What would you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
About year ago some friends of mine went off driving round the world, and it got me thinking, what vehicle would I use for such a jaunt. Their vehicle of choice is a VW Camper Van Syncro. I'd not heard of them before I'd met these guys, and by the sounds of it its not proving to reliable, seeing as they are already on their second engine.

I used to be a Land Rover man, and I know they're a popular choice, but I'd always be worried about reliability. My attitude was always if you want to be good of road, get a Land Rover, but if you want to drive around the road with as few breakdowns as possible, get a Toyota.

I however have a soft spot for vlovo C303s.

So, what would you use to drive around the world?

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Citroen 2CV

The most basic car in the world. No fancy electrics, air bags, computer management systems or even headrests on the seats. But what it does have is a reliable air cooled engine, high mpg (more than 50mpg IIRC) and most problems can be repaired with a hammer, 11mm ring spanner and duct tape :)

I've worked on Mercedes, Ford and many more types of car. The 2CVs were by far the easiest to maintain and reliable, once you got used to the shakey cornering and weird gear layout.

IIRC (but I can't find a link just yet) in the 80s a university had a program to develop a "car for africa". They designed and built a prototype that could handle rough roads and could be maintained in just about any environment. They took it to africa for tests and put it through its paces. At one point they took it across the wilds and up a mountain along dirt tracks, fording rivers and generally looking for the crapiest terrain they could find.

At the top of the mountin they found a couple of tourists in a 2CV!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect it would be difficult (if not impossible) to find a single auto that would be street legal all around the world.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'd sooner do it on a motorbike than in a car, but if i did it in a car it'd have to be something fun to drive and lightweight.

After several years of touring around Europe i know my MX5 has taken everything in it's stride, but i do fancy something a bit more extreme for a world trip.
So this i'd be my choice.

Caterham7Superlightr400.jpg

Attachments

• caterham-7-150063a.jpg
    caterham-7-150063a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 12

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

This is my first reply to bushcraft uk in suuuuuume time. Vyvsdad i can agree more Im only affraid of one debate and that would be between me and Jeramy Clarkson as to who was the bigger landrover fan. I love them.

I live in australia and the most popular 4x4 with the middle classes is the LR discovery but im not sure how many of these see the outback or bush. I as a good working class man own a toyota hilux which the masses own and i would bet my last dollar that nearly everyone you see on the road.....err... 75% have and use them off road. For me its a question of nastalga over hassle free driving. Dont get me started on nastalga and gear/transport thats a whole other thing im working on.

About year ago some friends of mine went off driving round the world, and it got me thinking, what vehicle would I use for such a jaunt. Their vehicle of choice is a VW Camper Van Syncro. I'd not heard of them before I'd met these guys, and by the sounds of it its not proving to reliable, seeing as they are already on their second engine.

I used to be a Land Rover man, and I know they're a popular choice, but I'd always be worried about reliability. My attitude was always if you want to be good of road, get a Land Rover, but if you want to drive around the road with as few breakdowns as possible, get a Toyota.

I however have a soft spot for vlovo C303s.

So, what would you use to drive around the world?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Whatever it would be I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want anything with a common rail diesel engine. To much electronics to go wrong.
In fact, ideally I'd have a mechanical injection system on a fairly basic diesel engine.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
Ah, the 2CV. Forgot about them. I'd own one tomorrow, I love them.
As for the caterham 7, great car but possibly not the best for an overland expedition.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would use my Jeep, can get parts shipped world wide, it'll run on pretty much any grade petrol, simple to work on(though I'm still working on bits. It have a trail trailor to. In the8 years we've had it its only done 45000 miles, but its never put a foot wrong untill the most recent MOT which it failed for wheel bearing front brake pads, and anti roll bar drop links, all thing I should have picked up but rushed it through in haste, total cost of new parts £200 ordered from US. I would use it as its what I know(and the seats are frickin comfy!)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I lived in the highlands of East Africa as a boy. Everyone drove a VW beetle. The main advantage was that there were spare parts aplenty because there were so many around. A lightweight body is important when you are racing around on unpaved roads.
I think the 2CV would be a good choice in terms of performance, but I am not sure that you could get spares in the back of beyond.

Z

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'd sooner do it on a motorbike than in a car, but if i did it in a car it'd have to be something fun to drive and lightweight.

After several years of touring around Europe i know my MX5 has taken everything in it's stride, but i do fancy something a bit more extreme for a world trip.
So this i'd be my choice.

Caterham7Superlightr400.jpg

I am not a number....I am a free man.......

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

i once had a ride in one of those, just as a passenger, around an off road track. crazy vehicles, you strap yourself into a land rover and pull away in a supercar, it's an odd experience

i think they're made somewhere near me, bakewell maybe?

edit; i got curious and had to check, they are made near me but in the other direction, they're made in a place called hazelwood, near derby.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As for the caterham 7, great car but possibly not the best for an overland expedition.

Thing is, no matter what car you go in the only thing that's 100% sure is, your going to get stuck, be it sand, mud or snow, rwd, fwd or 4x4, your going to get stuck,
I'd sooner push out a 500kg car than a 2000kg 4x4.

Then there is fuel, i was seeing just under 40mpg average.
Take it easy with the throttle and i bet you could see 50mpg.

To be honest though i think i'd fit a modern diesel engine for this trip, simply because half decent quality fuel would be difficult to guarantee.
I think it'd be a tight fit even if it did fit, but my first choice would be the BMW 330D.

Lastly my logic was the entire purpose of this journey would be FUN.
To be honest I'd sooner stay at home than have to drive a 2CV for 10 hours a day, they are terrible cars to drive, even nipping down the shops i'd sooner walk.

With the 7 my thinking is that each morning i'd actually want to drive the car, rather than have to drive it.

Part of that is down to being a open top car you automatically feel closer to your environment, the other is that it's just a fantastic car to drive.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I think the 2CV would be a good choice in terms of performance, but I am not sure that you could get spares in the back of beyond...

Or anywhere in North America for that matter. I'd never even heard of Citroen until I was stationed over there. For that matter, diesel fuel can be diffcult to find off the interstate highway system. Pretty much only heavy trucks use it here.

Exactly what are the perameters here anyway? Is this hypothetical trip going to be off road? Or is it going to use the highway systems in each country?

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
Still would stick with a landy 110. you can fix most problems with a spanner and a hammer, and in most places spare that can be made to fit can be found. The more modes an vehicle to more electronic systems are used to help the engine, the more unlikely you would be able to road side repair it.
Before mine actually and finally blew up it had taken a unmeasurable amount of abuse and still kept on ticking, no looker but it worked.

Failing that then a 'Boller'

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
There's a 1992 Toyota Corrolla in Brisbane that was driven from Ireland and a few VW Jettas have been spotted outside of Europe also on Irish plates. Just goes to show you don't need 4x4 or anything out of the ordinary to cover the distances involved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE