I haven't tried this one.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3407129/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C15701428%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CCamp+beds%2C+airbeds+and+camping+mats%7C14419400.htm

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
Thanks Chris - actually the cheaper one would probably be OK....my dad had something like that which was canvas and ex-army, and it was great.

I agree neither is really a lightweight option but we *do* have a car and we almost always use it for camping, so not really an issue.

Will definitely check out - thanks!

dave

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
in my honest opinion i think the first one as i have tried both and the cheaper one is to low for us people with old bones but young hearts lol regards dave

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I have! ... it's heavy... and you need arms like Arnie to get the legs in place

Thanks Chris - actually the cheaper one would probably be OK....my dad had something like that which was canvas and ex-army, and it was great.
It was the old army type I had in mind when I bought it... the army one is much better!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hammocks are definitely doable in winter if you've got the right gear, been down to -9 with my old setup no problem, my newer stuff will go much lower than that.

If you're fancying a tent though have you tried the Exped down mats yet ? Lovely and toasty

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The £9.99 argos job works great. You could put a standard foam mat on top but I've not needed to even last winter when it was ten below. Very comfy and well worth the money IMHO.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
And how would you do that, in the open, in February? ;)

My old bones are complaining already.....:)

Dave

My bones are getting pretty old these days too. I've used my existing single underblanket set up in February in Scotland, no problem. Reached about -4ºc. If I recall.

That was a test under chilly but very windy conditions in an exposed position. I suspect the wind chill factor would have taken it just sub zero in effect, but I mainly wanted to test the logistics of the set up before trying it under more extreme conditions.

The results were promising and I was warm and cosy rising to a bit too hot on the second night.

I'm now fairly confident that with proper tarp placement I could take that arrangement comfortably to -10ºc. or so, maybe colder.

It's not lightweight of course but it's still less than hot tenting with a stove and not much different in weight to using a camp bed arrangement.

All I'm saying is don't write off the hammock. It can go sub zero if it's properly insulated and that is certainly possible.

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
Really we need two - one for me and one for Mrs P......my dad's old once certainly was a challenge to arm strength to get the legs in - but once they were in the tension they provided made it very comfortable. And yes - it was heavy...but then we have a car so that's not so much an issue really.

Might try an army surplus store as well and see if the old khaki canvas ones are still around in any form. We'll probably upgrade to better bags as well - either 4-season or 3-season with liners.

D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Last weekend at the Comrie Croft meet, I hammocked first night. Temps I am told were around -3 or -4. There certainly was plenty of frozen rain on the tarp in the morning. I used my own home made hammock, a Gelert doss bag and an Unsponsered under quilt. It was my first time using the UQ in anger and was interested in how it would perform. The weakest link was the doss bag, it claims to be comfort rated to -5, however in the real world I find that it goes to +5 at a push. So I woke up a couple of times feeling cool mainly top side, but my feet got a little chillie. Once I decided to get up and water the plants at oh god hundred hours, I noticed the problem. One of the tabs holding the QU broke off. I found I had to have the cords holding the QU fairly tight, as if I didn't there was too much sag and therefore not warming me up enough. If I was to make a mod to this it would be to put cords running length ways along the UQ so it pulled up higher and was more snug. Anyhoo, once this was amended in the dark back to sleep.

If I had a decent bag, I doubt I would have had any issues. So in closing, hammock + good bag + under quilt can mean a good comfortable nights sleep in sub zero conditions. I know I'll be doing it again.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The £9.99 argos job works great. You could put a standard foam mat on top but I've not needed to even last winter when it was ten below. Very comfy and well worth the money IMHO.

I've used the three-leg equivalent, and while it is comfy I find it takes up a lot of room in a two-man tent. I don't think two of them would be feasible, at least not in my two-man tents, as (a) you'd be crawling over them all the time and (b) they'd press on the tent and probably collect moisture. If they'd be sitting on a groundsheet you'd have to devise a means of protecting it from the legs but that's doable, I've usually used thick layers of fabric or paper.

Having said all that, how old are the OP's bones? Mine are nearly 60 and I find a sleep mat and a thick folded blanket is at least as comfy as my memory foam mattress, sometimes more so.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You do yours free running, so you could pull the QU up or down etc?

Yep, just put a little slit in the ends of the outer channels and fed one 5m length of 4mm shockcord through. It goes all the way down one side, out the end with a big loop and then back in the other side, I finished up with about a 3ft loop at one end and then tied an overhand knot at the other end with the loose tails. After a few trips I put a daisy chain of loops in the knot end so I could tweak it for different setups.

I found the bigger diameter SC let the quilt slide back and forth a lot easier than with the smaller stuff.

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
Interesting and persuasive account, I had no idea it was even viable in winter conditions. Would love to see a photo of the kit up in position if you were ever able to get one (difficult when you're *in* the hammock, I know!).

Thanks for sharing

D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Winter_Hammock-4.jpg

Winter_Hammock-1.jpg

I'm not actually in it of course but you'll just have to imagine it a bit fatter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE