What wildlife did you spot today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
cool, did you say you were a guide? bush craft? tourists? wildlife ???? x
occasional guide for tourists (national park and nearby private property which includes bowdrill demo ), still stuck in paperwork to obtain my license...

no special wildlife today, just the normal hummingbirds, herons/ egrets etc. along river and poison dart frogs outside my door (i don't know how to "milk" them. yet...)

Not specific to the cucumber spider, but apparently spider silk was used to create cross-hairs on telescopes.
and early sniper rifle scopes iirc -- judging from our local spiders easy to believe (they like to put their nets at head hight across the trails in the jungle...), one spider in New Guinea produces nets strong enough to catch small fish...

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
occasional guide for tourists (national park and nearby private property which includes bowdrill demo ), still stuck in paperwork to obtain my license...

no special wildlife today, just the normal hummingbirds, herons/ egrets etc. along river and poison dart frogs outside my door (i don't know how to "milk" them. yet...)
intersting. i made a blowpipe once lol and looked into poisons. I think the most lethal ones were from borneo. x

Reactions: William_Montgomery

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Was out on Saturday and saw a pair of house martins flying over Pitsford Water. Saw the other usual stuff, great crested grebes, swans, geese, various ducks etc.

Also, in the days since posting about the water deer behind my house I have seen a muntjac and last evening saw a pair of roe bucks in velvet.

Don't molest frogs! It seems the only frogs that are doing well are cane toads!

some european
intersting. i made a blowpipe once lol and looked into poisons. I think the most lethal ones were from borneo. x
some european plants are suitable for making arrow poison, too

Antiaris Toxicaria is the tree used in Borneo to poison blowpipe darts -- not sure how strong it is, but the Golden Poison Frog (Phyllobates Terribliis)from Colombia is strong enough to kill 30 people and iirc you can't even touch it bare-handed...

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
some european

some european plants are suitable for making arrow poison, too

Antiaris Toxicaria is the tree used in Borneo to poison blowpipe darts -- not sure how strong it is, but the Golden Poison Frog (Phyllobates Terribliis)from Colombia is strong enough to kill 30 people and iirc you can't even touch it bare-handed...
brilliant. i'm on ebay now :) x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
:slap::rolleyes:
If someone knows you and knows you are just joking, that is funny as hell. If they don't, its not funny at all.

Lets not take a thread about wildlife spotting off topic with a further detour into blow pipes and related poisons. :rolleyes:
. I am interested in everything so going off topic is easily done,
just to add though when I posted this I specifically asked have you got any interesting facts and someone saw a poison arrow frog and shared about poisons so its not that far removed and we can have a giggle. x

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here, hare, here. ;)

Was a couple of days ago but only just got round to uploading. Not as clear as it is if I watch it from my album, but hereharehere.

Blow pipes are also banned
not in Costa Rica although the indigenous people have moved on to firearms... sorry for some infos not exactly related to the thread, but it was meant for entertainment only -- playing with arrow poisons can easily go wrong!

to get back to the subject of the thread: last two days i saw a big female iguana, a male basilisk (a.k.a jesus christ lizard because they can run on water) various butterflies and a ton of ant lions in my kitchen (dirt floor)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Orange tip butterfly by the pond, havn't seen any the last couple of years, so was chuffed to bits to see it. So excited its back:red:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Blow pipes are also

Those pigeons again

wood pigeon chicks are called squabs. I never knew that. good fact. and I saw that very egg in the fact sheet on the woodland floor today, I wondered what it was and now I know. x

Reactions: CrispyDuck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE