what is your favorite "bushcraft" cheese?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got given some wensleydale cheese in wax. One was with caramelised onions, another ginger and another apricots. You can get cranberries in them too. Not too bad really.

I prefer cheddar in extra mature (I get Joseph Heller's Extra Mature from Booths as it is the cheapest full flavour cheddar there. It is variable though. Sometimes it is tasteless and rubbery like cheap canadian cheddar other times it is crumbly and has almost gritty bits between the teeth with flavour so strong it almost burns your gums!! However if you leave the rubbery version a bit in an opened paper packet in the fridge for a while it goes a bit like the other version. Same brand same model of cheddar just variable. I prefer to cut into bitesized chunks wrapped in paper and in tupperware. Eaten with oatcakes and good german salami on walks is nice.

For backpacking trips where I try to take little as possible and light too I do get primula cheese-a-like tubes. It is so simple to squeeze between two oatcakes for lunch break and both oatcakes and primula last a while. I've used primula in a warm june stored in my pack before now. Each tube gets used up in 2 days tops and I never got ill!!! Never enjoyed any decent flavour neither but you can't have everything when roughing it!! BTW you used to be able to get plain, ham, shrimp, chives and I think another too. I used to see the same thing with a different brand name in France on holidays. Also they had more flavours IIRC.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm partial to a good bit of brie or matured blue stilton, if poss both served with fruit :D
if neither are available i quite like that lake district cheese.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
A wheel of very ripe camembert, poorly wrapped so it splits and oozes throughout your rucksack, coating everything. A cheese so ripe that every person on your deck of the ferry can smell it.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A couple of ounces of Red Leicester or Double Gloucester cut up small makes something very nice indeed when stirred into a bowl of porridge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE