what size rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is the size of your MOST USED rucksack, for 3 day trips

• Total voters

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
1. Your bag isn't 65 ltrs = it is 65 ltrs

rope = paracord

sleeping bag = snugpak winter thing

How do you know the volume? Have you measured it? There is a great discrepancy between the stated volume and true volume. Some brands are notorius for this, sometimes stating "compressed volume" etc. It is also a kind of modern trend to overstate the volume. I compared the 100 ltrs berghaus atlas with a 100 liters sacci, and the berghaus was dwarfed in comparison.

It sounds weird that you couldn't get that stuff in your pack, on a 9 days wintertrip I managed to cram a lot more in a 70 ltrs sacci (although that pack actually holds 70 metric liters). Among the things I crammed in there was a full trangia, a big synthetic winter sleeping bag, down jacket, slr-camera, 1l thermos, synthetic thermopants, spare set of thermals, 9 pairs of socks, fuel and food for 11 days (winter rations).

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Karrimor Sabre 45 with side pockets.

Inside (for 2 days, 1 night) in no particular order.

Snugpak Elite4 bag
coleman multifuel stove
10 cans of beer;)
change of underwear and top
food
crusader mug
1.9ltr pan with lid
first aid kit
Para cord
Sharpening kit
Maxpedition proteous grab bag (with essentials in it)
Thermarest
Hammock and mozi net
Tarp (Wechsel 4mx3m, packs down to the size of a grapefruit and weighs 860g and its huge):D
2'x2' bit of old kip mat as a dry seat for a log or to stand on when getting dressed

On the outside

Axe
And I carry about 5ltrs water

I think thats it

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
How do you know the volume? Have you measured it? There is a great discrepancy between the stated volume and true volume. Some brands are notorius for this, sometimes stating "compressed volume" etc. It is also a kind of modern trend to overstate the volume. I compared the 100 ltrs berghaus atlas with a 100 liters sacci, and the berghaus was dwarfed in comparison.

It sounds weird that you couldn't get that stuff in your pack, on a 9 days wintertrip I managed to cram a lot more in a 70 ltrs sacci (although that pack actually holds 70 metric liters). Among the things I crammed in there was a full trangia, a big synthetic winter sleeping bag, down jacket, slr-camera, 1l thermos, synthetic thermopants, spare set of thermals, 9 pairs of socks, fuel and food for 11 days (winter rations).

that sounds fishy :twak:

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Forces 88, my only decent bag. Fits about anything I like to take with me on a 3 day trip :)

-first aid kit
-bulky, cheap sleeping bag
-alpkit sleeping mat
-cheap tent
-trangia cooking set + alcohol
-1 extra pair of good hiking socks
-1 extra boxer
-loads of nice food and beer :) (which I don't bring on longer trips)
-warm fleece
-decent rain jacket
-small camera
-loads of small gear: flash light, fork, spoon, some knifes, sun glasses, ...

Everything I take with me, including my clothes (incl heavy Lowa combat boots), weighs less than 20kg.
Shorter trip just means more luxury :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
65L. Get all I need in there plus four cans of beer on top or a bottle of wine!
Mine's an ex-German army issue flecktarn one.
And if you go to my blog: www.durulz.journalspace.com (it's not necessarily bushcraft-related, mind you) there is a picture of all I stuff into it.
Never see the point of anything bigger than 65L. The bigger it gets, the heavier it gets.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Karrimor Sabre 45 with or without side pockets depending on what i'm doing.

Awesome pack.

getimg.cfm

In the thick of winter I take the 75 with side pockets... massive storage and all day comfort.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Lowe Alpine 65 +15. Rarely full to capacity but I like the extra space to add more if necessary. Probably overdo it as it is, be prepared and all that...

A

ANN

uve got to remember all your sleeping stuff and cooking stuff and towels etc will e the same as a longer trip so its really just a few less clothes and maybe food if you are carrying it.

i would recommend anything from 45 - 80 depending on your sizing and how much u need. but if u are buyiing a new one get a minimum 65 coz it wont be too big but will be ok for other trips too.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck

9 pairs of socks is a good idea, I always take a pair for every day, plus maybe a spare. Other clothing can be reworn easily, cold wet socks not so much.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Have posts vanished from this thread? it seems shorter than it was :theyareon

Edited to add:

Ah, I see that I was confusing this thread with this similar one.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have posts vanished from this thread? it seems shorter than it was :theyareon

Thats a plus then, its been going on so long, almost as bad as the Ventile V Gortex threads that pop up when members can't be bothered to use the search facility here.

Off topic, I see the 'A' level results reached another all time high this year:rolleyes:

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
In winter I take a Berghaus Vulcan 100+ litres- however it is only 3/4 full, leaving enough space for fire wood collected on the walk-in, summer time, i'll take a Berghaus cyclops Aniversery 40 litres, I can fit everything in easily as i take a bed roll on top and a poncho- so no waterproofs or basha.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I started out with a PLCE bergan, a reminant from my forces days. I still have it and I use it when using the car and not hoofing it great distances.

Most of the time now I use a 65 ltr Alpine rucksack. I've also got a 35 ltr that I got from Abbe, a 33 ltr Highlander I found and a canvas 45 ltr that I rarely use now.

The 65 ltr Alpine is rarely full unless it's being used on a static weekend.

I'm looking at a 45 ltr at the moment for more lightweight camping. I'll have to hide it though. The wife thinks I've too many bags as it is.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I started out with a PLCE bergan, a reminant from my forces days. I still have it and I use it when using the car and not hoofing it great distances.

Most of the time now I use a 65 ltr Alpine rucksack. I've also got a 35 ltr that I got from Abbe, a 33 ltr Highlander I found and a canvas 45 ltr that I rarely use now.

The 65 ltr Alpine is rarely full unless it's being used on a static weekend.

I'm looking at a 45 ltr at the moment for more lightweight camping. I'll have to hide it though. The wife thinks I've too many bags as it is.

hihi, in most cases, woman's have the most bags ;)

But I also are gonna have the same problem. I've now a 35l Vaude. My first backpack, but not very much used, and it's...... red.
And my 80l was bought for my future trip to sweden in spring/fall, but I reallly don't know how all my campgear (sleeping stuff + tarp + clothes) plus food can fit in there. But I must, because it seems that people carry far less.
And I need a good pack of 35l or something like that for short trips which isn't red :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE