What stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
One for you, Rik - why does the KAP Arctic tend to have a quiet burner on? I find them less efficient and more susceptible to wind than the roarers on Optimus stoves, and don't mind the additional noise! Or is it just that - the noise factor?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
One for you, Rik - why does the KAP Arctic tend to have a quiet burner on? I find them less efficient and more susceptible to wind than the roarers on Optimus stoves, and don't mind the additional noise! Or is it just that - the noise factor?

Here have a fossick on this web site

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/luontola/retkeily/index_eng.htm

The KAP is a silent burner stove which fits into a Trangia windshield....

The noise factor is the prime reason for using a silent burner...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Here have a fossick on this web site

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/luontola/retkeily/index_eng.htm

The KAP is a silent burner stove which fits into a Trangia windshield....

The noise factor is the prime reason for using a silent burner...

Interesting article - thanks. Yes, I know about the KAP, and have seen a few, but always wondered about the silent burner. THe article makes it clear that it is indeed the noise that drives the decision over a roarer burner. Shame - I always like the sound of a roarer - sort of companiable!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Wind isn't a problem in the KAP Arctic, but there's no reason why a similar set-up should not be put together using a roarer burner. I had some connectors made a few years ago whereby 111 bnrs and 8R bnrs could be attached to an Opti Nova pump...

Nova_conns_1.jpg

Novahose_to_8Rbnr.jpg

Novahose_to_111bnr.jpg

Some time later a chap in Finland developed a kit whereby a 111T bnr could be adapted to fit in a Trangia (25) windshield. This is what Richard was referring to in his earlier thread. Here's the link...

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/luontola/ultimate/index_eng.htm

I don't know if he's still making them. I have one...

teuvo.jpg

But I thought that a 111 bnr was a bit overkill for a T27, which is why I had the Nova pump/8R adaptor made so as to fit the smaller 8R petrol bnr in the T27 windshield...

T27_8R.jpg

X6_trangia8R.jpg

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Wind isn't a problem in the KAP Arctic, but there's no reason why a similar set-up should not be put together using a roarer burner. I had some connectors made a few years ago whereby 111 bnrs and 8R bnrs could be attached to an Opti Nova pump...

Cool! As it were. :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
I think if I put my 111B burner in a Trangia it would melt the Trangia. Surely a Nova burner would be more than enough. My Nova came with a bracket to fit the Trangia but I've never owned a civvy Trangia so I've never used it.

[Longshot]If anyone knows where I can get a Duossal Trangia 25 please let me know. [/Longshot]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
111B won't melt a Trangia, its no hotter than a 111 or 111T. That said I wrapped an MSR foil wind shield a little close to a Nova and the Nova melted a hole in the foil.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
111B won't melt a Trangia, its no hotter than a 111 or 111T.

Er.... :)

That said I wrapped an MSR foil wind shield a little close to a Nova and the Nova melted a hole in the foil.

Oh, that makes me feel SO much better. :)

I've a non stick Trangia 27 if your interested Ged, PM me.

Thanks Rik, but I really want the Duossal version not the non-stick. And I forgot to mention I'm looking for a 25 not a 27. A 27 just ain't big enough for my dinner. :yikes:

But if you could see your way to pairing the Trangia 27 with, say, a Trapper 81 then I might be persuaded... :)

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

Thanks Rik, but I really want the Duossal version not the non-stick. And I forgot to mention I'm looking for a 25 not a 27. A 27 just ain't big enough for my dinner. :yikes:

But if you could see your way to pairing the Trangia 27 with, say, a Trapper 81 then I might be persuaded... :)

why ruin a Trapper 81 - its so much better than a 27 - or 25 for that matter, it's embarrassing!

Love my Trapper:)

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
This weekend you can get the large Trangia 25-3 gasol which includes their gas (butane/propane) burner unit (but not the alcohol burner) for GBP 47 (aprox) including UK shipping from the ... [now sold out].

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Traded a Trapper for a tent Ged, cracking deal all round, have one un-fired Trapper and that will without doubt go to a Japanese collector sometime in the future. Might trade a Sigg Tourest/123.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE