What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
In my quest for perfect cordage, I just bought some Atwood microcord, 1.18 mm diameter, 46 kg breaking strain.

Now i wouldn't dangle myself off a cliff with it, but other than I can't think of much I wouldn't use it for. I'd have thought it would even work for a tarp ridgline and guy lines. Anyone else used this stuff?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
In my quest for perfect cordage, I just bought some Atwood microcord, 1.18 mm diameter, 46 kg breaking strain.

Now i wouldn't dangle myself off a cliff with it, but other than I can't think of much I wouldn't use it for. I'd have thought it would even work for a tarp ridgline and guy lines. Anyone else used this stuff?
I have used similar that I bought at a Yacht chandlers. Very strong and I use it for a light weight tarp line: I have two prussick knots with a carabiner on each ‘loop’ set at the distance required for my tarp. I have hung all my gear on the line and it barely stretches.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
A surplus sleeping bag. Have no use for it now, bought it with prepping in mind.

45949619f54120befc.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Being impressed with the ones I got the wife and youngest a week or so back I visited Outdoor Action again and had a root through all the 17 quid Craghoppers fleeces they are knee-deep in and found a 4XL in an acceptable green. Also got a slightly reduced Trangia small mess tin.to build a basic shelter/hot drinks/ signalling/ days worth of personanal meds kit to be carried on my person rather than in a bag.

20220315_173343.jpg

ATB

Tom

Reactions: cbrdave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In anticipation of some ebay sales and since the Go Outdoors in Blackburn is having a closing down sale we had a bitof a binge today on top of some stuff being delivered. It's supposed to be a temporary closure but it was still at least 30% off which stacked with some scout based money off thing herself has. Anyroad I got some stuff I'd wanted to for a while like a winter Tilley Tec Wool hat with ear covers but couldn't previpusly afford and got a few presents for her self, the hemp Tilley, socks and bizarrely since she doesn't fish tge line and hooks. Also got a son the 4 lake district maps he moaned I didn't have for him to use.

20220319_194312.jpg

Also got a few bits in other shops but most was from. GO.

At

Tom

Reactions: Madriverrob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice. I'm a big fan of DeWalt 18V XR tools. Their battery 4.5" angle grinder is superb

Have you tried these? I'm always suspicious of "off brand" batteries
Their angle grinder is next on my list.

My mate recommended them to me, he said they're fine in his saw and jigsaw but the drills and grinder don't like them much so he uses genuine Dewalt batteries in them

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Their angle grinder is next on my list.

My mate recommended them to me, he said they're fine in his saw and jigsaw but the drills and grinder don't like them much so he uses genuine Dewalt batteries in them
Thanks Steve! The grinder is awesome but if doing serious grinding it will go through a 5.0ah battery quite quickly. We have a few batteries because we use them on hedge trimmers, strimmers etc. The batteries charge fast too, so no real issue, but if working on a "no power" site, take a few spares or an inverter in the car.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’m waiting for a Tecsun PL-368 radio and a (passive) MW loop antenna to make their way across from Hong Kong. At home, my old Freeplay Summit radio is still in near-constant use, but it’s a bit to big and heavy to bring along when I’m out and about. The Tecsun will hopefully be a good and more portable substitute for travelling. Since the Tecsun is is quite tall and narrow, I’m also getting a little 3D-printed stand, but it’s a shame there’s no foldable stand for it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
SIGG stainless steel lunch box. Cheaper than most other SS options @ £17
Superfoodio Peanut Butter Buttons, not tried but curious.

Reactions: swyn

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
SIGG stainless steel lunch box. Cheaper than most other SS options @ £17
Superfoodio Peanut Butter Buttons, not tried but curious.
Arrived. SIGG box is nice and solid, lid has a heft to it.

The peanut butter buttons are a disappointment. There are 7 buttons (~20mm diameter and 9mm high) per pack. Which puts each button at around 20p each.
Only tried the plain original ones so far, and they are ok, chunky peanut butter with a solid chocolate style texture.
Have coco crunch and pb&j (strawberry) varieties still to try.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE