What films have you watched recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I watched "In the Name of the King" last night, now nobody else needs to. Trust me, that's a couple of hours of my life that I won't be getting back, yet perversely I did watch it to the end.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I watched "Gravity" last night and it was quite good despite Sandra Bullock being the star (not a fan). Though I couldn't help thinking that Raj from The Big Bang Theory would love it being space and Ms Bullock. Would've been better on a big screen though.

Also saw "Behind The Candelabra" the other week and the acting and story was great. Bit of a tour de force for Mr Douglas as a creepy Liberace and Mr Damon as his pal. Even if its not your thing worth it as a good well made film.

The weekend saw me watch Dick Pronekke's bio Alone in the Wilderness again as it's just balm for the soul and pretty bushcrafty - I watch it too often really but it's relaxing.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Thor - The Dark World.
Meh........didn't enjoy it that much. Odd, seeing as I'm a huge comic book geek..."

I'm not a comic book geek but was surprised how much I enjoyed the original Thor movie, possibly something to do with it being directed by Kenneth Branagh, this last one, not so much. It seemed pointless to cast an actor like Christopher Eccleston as the bad guy if he barely has any time on screen to act.

I like those mini black hole grenade type things the bad guys had though, I could use a few of those for some illegally parked cars around here. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not a film but a really nice TV series

[video=youtube;-aaNSQ_s8NM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaNSQ_s8NM[/video]

I've downloaded the first five episodes but the show is definitely on my 'Buy the box set' list.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
On The Road - film version of Kerouac's iconic book. Put this off thinking it would be awful... It was better than I expected and Kristen Stewart is well fit in it :)

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Just finished the second series of House of Cards on Netflix - excellent stuff, though you really have to pay attention to figure out what the heck is going on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jeremiah Johnson - again:)
When the Wind Blows - a great preppers movie....?
Protect and Survive - scary and true!
Hunky Dory - the wife made me do it!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I watched "Gravity" last night and it was quite good despite Sandra Bullock being the star (not a fan). Though I couldn't help thinking that Raj from The Big Bang Theory would love it being space and Ms Bullock. Would've been better on a big screen though.

Also saw "Behind The Candelabra" the other week and the acting and story was great. Bit of a tour de force for Mr Douglas as a creepy Liberace and Mr Damon as his pal. Even if its not your thing worth it as a good well made film.

The weekend saw me watch Dick Pronekke's bio Alone in the Wilderness again as it's just balm for the soul and pretty bushcrafty - I watch it too often really but it's relaxing.

A really good film, Mr D acted very well.

One to avoid. That said it may appeal to some prepper types/end of the world fans.

[video=youtube;wkGOsPOFBVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkGOsPOFBVE[/video]

muracada

Jan 1, 2014
Devon
Just watched "Arn, The Knight Templar" a cracking romance/action/tragedy set in Jerusalem and Sweden. Tells the story of a Christian knight crusading against Salahadin in the Holy Land while the struggle for control of the Swedish crown runs as a parallel plot. Beautiful locations in Sweden, Morocco and Scotland. Excellent costumes and props, hints of superb craftsmanship dutifully acknowledging the armourers, bowyers, swordsmiths et al in the credits. Lots of good leather kit, clothing, treen etc. Also interesting for the use of English, Arabic and Swedish languages throughout. Anyway, I enjoyed it:)

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Just been rewatching some films that had a profound effect on my development as a person, I was way too young to watch most of them but it hasn't done me any harm.

The Lord of the Rings (Ralph Bakshi animated version from the seventies)
Mad Max
Mad Max The Road Warrior
Jaws
Friday 13th
The Shining

I've ever stopped loving Tolkien, I'm still hoping for a dystopian future, the sea and large bodies of water still unnerve me and axe wielding maniacs are always cool.

Funny how I spent most of my childhood watching Star Wars too but now can't stand any of them.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not a film but a really nice TV series

I've downloaded the first five episodes but the show is definitely on my 'Buy the box set' list.

True Detective.

I have been watching this, it is well worth a watch, brilliant performances from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, very dark though.

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Been watching a lot of Korean war films lately. Some of the best war movies you will ever see, if you don't mind subtitles. Here's a few of them. Tried to put trailers for four of them but this forum doesn't let you.:(

City of life and death.
71 into the fire
Brotherhood
Assembly

[video=youtube;5VG1DrvN4rE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VG1DrvN4rE[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just been rewatching some films that had a profound effect on my development as a person, I was way too young to watch most of them but it hasn't done me any harm.

The Lord of the Rings (Ralph Bakshi animated version from the seventies)
Mad Max
Mad Max The Road Warrior
Jaws
Friday 13th
The Shining

I've ever stopped loving Tolkien, I'm still hoping for a dystopian future, the sea and large bodies of water still unnerve me and axe wielding maniacs are always cool.

Funny how I spent most of my childhood watching Star Wars too but now can't stand any of them.

Oh dear Tom, don't say that to a shrink;), just kidding your not a mad knife wielding maniac are you? Good choice, I like revisiting old movies that age gives a perspective on - I even re-watched the Tolkien films again recently and quite enjoyed them despite my previous disliking of the mans books. ( I know heretic). Have to dig out the old cartoon version though (1978), one of the first movies I went to see on my own, Charlotte's Web (1973) and Jeremiah Johnson (1972) being amongst the first I remember at the cinema. The later instilled a desire even at an early age to want to live in the wilderness which continues to this day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE