When they spit on You

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
This is not truly a Bushcraft kind of thing, but I just felt compelled to share it here.

I just had an interesting experience in my local bus station. A trio of youths (17-20), were smoking inside the station, and when the elderly janitor asked them to take it outside (there are lots of signs up), they subjected him to a tirade of abuse. He backed away, and I felt so bad for him that I stepped up and talked to them, and told them to give him a break, he was an elderly man, and come on guys etc etc- the usual reasonable guff.

Two of the trio kind of nodded and stepped outside, but the third became confrontational. It got to the point where he bunched his fists and told me to throw one his way. There is CCtv in the bus station, so I wasn't about to be that stupid. I talked to him for a few moments more. ( I say talked - it was more a flow of insults in my direction), and then thought to hell with it - and I walked away.

The trio them reassembled and came after me. They walked past me so close as to brush my clothing, and as they did the leader spat on me. They then stood in the station and shouted insults - the usual crap about mothers, dietary habits and size of genitalia. At no point was I physically struck, but they obviously wanted to provoke me into a fight. After this had been going on for three or four minutes the bus inspector came out of the office - it seems he had seen all this - and he laid on an empty bus to take me home for free. (This is a very rural area). I pointed out the ringleader to him and he nodded. 'We know him,' he said. Then I got on the bus and went home.

It is so fecking depressing. I do know that if I'd had my Shing on me at the moment the leader spat on me, I think I could have done something stupid. It would have been a sad use for a thing of beauty.

I am no shrinking violet. In my youth, I got into a lot of fights. In the army I saw a lot of bad stuff. But none of that has depressed me quite as much as the sheer bloody stupidity and malice I have seen on the streets of normal cities of this country in the last five years. I grew up in Northern Ireland in the worst of the troubles, and I have seen more sheer nihilistic evil on the streets post cease-fire than I ever saw before it.

Mods, cut what you like. I'm not sure how to categorise this, but I feel among like-minded people on this forum, and just wanted to vent I guess.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've had similar things happen to me, and witnessed no end of the same. It's no wonder that the majority of people will walk away when something kicks off, rather than stepping in to help. Some people just want trouble and will stop at nothing to provoke it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I saw a lot of this type behavior in the prison obviously, and worse. The inmates ook pleasure in masturbating in front of the officers (particularly the female officers) It was discouraging there but it's truly sad to see such behavior on the street. Especially as in prison it earned the guilty party a few weeks in confienement but on the street there are rarely any consequenses. But cheer up and bear in mind that those individuals will likely get their turn to stay in Her Majesty's B&B at some point.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont let it get you down. Its hard not to I know but there are always going to be these poor excuses for human beings about.
Its more than likely the lad knows no different and has been passed down that lack of respect for others by his parents.

In a public place like that the police should be called and made to follow it up. If they have video footage he should be fined for smoking in a public place. Its easy to shrug it off and say well the police wont do a thing, but they are more than often happy to help and give the lad a talking too.

A good slapping in front of his mates would have been a great idea but sadly this would only land you in a lot more trouble. Unless he swings first that is.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I law spitting constitutes physical assualt.

The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

they were guilty of an offence even before the spitting, and it's an offence that the OP has more than sufficient evidence to present to the police should they so wish.

it's horrible when things like this happen, my sympathies are with you corfe

cheers

stuart

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
The thing is, when I was talking to them, the other two lost that sneering a-hole look in their eyes and didn't seem too bad. It was the ringleader who was intent on pursuing things. He was unreachable. Twenty years ago - even ten years ago - I would have quite simply kicked his head in. But I am no longer capable of doing that to a six foot burly a-hole - he knew that - that's why he pushed his luck I think.

I won't pursue things. I have tried to do so in the past, and in respect of petty little crap like this, the Police are either too busy or don't want to know. This is not necessarily a criticism of the police btw - my brother is a cop, and so are half a dozen of my relations. I know pretty well what constraints they operate under.

But also - thank you guys. When we head out into the woods and encounter circle after circle of beer-cans and burn circles, it's good to know that there are a few idealistic idiots out there still willing to pick up someone else's trash.
That's not irony, by the way. :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Mate seriously dont feel bad,

whats the alternative? i,ve had experience of both outcomes, and i can tell you have too so you'll relate to this,.

the first you feel empty and let down by the human race, and that your reaction was one of weakness, (where in fact it was one of strength)

you think "if only i would have smashed him" for days after,...

the alternative reaction where you fight leaves you feeling no better,

you still feel disapointed and let down , only this time in yourself!, AND the risk of repecussion is then an issue,

you did the right thing i reckon,

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
A similar thing happened to me in a McDonald's, while with the family.
I handled it poorly, with 18 stones of me on top of ring leader, connected by a knee and a forearm.
I should have known better than to flair up, however, it seems this is all they understand.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
When I was younger I would pitch in regardless. I was a dickhead. (As most youngsters are I guess). It's hard to turn a blind eye just because you feel physically you can't make the cut anymore. (Still recovering from a major illness this year). But when you see teenagers (Big teenagers!) f...ing and blinding at an old man for just doing his job - what do you do?

Raikey - thanks mate - been there before - but back then it was just a question of having been overpowered. This time around, I just didn't want to get my **** kicked again - and the muppet in question was obviously trying to get me to throw the first punch.

They know the law, these people. They know how to use it. And it's not in favour of the decent citizen trying to respond to abuse, even when it gets (technicaly) physical. I'm buggered if I know what to do.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The thing is, when I was talking to them, the other two lost that sneering a-hole look in their eyes and didn't seem too bad. It was the ringleader who was intent on pursuing things. He was unreachable. Twenty years ago - even ten years ago - I would have quite simply kicked his head in. But I am no longer capable of doing that to a six foot burly a-hole - he knew that - that's why he pushed his luck I think.

I won't pursue things. I have tried to do so in the past, and in respect of petty little crap like this, the Police are either too busy or don't want to know. This is not necessarily a criticism of the police btw - my brother is a cop, and so are half a dozen of my relations. I know pretty well what constraints they operate under.

But also - thank you guys. When we head out into the woods and encounter circle after circle of beer-cans and burn circles, it's good to know that there are a few idealistic idiots out there still willing to pick up someone else's trash.

You did fine. You saw something unpleasant and tried to help in a non-confrontational way. One particular a$$hole couldn't be reached, that's not something you can control. You CAN control your own actions and you did that very well.

Quite a few of us are older and don't react like we once did. I generally go armed now but that fact in and of itself demands that I show much, much more restraint than I otherwise would.

Most importantly realize that what you said about the police is exactly accurate. They have constraints that they have to abide by as well. Be assured though that if the bus station management "knows him well" then he's on the local police radar as well. In time he will either mend his ways or he will take the rope he's given and hang himself.

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I fully sympathise with you on this one I see and experience it week in week out and I don't live in what is considered a rough area. It's very hard to deal with and I am sorry to say I just walk away now. You were in a no win situation and the lads knew it. I think you showed amazing self control. The little f@"#*€s don't deserve you attention or energy.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
I saw a lot of this type behavior in the prison obviously, and worse. The inmates ook pleasure in masturbating in front of the officers (particularly the female officers) It was discouraging there but it's truly sad to see such behavior on the street. Especially as in prison it earned the guilty party a few weeks in confienement but on the street there are rarely any consequenses. But cheer up and bear in mind that those individuals will likely get their turn to stay in Her Majesty's B&B at some point.

see - the experience could have taken a bizarre twist. count yourself lucky

plus - and most importantly - nobody died or went to prison, which can happen so easily when things get out of hand.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire

Be a waste of perfectly good penny stoves if we didn't and you can't let a good penny stove go to waste :eek:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I feel for you mate I really do I am 6ft 5.5in and I am a magnet for them when waiting for a bus to get to work (my bus stop is right next to a KFC sigh), the best thing you can do is ignore them and if they do attack defend yourself and don't pursue them as you can get in trouble for that even if they started it.

I just last Sunday turned 27 and I have to say since I was 15/16 the yobs have got a lot worse, half of them look like Neanderthals in a bin bag the other half look like something less evolved than a fury dog turd smell like a rastas house and make as much sense when they talk as a backed up toilet.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
When I was young I was young but in these days I would would definitely be more inclined to be the "elderly Janitor" It's not that I am scared of them. I don't avoid the hoodies hanging out at the shops, I don't walk out of there way, I'll make a joke with them and most times they will simply step out of the way and let me by, they are a lot more respectful than they look. They might exchange a bit of "banter" with me and that's as far as it goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE