Food for camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm looking at the food I take when camping and looking at alternatives. When camping I'm referring to backpacking or car camping on the way back from work, so pretty late at night. I'm cooking using a petrol, gas or meths stove no fire. I've traditionally used Ratpacks or the shop bought alternatives with a few bits added. Of course carrying food in the retort pouch is quite heavy but the last time I used the freeze dried stuff it was foul on par with pot noodles. I've bought some of the freeze dried stuff and am looking at some DIY alternatives.

Yesterday I tried some of the 'Extreme Food' from ALPKIT specifically the rice pudding with cinnamon. I've found that when you put the recommended volume of water in it's rarely absorbed for the given time. I also find that it cools down v quickly. To combat that I wrapped the pouch with water added in my headover and left it for about 10min. It was very tasty full of flavour but the rice was a bit chewy and not all the water had been absorbed leaving it quite 'soupy'.

attachment.php

Today I tried to make my own 'instant' porridge. I used skimmed powdered milk (2.5 heaped tablespoons for 300ml), Quakers old fashioned oats and demerara sugar. I put it into a Ziploc bag and give it a good mix. I then added the boiled water, put it into my 'pouch holder' wrapped it in my headover and left it for 15 mins. Result; chewy oats, tasty enough probably just the sweetness but not exactly porridge. I could have used normal oats or 'quick' oats but I like the old fashioned ones as opposed to baby food.

attachment.php
attachment.php

For lunches I usually I have biscuits brown with peanut butter or Polish pate in tinfoil from Tesco. I use the smooth peanut butter individual sachets found here;

http://www.singleportions.co.uk/peanut-butter---single-portion-sachets-765-p.asp

I've also used some individual Nutella packs and have a tin of this stuff to try out next time around;

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253533984

I have some other freeze dried stuff, Raven, Mountain House and some military stuff when I get round to having them I'll write them up and add them here.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I take sardines... tasty treat and a flat, ring-pull tin... can even heat them up. Does leave you with decidedly fishy breath for the foreseeable though.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Does anyone know where you can buy plastic bags you can seal pre-cooked food in...ie, Mince, stew, potatoes or curries that you just pop into hot water to reheat without the bag melting or exploding. ?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Only one way to find out if they'll stand the test... cheap tin of beans from Aldi, pour them in and try to heat them up on the stove. They either work or they don't.

I have some sandwich bags that are good for cooking, but they are very small. Most I could fit in one is a single portion, which is fine if I'm out alone, but I tend to camp with my lad. And he eats like a horse!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
True...never thought of that...:confused:
Then again i might be picking beans from the ceiling for a month. :lmao:

Aye either make sure you take all the air out of the bag, or open it slightly (making sure it doesn't topple over and spill into the pan). Either way will allow for expansion of air and stop you having to pick beans out of your hair. :D
Sometimes an idea to put a plate or couple of stones on the bottom of the pan to stop the plastic coming into direct contact with the metal as it can get hotter than the 100° of the water.
It does work by the way done it myself.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Is there a reason for specifically using plastic? - I bought a load of mylar foil bags dirt cheap off of eBay and they work a treat. Just a thought ;-)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Butter, haricot, cannellini beans, chick peas with tinned mackerel fillets. or noods with mackerel fillets. Big fan of the tinned fish here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE