What have you cooked in your crusader cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv made stews in mine. just chop up some meat, potato, onion, peas and gravy powder and boil it for a while. chop it up small to cut cooking times. works prety well if your going solo. lately its only been used for making brews.

pete

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I've used my crusader quite a few times for the usual brew and rat pack and the occasional rice or porridge (oatso simple sachet with water and a spoon of powdered milk, nice and easy way to start the day).

Also managed bannock a couple of times. Carry the bannock mix in a ziploc, add water to mix and put the dough into the mug and cook on a gentle heat. It needs to be turned out of the mug every now and again to cook evenly, or lay the mug on it's side next to a fire to cook in the radiant heat. I found it's very important to keep the dough quite dry. It has a nasty habit of sticking to the mug otherwise!

All in all a nice little experiment. Makes a nice change, eating a savoury bannock (jerky & onion powder) main while the dessert bannock (coconut, almons or dried fruit) is cooking away.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
sausage and beans tasted great, stuck like hell.

stiring with a stick to get in the corners sounds like a good idea.

i think my sons swedish army trangia cook set may be better for proper cooking, but for brews, boil in the bag or dehydrated crusader is good

must try and make a lid, would a beer can cut up be heavy enough

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I cook in mine all the time, but not with the gel or solid fuel. I've a small pop can stove that sits in the bottom, and it works great as a bomb proof little cook kit. It does get much hotter with a meths stove though, so you can't use the plastic lid with one. I have a lid made from a flattened bean tin ith a wire handle that does the job.

In fact I had a bit of a seafood and sanfire medle in mine this very lunchtime, and very nice it was too :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE