Food for camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ideal, but you would need something to heat seal the packs.

You're right, I just had a look on their ebay shop and there's no mention of how you seal the bags, and they don't list anything to do it with; anyone know the ins and outs of the sealing process?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
OK, I've just done a bit of reading and it seems the sealers are quite a price, but you can do it quickly and easily with a cheapo clothes iron; quick and easy to do and some recommend doing it on a ridged surface so you get a number of seals across the top, thus eliminating the possibility of a leak in the one flat seal you'd get on a flat surface.

Sounds do-able to me, you can get a small iron for pennies at the charity shop or poundstore; plenty of videos of this on youtube...........................

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
You're right, I just had a look on their ebay shop and there's no mention of how you seal the bags, and they don't list anything to do it with; anyone know the ins and outs of the sealing process?

Ideal, but you would need something to heat seal the packs.

Down at the bottom of the ad it says that you can seal it with an iron, it is zip locked anyway so heat sealing it will just double up the seal

EDIT- Sorry Macaroon, just seen your reply saying same thing

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I think theres a wider issue on having the stuff in the Mylar bags for long term though. I think British Red had a thread about it and wider food preservation.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I think theres a wider issue on having the stuff in the Mylar bags for long term though. I think British Red had a thread about it and wider food preservation.

I would presume that if your able to vacuum seal them and you are using mylar bags that are food grade material you should be good to store for a while just like rat packs, but as you say British Red would probably know best.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I saw some really tough "seal and pour" bags ages ago but have never seen any for sale....they were great. When opened out (and full) they had a flat bottom and a good strong ziplock top. absolutely perfect for our needs i reckon

A bit like these

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...d=0CGQQMyg8MDxqFQoTCJ3Mr6b1w8cCFUEI2wodJrULoQ

My mum had some of these, they looked quite thick but not sure if they would stand been boiled. I like Dewi's suggestion of getting a cheep tin of beans and trying it, only one way to find out...
http://www.wilko.com/food-storage+food-preparation/wilko-resealable-pour-and-store-bags-23cmx15cm-x-10/invt/0330864

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My mum had some of these, they looked quite thick but not sure if they would stand been boiled. I like Dewi's suggestion of getting a cheep tin of beans and trying it, only one way to find out...
http://www.wilko.com/food-storage+food-preparation/wilko-resealable-pour-and-store-bags-23cmx15cm-x-10/invt/0330864

The ones i'm thinking of could certainly stand pouring boing water in them, seal up and into a pot (bag) cozy and it'll cook anything i'd take out with me
I'll try some of those wilko's bags though next time i pass one cheers

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Okay I haven't been back to this but have a few updates I'll include in separate posts. The next food tasted was Mountain House Spaghetti Bolognese.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Again with dehydrated/freeze dried food I try to keep it warm as it hydrates and wrap it in my headover. This was a substantial meal and I'd be happy with it in the evening after a days walk. It was tasty, lots of tomato and herb flavour not too overpowering and quite a bit of meat/soy bits. It didn't taste like carp and I really enjoyed it.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 158

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Here's one from abroad now via Varusteleka from Finland. I bought these I haven't received them free in order to write a review for them or promote them in any way. This is the rudely ;-) named Ham Cock. Basically it's a pork sandwich in rye bread in a tin.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

This has a best before date of Nov 2020. I left this in the tin and ate this with my spork. The rye bread was quite overwhelming in the flavour combination, not unpleasant but I was surprised. On reflection later I think the temperature left it very cold, it was 0 deg C, so the pork flavour was masked somewhat. I think that it would taste even better if it was a tad warmer, neither do I know if it could be heated in a 'bain marie' style like the old tinned rat packs.

attachment.php
attachment.php

It was tasty and filling but may be an acquired taste with the rye bread. I'll try it again and update this when the sandwich is warmer to see if the pork has a bigger part to play. The down side is though the tin has to be humped back out again as rubbish. The link below will take you to the shop, be warned it's a little risqué in its description. As an ex matelot it made me laugh but the humour may not be to everyones taste.

https://www.varusteleka.fi/en/product/kalakalle-ham-cock-182-g-canned/33760

Attachments

• DSCF1578.jpg
    DSCF1578.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF1576.jpg
    DSCF1576.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF1574.jpg
    DSCF1574.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF1580.jpg
    DSCF1580.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF1584.jpg
    DSCF1584.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The next up is another from Finland and Varusteleka with their Bullet Meal. Again I bought these, they were not supplied to do a review on them or promote them in any way. Now these have been badged as MRE sandwich as well but I understand they're the same thing. I think there is also different packaging. These arrived before Christmas with Jul '17 expiry dates.

attachment.php
attachment.php

They don't weigh much and are about the size of two Mars bars. They're real food cooked and flavoured, I've tried the chilli beef and this one the Thai chicken. It's like chicken and rice cooked formed into a bar then covered in sesame seeds. The sesame leaves the whole thing slightly greasy but not unpleasantly so.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Now these are heavy going I've found that it's best to eat them in two or more sessions. They are really filling in a pleasant way and I definitely felt a surge of energy after eating them. Neither taste, beef or chicken, was strong but they do have a flavour. Biting into the bar you can see the grains of rice and the sesame seeds and it's best to have a drink on hand to wash them down. If I wanted something to eat on the go that will fill me and give me a surge of energy this would be my choice, they're a mean on their own. Varusteleka are keen to point out that they're real food.

https://www.varusteleka.fi/en/product/bullet-meal-mre-sandwich-270-thai-chicken/33891

Attachments

• DSCF1585.jpg
    DSCF1585.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF1586.jpg
    DSCF1586.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1589.jpg
    DSCF1589.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF1591.jpg
    DSCF1591.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Anyone got any info/ideas re HEALTHY camp food?
Porridge is obviously first-rate, as are pre-prepared meals from fresh ingredients.
So many of us don't check labels carefully for toxic/unhealthy ingredients,
(eg sodium etc in cans) and despite feeling our diets are ok,
in fact have unchecked high cholesterol...

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"I also hear good things about Nettle soup."
Nettles are great, and often available around ruins (they like lime) in remote areas - wild trout, nettles, & brown rice = a very healthy meal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE