What's your favourite multi tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
A Swiss Army Knife and a proper set of plyers (you can get the Mini screwdriver to fit into the cork screw)

cant stand Multi Tools not really good at anything

ATB

Duncan

PS you could fir the mini screwdriver to a Multi Tool but i dont think they can open a bottle of wine :eek::pokenest:

100% agree with you there, Swiss and pliers are a great combo. Ive got a juice and a charge and dont like either. Have to say i also have a skeletool and like that a lot.

Atb, Jon

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
i can't help but think that it wouldn't be broken if the springs where made of something sensable rather than stainless steel. same goes for the blades, over hardened stainless blades are pretty crap at best:eek:

Get in touch, like maglite as far as I know they offer a life time guarantee.

A Leatherman Charge XTI, rocks. The bit holders (It has three) is the best thing going.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the Original leatherman supertool, The wave, Juice Xe6 and skeletool The wave is the one I use most for work but the juice is my EDC

17604.44073_e.jpg

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
It's a wave for me both old and new has been my EDC for ever and gets used many times a day. But if I'm out in the woods then it's my knife and lapander with the wave in the bottom of my bag.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
I quite like the Gerber Diesel, it's a decent size and weight for everyday belt carry. Actually went and bought a second as a spare when I saw Amazon had 20quid off it.

I find myself using it a lot more than my SAK, I tend to not be using it for what you might like to call Industrial Work, just light everyday and Bush crafting. Can opener is nice and sharp for both opening cans' and modifying can's for hobo stoves etc.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
My favorite multitool is - Paul Chen's Multi Tasker from Hennies.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=102&P_ID=2155

It was £9.95 on clearance deal and delivered FREE. I didn't expect much as it had poor reviews on some internet forums. But I liked how it looked on the photos, and it had some brilliant reviews on Hennie's site as well - so I decided to give a go.

The shears work as sissors - it is very smooth, but most of all it is the sharpest and most powerful sissors I ever have used. All other bits work as they should and no complaints. Its a bit heavy side but I like my tools heavy - so no probs here.

Knife blade locks solidly by the liner lock - no danger of the blade snapping into your fingers while desperately trying to open a parcel or packets. I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for a multi tool, as they are compromise of compromise. But it is my best tenner I have spent on tools.

And my lesson was "Don't trust all the internet reviews!" One man's ceiling is the other man's floor.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I agree about the Paul Chen,got it from a mate primarily for the scissors,brilliant piece of kit.

Mostly use my l/man wave,must be about 10 years now I think,primarily for the pliers.

Have an original L/man supertool too somewhere,thought it was in the car,now i'm not sure,hmmn:dunno:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What can I say? Like many of you I'm a toolaholic. I have six Leatherman tools of various kinds (original Super Tool, Crunch, Wave, Juice CS4, two Micras); three Victorinox (Swiss Tool and two small ones, slightly different, don't know the names); a SOG Toolclip; a Gerber Nautilus; and several of the lesser-known brands of multi-tools - which can't hold a candle to the well-known ones but there's one of them in my survival kit. The Micras are in my first aid kits. The CS4 is on the bedside cabinet with one of the small Victorinox, the other is in my pocket wrapped in a handkerchief. The Wave is in the wife's rucksack, the other Leatherman tools are in the Jeep. The Nautilus is on the coffee table as a kind of conversation piece, it's probably the least useful of all of them but the blade is nothing short of beautiful, and it's razor sharp. The torch on it is fun, but a bit useless like the scissors.

Difficult to say which is my favourite tool, probably the Swiss Tool, but my favourite blade is the plain one on the SOG Toolclip. It's wide, very solid and I certainly use it the most of any blade I have although I have to touch it up often as the steel isn't very wear resistant. The Toolclip has some harsh corners, and after it did a bit too much damage to paintwork and furniture when it was clipped in my pocket all the time I switched my EDC to the Swiss Tool. Although as someone else rightly said it's a little heavier than many, it does a great deal of work for me. Not a day goes by that I don't use it half a dozen times. It's both more comfortable and more convenient to use than many of the other tools, especially the original Leatherman which is harsh on the palms when using the pliers. The only times the Swiss Tool isn't on my belt are when I'm flying somewhere or suing somebody (they have metal detectors in Court these days, but at least they give you a cloakroom ticket when you hand them your knife). The velcro fastener on the leather pouch for the Swiss Tool could be improved - after a decade of hard wear it's pretty iffy, a stud would be better - but having said that it's never actually let me down. I've been thinking of getting another pouch for it. My favourite pouch is the one for the Wave, a close second being that for the Nautilus but it's actually a bit too tight for the tool. Perhaps I should use it more. :) PS the SOG Toolclip bites. I mean REALLY bites. The worst is the large screwdriver which folds easily while you're using it and can trap a bit of skin in the process. The pliers bite too, nearly as viciously. They're the most uncomfortable I've ever used anyway, I think I should wear leather gloves when I use them.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE