Who would you like to meet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Yup. would love to spend a weekend with ray and lars. or a traditional sami tribe aswell!

Also, Jedediah, (i owe him a pint ;) )
British Red
Dougster
John Fenna

And all the others who have helped me in the past!

Thanks to you all!

Dan

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Fun thread I like it

Chris is fascinating - and a fellow fan of Christmas Puddings (long story)

And he once got completely lost on Kinder Scout which makes me feel much better.:D

So many to think of but you never know whether the reality will match the image, sounds like Mors is a lovely chap and has time to chat with everyone, not all movers and shakers do but I think my list would include.

Jesus Christ well why not I even hear he was a bit of a woodworker.
and I'll also include Buddha, Mohamed and Confucius
Gandhi
E.F.Schumacher (small is beautiful)
Thoreau (Walden)
John Muir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir)
I'll go for Sally Seymour...I hear she did most of the work and was better looking.
Soetsu Yanagi (the unknown craftsman)
William Morris
John Ruskin actually I suspect I wouldn't have got on with him but it would be good to meet him first hand.
Abraham Lincoln
There is a guy who made a particular group of wooden bowls on the Mary Ruse, I know his work, I would love to stand in his workshop.
Oetzi the iceman that guy lived bushcraft whilst the very best teachers today only play.

funny thing is I feel I know a lot of these folk through their writing, the books are old friends but it would be great to meet them in person.

Oh and yes BR too...look forward to meeting up and making shavings together.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've quite a list WLTM's so here are a few...

Ray Mears -met him briefly on a woodlore course but would like more time to chat and even better -travel with

Chris Townsend -Author and backpacking guru. I'd love to chat about places and go for an effing long walk with.

Alan Hinkes -Mountaineer and top Yorkshire bloke.

Count Henry Russell -Pyrennean pioneer (say that 10 time fast when drunk!), Bon vivant and nutter.

Jordan -I once had a dream about her and there's unfinished business...

Thats enough for now.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
2nd Lt hiroo Onoda

One of the last Japanese soldiers to surrender. He spent 29 years on Lubang Island with very little, stealing the odd pig and such like, but still quite a feat of survival.

This in no way means that I condone the ill usage of civilians or P.O.W's, it does mean I respect his tenacity in adversity.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Hiroo Onoda sounds like he might be a tad awkward to get along with!

Maybe if she existed in some original form, Id like to meet Baba Yaga

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was a bit aggrieved when I read Hiroo Onodas' account of his times on Lubang Island. The book got to the end and just...ended! Just like that, no explanation of what happened thereafter, just ended!

To have lived that long in the bush is fantastic. I know he wasn't by himself the whole time, but the last year or so he was. I wonder how he felt once he was taken back to Japan and thought about his life.... all those years gone!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
list of people who and what i would like to learn from them

Isarmbard Kingdom Brunel for his engineering drawing and understanding genius

Lord Horatio Nelson so he could teach me how to sail an 1918 ship of the line and all things navigation because he was a navel genius

winston churchil to chat with him about his war time experiance would be interesting

the beatles as a whole to have a chat with them about music would be ausome

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
My great great grandad I've just found out he was a gamekeeper and moldywarp(spell?) also the whipperin for the Tywardreath Hunt. Previous occupation poacher. I am impressed with him as a forebear.

Anybody know what a moldywarp(spell?) is.:dunno:

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He hunted moles and probably got paid for the skins too.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s the old word for the mole is the Mowdie.
Like this
” Geordie wis sayed tae bei guid it catchin moles; A foryet whae it wur, bot hei wis ance askit bi ae fermer tae hae ae go it trappin his mowdies. Appearinlie the fermer’s openin wurds tae Geordie wur, “A’m telt thit ee ir ae expert it settin mowdie traps.” Geordie askit the fermer tae tryst wi him it Meadshaw the neist morning (whilk hei greed tae dae) an thit hei cuid gan roond wi Geordie is hei checkit his mowdie traps. Howsumever, the storie gans thit Geordie, that nicht, put ae deed mole intil yin o his traps an kum the neist morning; whan him an the fermer checkit at trap, thar in eet wis Geordie’s deed mowdie. Whan Geordie himsel wis telling the tale aboot this mowdie, hei sayed thit hei hed been descrived is ane expert (ae big wurd) sae it hed been necessar fur him tae pruve til the fermer thit hei wis, ithoot doot, ane expert."

which comes from this text
http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/corpus/search/document.php?documentid=1374

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
My great grandad.

A private in the Hampshires, a warrior.

Fought in the 1st world war and died from his injuries. He was a hero and i'd like to have had the chance to speak with him. Get a lump in my throat when i think about what he
must have gone through in the Dardanelles campaign.

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE