What do you carry on your sheath.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
My CS Master Hunter is on it's way to me and I'm thinking how to pimp it up a little. I will probably start with a simple fire rod tucked behind ranger band on the sheath, but I have no desire to go with full survival kit attached to the knife messing with my gravity centre.

I'm curious what do you carry on the knife and what are your thoughts on the subject.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Personally I favour nothing at all. Ferro rod on a lanyard in my pocket and sharpening kit in my pack.
All these loaded up sheaths remind me of the Ramboesque survival knives from the eighties.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I think the main thing behind all those survival kits is getting separated from the pack, and that romantic idea of emerging from the woods with just your knife kit. But there is that riddiculous point where it becomes a knife attached to yet another maxp pouch full of bits.

I'm more after a pure convenience, fire steel and a piece of string for a quick brew and a broken shoe lace when I go for a scout away from the camp site.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm working on a sheath at the moment that will carry my knife, a ferro rod and a small sharpening block... but I also want some carrying options.

I agree that some sheathes go a bit too far... there is one I have seen numerous times that is so heavily loaded, I'm not sure they can even access the knife... but I don't see anything wrong with keeping kit together on a sheath. Horses for courses isn't it? If we all carried the same gear, it'd be boring. :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of mine contain nothing but the knife itself. The only two exceptions being an issue Pilot's Survival knife with the more or less useless whet rock that comes with it, and my Leatherman. Said Leatherman being moved to a small pouch with separations for a few other work tools (Mini-Maglite, 6 inch steel ruler, ink pen)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
the pouch on my MOD knife sheath has a section of plasters and a small sharpening stone. My wave leatherman pouch has a pencil, plastic tube with needle and thread, a safety pin & mini firesteel, a section of cord is tucked in as well and the diamond sharpening layer off an old D3 stone and a short section of steel ruler is in between the bit holders..

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I used to carry a large knife ( MoD type D, gollok and god forgive me a Lofty Wiseman parang the wife bought me as a surprise when we were courting ) I'd tape a First Field Dressing to the sheath just in case something went horribly wrong.

These days the only knife I use that has anything attached to the sheath ( as opposed to on the same cord on a necker which all have little innova torches and U.S. Army issue mini pry bars I find so useful ) is my Grohmanns No. 4 Survival which has a built in slot that takes a brass cased diamond sharpening rod that works quite well for touching up the edge.

ATB

Tom

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Some time back "Topknot" made me a horizontal pouch/sheath fro a sak farmer, this is incorporated a slot for a dc4 & a modular attachment for a fire steel, i will try to find photo's, they are on here, but i don't have a clue how to add them to an existing thread.

Rob

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
When I used to carry a large knife ( MoD type D, gollok and god forgive me a Lofty Wiseman parang the wife bought me as a surprise when we were courting ) I'd tape a First Field Dressing to the sheath just in case something went horribly wrong.

TBH for that type of tool it's a damn good idea with the FFD.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Personally I carry nothing at all attached to my knife sheath. I understand why people do it, but it's not for me (well, not any more anyway!) I ask myself how many fires do I need to light in one day such that I need to carry a firesteel at all times, or how many times do I need to sharpen my knife without walking over to my bag to fetch my sharpener!

Mind you it wasn't always like that with me. This used to inspire me at one time:

[video=youtube;9BwUydd2JKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo[/video]

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Just a knife & sheath.. that way there's no chance of losing things.. that you have attached or straped to the sheath.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
I carry nothing on my sheaths unless it has a pocket. Then it is usually a tin with fire making materials in it, that"s it. I detest a weighty knife/sheath system. I also always have a Swede fire steel covered in silicone rubber then pushed into a clear fuel line. It has remained inert/noncorroded for years and is always with me as it has all my keys alongside it on para. I generally toss a lighter (two if felt needed) in my pockets, and anything else is a back up.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hmm I tend to loose things that aren't tied down so the sheath as a carry system works for me, I find the firesteel, dc4, needle and some paracord complement a sheath without turning it into a boat anchor and mean I don't loose stuff, so saying I usually carry backups in my pack...

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Usually nothing.
I've tried various configurations but I always go back to basics.
Keep my fire steel on a lanyard in a pocket and sharpener is in my multi tool which I keep in my belt.

my leatherman supertool lives in a victorinox pouch together with a screwdriver/bitset, 3concrete nails and a piece of hacksaw blade and that's it as far as it goes for me right now:eek:-- but a few small items live in an ADF compass pouch on the same belt.....

admittedly i'm thinking about a backup firelighting device attached to my F1 (carried in a kind of baldric /shoulder holster) in case i carry nothing else but i havent found a solution yet....

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I like nothing at all attached to my sheaths. I have a belt pouch for things I don't want to get separated from. Firesteel loops have never seemed secure to me (plus the firesteel I use right now is one of those big ol plastic cased things) and I think ranger-bands for holding first aid stuff to my sheath is much less convenient than a belt pouch anyway. I agree that the knife sheath survival kit is a romantic idea (especially to those of us who had those rambo survival knives as kids) but impractical IMO.

I recall a while back I started making kydex-leather hybrid sheaths. Since they used a common hole spacing I was able to bolt a big knife to a small knife. I felt very clever, as I'd admired piggy back sheaths for a while. Unfortunately the thing was so damn heavy I'd have been better off just carrying my full-sized double bit and a SAK. Live and learn. A well balanced belt is a wonderful thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE