What is your favorite non-folding hunting knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
My absolute favorite "hunting" knife is a D.H. Russell made in Canada. I bought mine in the early 1960's and it still looks great. If you are not familiar with this knife, let me say that in photographs it looks slightly odd. Also the handle looks to be too small for anything but the smallest of hands. When you see one in person, it doesn't look odd at all, although the handle does look too small. However, as soon as you pick it up you know that it is a really great knife. I fell in love with mine the minute I held it. Russell designed the knife and had it built by a cutlery man named Grohmann. I expect that Russell is most likely deceased by now. Nevertheless they are still manufactured by Grohmann (grohmannknives.com). In the U.K. they are available from colonialknives.co.uk. (54.99 pounds) I believe they are availabe in carbon and stainless steel both. I'm sure all of the Grohmann line of knives is great, but do yourself a favor and stick with the 'Original" Mine came with beautiful rosewood handles and after all of these years they still look almost new. The only change I would make is to get the fold over snapping sheath instead of the original open topped one. I always worry that I will lose mine. (although If I haven't lost it in 40+ years, I'm probably not going to.) By the way, I don't own any stock in the company. This knife will be a family heirloom for you and yours. Although 55 pounds (I don't have a pound sterling key, sorry) is not to be dismissed as nothing, It certainly is much cheaper than many lesser quality knives.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Do a search on Grohmann and I think you will find folks here are well aware of them.

This is my favorite Grohmann:

Grohmann_pic1_v5.jpg

And the top one in the pic below made by Brian Harrison is my favorite knife of that general design.

russellbeltknives1b.jpg

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Last time I was Elk hunting 3 fellows in camp had those knives. Me, I was carrying my
Butch Hanby Pathfinder.I have hunted with the same 3 guys for years but that was the first time they ever agreed on anything. Good knives .
Jon R.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got the Cold Steel budget version. I keep thinking that a flat ground, or thin scandi, carbon steel version with an antler handle would be pretty awesome. Just a little pricey!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Hoodoo: Looks like you've got the elliptical bladed knife pretty well covered! I had heard of the Herter's knock-off before, but this is the first one that I have seen. Really nice collection.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My favorite is the bottom one in this pic. It was made by a friend. Simple straight
spearpoint blade, 4 7/8 inch blade, 9 5/8 inch overall. A simple basic using knife. And
NO, I do not use it for CHOPPING or BATONING trees or firewood! That is what my
tomahawk is for, NOT my knife.

BoysToys.jpg

The other favorite one is one I made from half a sheep shear. This one turned out very
nice and balanced.

SheepShearKnife.jpg

Although, I would personally prefer that flat side to be on the left instead of the right side.
But that's how the original sheep shear was made.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hoodo is that axe and knife setup in the first photo for making leather thong ? or just for some kind of shaping ? Crackin field idea which ever ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodo is that axe and knife setup in the first photo for making leather thong ? or just for some kind of shaping ? Crackin field idea which ever ;)

That's for making leather strips. I guess you call 'em thongs. Over here, we call something else thongs. ;) Certainly not my idea. Old as the hills. :) First learned it in Boy Scouts when I was a kid.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's for making leather strips. I guess you call 'em thongs. Over here, we call something else thongs. ;) Certainly not my idea. Old as the hills. :) First learned it in Boy Scouts when I was a kid.

Strips was the international word i was looking for ;)
Great idea, its nice to take leather project to the woods where there is time and peace to play.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Just a quick question Hoodoo, why did you pick the flat grind? I like te look of the boat knife I was wondering which would be better flat or the bushy style one?

By pick, do you mean which one do I grab out of my knife drawer? ;)

Ever spend time in a hunting or fishing camp? You are usually slicing up a lot more fish, veges and backstrap than out beating your knife with a baton. :)

Convex ain't bad either. ;) This is a custom from Joe Siefert. Scales are caribou antler.

joe_seifert_belt_knife1.jpg

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Sorry i mean't why was the flat grind your favourite? i see you have allot of the grohmann's and just wondered why you mentioned the flat grind one above was your favourite? i do fancy buying one of these knifes, they look different from everything else which i like

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry i mean't why was the flat grind your favourite? i see you have allot of the grohmann's and just wondered why you mentioned the flat grind one above was your favourite? i do fancy buying one of these knifes, they look different from everything else which i like

Ah! I see now. :) That particular one was a custom order from Grohmann and for a long time, flat ground Grohmanns were hard to come by except the Camper. I have nothing against the saber grind. I feel comfortable with most knife grinds, as long as the knife blade itself is not too thick and the blade is properly sharpened and not left thick at the edge. The grohman above was ground to a very thin secondary bevel. Another reason I like it so much.

For most things I do, I prefer blades 1/8" thick or less and I consider 3/32" thick pretty much ideal for an all round outdoors knife. The Grohmanns are superb hunting/fishing camp knives because they give you lots of clearance between your hand and the cutting board. :) Also, the flat ground Grohmann is better for slicing veges imo, although the standard Grohmann is no slouch. Still, if you have to fillet a fish like this one, my preference is for a thin, flat ground blade. ;) Or even better, a fillet knife. :D

splake1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE