What PCP air rifle should i get ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
The original Logun rifles are beautiful guns ,accurate and well balanced and a trigger that breaks like glass.
The newer models like the axor are made for logun (in Sweden as far as i know) and while they are OK they are not built like the originals.
I almost bought one of the first ones when Jim Logun let me shoot it but the magazine jammed twice and that was enough to make me walk away.

I collected my AA S410 at the weekend and stuck an AA silencer on it and a Simmons 44Mag scope.
I never really liked these little guns but i couldn't believe how accurate and quiet it was for a bog standard little hunting carbine.
The trigger was terrible but a quick polish and adding a few washers made all the difference and I'm looking forward to some 12ft lb hunting.
As i said i never really liked the S410's but my club has 3 for "have a go" rifles and after 3 years of abuse at game fairs and as club guns they are still running so i have a new found respect for these little PCP's.

432_3268_1.jpg

I paid £180 for my rifle c/w 1 mag ,£100 for the scope and £20 for a silencer so all in £300 :) and all unused ,
Now that was a pretty good price and i knew the guy who was selling up but there are good buy's out there so keep looking and im sure you will get sorted for £400.
Clubs tend to be a better bet than shops for a bargain as shooters who are packing can offer complete kits at great prices.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If i was thinking about a new Axor or S410 then i'd recomend a second hand rapid :rolleyes:
A rapid wins hands down every time but between the Axor and the S410 then i'd go with the S410.
If you want to hunt the S410 is the way to go but if you want it for plinking / target and maybe an occasional hunt then you could consider an S400.
Same gun as the S410 but a single shot and a bit cheaper.
The mag is nice for hunting but not essential.
You said your budget is £400 ,is that for a gun and scope or is that for charging kit as well ?

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
It's 400 for just the gun and scope.

How much could you get a rapid for? If it's too much I'll go for an S410 as I do want it for hunting.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
You need to look around but i got a Mk1 ,12ft/lbs ,.22 in a r/h stock and 1 x 7 shot mag for £350.
My first was new and came in at about £800 but that was FAC and a Tyrolean stock.
Loads around and i would think you could get sorted for £400.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was shooting an HW100 a couple of weeks ago.
The new ones have a better stock (the first ones are pants).
Trigger is good and they are very quiet.
I chronoed this one and it was a little inconsistent but certainly a well made gun.
Slower than the opposition for a second shot.

Daystate make a good gun and you have a great little multi shot hunter in the PH6 which should be good value second hand.

rb

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Is the BSA Hornet any good? I handled one at the Game Fair and it seemed very light and handy.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Doc said:
Is the BSA Hornet any good? I handled one at the Game Fair and it seemed very light and handy.

12ftlbs they are ok but the FAC version is rubbish (hard to cock and low shot count).

There are a lot of PCP's around and im in the fortunate position that i have shot a lot of them.
You could say a Frost Mora is a good knife but it's not in the same league as a Woodlore.
A BSA hornet is an entry level PCP ,it is a perfectly usable rifle but it's not direct competition for an AA S41o.
It's comparable to an AA S200.
I would not buy one ,for that money i'd buy a quality springer or a second hand S400 /S410.
Springers are not in vogue at the moment and offer great value.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks - most useful.

Currently have a 25 year old BSA Airsporter 'S' but I do find the thought of a PCP tempting.

Also have a Feinwerkbau 65 recoilless spring-piston pistol that I shoot in competition. Just about everyone uses PCP pistols these days. Nevertheless, in the heyday of the Feinwerkbau 65 the top shots were getting 570+ ex 600 with them, so it is still perfectly possible to compete with one.

I still find springers a good bet if your going to be shooting away from a power source, when camping on land where I have shooting rights, I always use my SFS Spectre ( a custom WH95), no need to rely on bottles and pumps etc. Also at typical hunting ranges, a 12fpe springer is as acurate as a PCP, it only takes more practice - which is not a bad thing.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Can anyone offer advice on the use of a bipod ?
I've just upgraded to an S410 TDR (from a springer), to compensate for being a poor shot; and wonder if a bipod would reduce the chance of a miss any further.

Sorry, late to the conversation, I know (first time poster).

leon-1

Hi chance, bipods are quite good when being used in prone position or if you can use them to support the front end of the rifle.

There are downsides to using them though, firstly that you become reliant upon them if you are not carefull. Try using supported positions a little where you rest your hand against a tree or fence post to give your supporting hand a little help and stability.

You can also use a rifle sling to support a rifle, in prone (when laying down) you can use a small bean bag or a bunched sling to support the hand under the furniture of the rifle.

In the end it does come down to lots of practice, if you try and hold a position for a long period of time you will become unstable and start to shake, try and relax as well as not holding a position for too long, this will reduce muscle fatigue and reduce the shakes a little. Breath normally, don't do the holding the breath bit as this starts to starve the muscles of oxygen once again causing you to shake.
Bipods are good mainly for prone postion, but can be used for others. However do not become reliant on them as the majority of the time if you are hunting you will not get a chance to use one.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks.
I only ever shoot supported, as I know I'm not good enough for a free-standing shot. I'm getting good groups with the new rifle (I even hit a fly at 30m when zeroing; a fluke); but wondered whether a bipod will offer a practical advantage.
If it makes the difference between a wound and a kill, I'm willing to put up with any inconvenience.
However, your advice appears to show that there is no net advantage, so I will perservere with fieldcraft.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
SteveUK said:
I still find springers a good bet if your going to be shooting away from a power source, when camping on land where I have shooting rights, I always use my SFS Spectre ( a custom WH95), no need to rely on bottles and pumps etc. Also at typical hunting ranges, a 12fpe springer is as acurate as a PCP, it only takes more practice - which is not a bad thing.
Agreed 100%. I can group 15mm at 45yds with my TX200mk3 or HW77k Venom springers. Id knock 5mm off of htat with my 'long ago sold' Ripley AR5S PCP rifle. Springers are so much more satisfying and if you keep to the same shooting position, easy enough to master if you keep a consistant hold.

If you want easy though, get a PCP air arms 400 or multishot 410....MUST ALL BE IN .177 unless you are buying a Fire arms version which is above 12ft/lb, in which case get a .22. I hunt and target shoot with my rifles.
By the way, a bipod works VERY well on a PCP rifle, but are hopeless on springers. Let a springer move naturally in the palm of your hand, with a loose grip. Think of the girlfreind ;)

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't use a bipod very often, they are good for long range plinking or hunting but but too slow for general hunting and i tend to use a proper bench rest for taget shooting.
With a PCP like your AirArms try using one of the Field Target sitting stances, either off the knee or over arm stances are very stable and should tighten your group.
When im hunting i often drop into an off the knee position for longer shots as it's very quick given a little practice.

rb

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi
A bipod can be useful to help steady the gun, but as said below there is little to beat a good shooting stance.
I did have a Rapid Mk2 on FAC and used a bipod on that. Useful but on the ground i shoot over undulated wildly and the grass had a habit of growing (how inconsiderate!) so the bipod that only extended to about 12" became useless.

I now use a .17HMR rimfire rifle and use some longer shooting sticks to cope with the greater range (average 100-200m) they are superb but they do make me look like Gandalf in DPM wandering round the farm as they are about 6' tall!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE