whittling away a year (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
thanks for all your nice comments about me crafts. I'm totally addicted, I've just finished another spoon to night . i copied one of robins ones off his site.

yes i do work in the woods robin, on a large estate (3000 acres of woodland) so i get the chance to get all sorts of wood.but as you know finding burry bits big enough to make a good kuksa is like looking for hens teeth.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Lovely work there mate, agree about the addictive nature of hand crafting wood from the natural state. I can't pass any felled timber without looking for "potential".Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing your future pieces.
John

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
heres the spoon i tried to copy from robins site. its not quite right as the sides of the bowl need to be rounder.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That spoon looks a really useful shape, diffenatly more useful than and better thought out than a more normal round spoon shape. As a cook utensil it is good.

The book looks very useful too.

The rest of your stuff is awesome. I like the arrow heads.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
heres the spoon i tried to copy from robins site. its not quite right as the sides of the bowl need to be rounder.

Glad our stuff provides some inspiration, that's as much as anything why we put it up and we have learned a lot by copying the best spoons we have come across over the years. Always nice to see folk taking it on further too.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's a really good spoon - well done. As the design is actually mine - Robin roughs them out, I do the shaping and finishing - I'll take the liberty of offering some suggestions to improve the next one you make. I think the straight sides of the bowl look fine, but I think the side profile would be improved by moving the broadest point to where the bowl joins the handle - this is also where you need the most strength. Like this:
spoonside.jpg

You might find you want to leave the handle a bit wider a bit lower down as well so it doesn't get weak here:
spoontop.jpg

Thanks for posting your pictures. I hope you don't mind my suggestions. I'm really pleased you're inspired by our work and look forwards to seeing more of yours.
Nicola

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
thanks for the tips Nicola. some times i know somethings not quite right but cant see it for looking. your spoons and ladles are cool and have given me some new ideas, i will put up some pics later if they work out.:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE