What films have you watched recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I thought a thread in which we discuss and give our opinions on films we've seen recently might be interesting.

I just finished watching Eastern Promises. This is what crime thrillers should be. This is what should replace Hollywood carbage. Nothing better than a dialogue heavy look at a dark subject matter. Viggo Mortensen was brilliant.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Watched the Green mile not long ago and what a film, superb it was! And the shawshank redemption too, some of the best films ever made! :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Captain Phillips. I was disappointed. Not much really much of a story, just a filming of the facts.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Those are two of the films up there that could be considered some of the best films ever produced, indeed. Redemption is better than the Green Mile I'd say.

I couldn't chose, both films I really enjoyed!

Although I must admit I do love all the films with Simon Peggy and Nick frost for comedy films, especially Hot Fuzz and Paul :).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I watched this last night, http://www.criterion.com/films/165-seven-samurai. A forerunner of the Magnificent Seven. Considering it was made 60 years ago this year, it is still a powerful and moving film. It also stars one of my favourite actors, Toshiro Mifune. I also saw Gravity recently, great film.

If you enjoyed The Seven Samurai you might want to check out Harikiri (the 1962 version) the entire film is on youtube. :)

The last two films I watched were 'Hunger', Steve McQueen's film about the IRA hunger strike and an Italian film 'La Grande bellezza' about an ageing author/playboy set in Rome. Both films were beautifully shot and directed, the first was quite harrowing, the second didn't really go anywhere but lovely to watch.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
If you feel you can, try and give us a list of your top three films or just a list of your favourite films.

I can't list my top three but my favourite films are:

King's Speech
Princess Mononoke
Taxi Driver
Planet of the Apes (original)
Red Dragon
In Bruges
Silence of the Lambs
American History X
The Pianist
Fight Club
Alien
Eastern Promises

(not in order)

Many more but I can't quite remember... I really do like dialogue heavy, character development focused and atmospheric films.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Original Star wars Trilogy
Top Gun
A Bridge too Far
Bridge Over the River Kwai
The Dambusters
Zulu
Hero (2002)
Iron Monkey
Back to the Future
The Karate Kid
Miracle on 34th Street
Toy Story
Its a Wonderful Life

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Recently I have watched:

Life of Pi - excellent film and I spent an enjoyable few hours discussing the various characters and meanings of the story with my MiL and missus.
Croods - Great animation and made me chuckle in places.
Black Hawk Down - One of my all time favourite films but missus doesn't like it so I have to watch it when she is on nights.
Dune - Classic!
Zulu - Even more of a classic
Despicable Me - Brilliant animation and loads of good one liners and slapstic
Epic - Love this animation and a few memorable comedy moments.
Frozen - At the Screen Machine which is an HGV that doubles as an 80 seat cinema. More for the experience than the film ;)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I also recently watched Seven Samurai. Kurosawa was a genius!
Last night watched Goemon. I was expecting martial arts movie but this was so much better. Great film.
Last week a customer lent me the French movie classic "Samourai" with Alain Delon. Brilliant movie and Delon is the epitome of cool.
Good Thread. Simon

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How I Live Now.

Wasn't what I expected it to be, but was a good movie I thought. An American girl comes to the UK countryside to stay with relatives, when war breaks out.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Favorites? No, I really couldn't pick. Too many that I liked over the years. Just a few:

-The Rough Riders (the John Milius version)
-Billy Jack
-The War of the Worlds (both versions)
-War Wagon
-Hanover Street
-The Ten Commandments
-Stargate (the original movie)
-Sniper
-The Last of the Dogmen
-Zulu Dawn (the 1960s version with Michael Caine)
-The White Feather (both versions)
-The Hunt for Red October

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I do like Eastern Promise, "landan cocknee Gangsta" film with ruskies.

The long riders ;unforgiven ;highplains drifter :rooster cogburn

event horison ;hellraisers ;predators ;aliens;jeepers creepers; terminators ; running man total recall

bridge over the river quai ;platoon ; full metal jacket ;apocalypse now

das experiment ; the warriors; escape from new york; 1984;

bring out the dead, Fargo, ferris bulers day off; clueless

but thats just some of my favourites.

Recently.

The butterfly effect , the game and no country for old men off the top of my head.

Edit. A few more

Fear and loathing in las vegas,The good the bad and theuglynight of the hunter,Enemy of the state,Caddyshack ,royal tennenbaums,national,lampoons vacations,As good as it gets,the,shining,Groundhog day,American psycho,gattacka,Being john malcovich,Blues brothers,Goonies,gremlins,Ladykillers original,dr strangelove,Great outdoors,uncle buck,trains plains and automobiles, Midnight express,Airplane,Dragnet,Dirty rotton scoundrels,Where eagles dare,Empire of the sun,Tailor of panama,Usual suspects,Untouchables,7even,,clockwork orange,quills excalibur,battle of midway,jurassic park,jaws, no escape

2nded

blade runner
goodfellas
breakfast club

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE