Which hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
AS THE TITLE SUGGESTS WHICH HAMMOCK WOULD YOU GO FOR?AND WHY?
** NEW ** 2010 DD Travel Hammock / Bivi OR DD FRONTLINE ?
I HAVE SPOKE TO DD AS I AM OVER THERE RECOMMENDED WEIGHT AND HAVE SORTED OUT THAT LITTLE PROBLEM, NOW WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE?

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I would say out of the 2 the Frontline. I hvae one of each due to the fact the stitching on the travel hammock failed on the mozzy net. This was not a major issue and I must hasten to add Nick sorted it out really quick and sent me out a new Frontline.

My only reason I say this is that When I used the DD Travel the first time in September last year I experienced condensation due to the waterproof ground sheet me thinks. I have since used the frontline which is excellent. If you want to ground dwell with it and use it as a nest type scenario then it would have to be the travel.

I have seen Shewies Blackbird and that looks like a nice piece of kit too. Also i know many speak highly of the nomads xls.

Sorry to confuse the issue maybe.

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm in exactly the same boat and I'm thinking the Frontline would be better for exactly the reason that Scrogger stated re:condensation. My thinking is that you're buying a hammock for hanging, and not ground dwelling (although I can see the merits of something that does both!:cool:) therefore I'm inclined to go for the aforementioned, or maybe a Hennessy (funds permitting). With a bit of nifty work, you can soon rig up a tarp and sleep on a bed of bracken if you're really pushed for trees!:)

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Thanks for the imput. the blackbird looks good but is a little over my price limit for now(will see if i take to hanging first).so am thinking the dd frontline is what i am going for.i need to change the rigging on it so it will take my weight (26stone0as advised by dd.So the next question is any recomendations as the the rigging??

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks for the imput. the blackbird looks good but is a little over my price limit for now(will see if i take to hanging first).so am thinking the dd frontline is what i am going for.i need to change the rigging on it so it will take my weight (26stone0as advised by dd.So the next question is any recomendations as the the rigging??

Andy,

swap the original tapes for some climbing tape or go to b&q and get the 25mm or bigger tape off the roll.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Tie off the existing cordage into a short loop and pass a karabiner through it. Get some 18mm tubular webbing from here and look at Bushblades tutorial for a nice easy setup.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The best recommendation ever for a dd frontline ever, comes from the owner of warbonnet hammocks.

He uses one, and rates it highly. (still not as good as a blackbird though)

One of these days Shewie, we will actually convince someone to buy a Blackbird. :lmao:

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
My other hammock is a ticket to the moon double. They make most other manufacturers parachute hammocks.

Very quick delivery, so far no issues with VAT and customs.

This is my set up last summer in France. The tarp is an OES Mac Cat deluxe and the hammock is inside of an ENO bug net. Even at 10 deg C at night it was then that I decided I needed an underquilt if sleeping out!

web.jpg

web.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE