What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
View attachment 70255

Did a bit of experimenting and to get the amount of light I wanted I had to go up two sizes of wick. Anyroad I made 7 like that and rewicked 3 of the parafin wax ones. To be honest they seam to burn as brightly as the beeswax ones. I had to trim the wicks on those quite short or the flame hit the heat spreader at the top!

Atb

Tom
I have never though to recycle those little ally pots ... but will now, if only to save a trip to Ikea.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
You do need to save the .little metal discs to put what ever you use as a wick in as the whole pot of wax melts after a while and the wick would fall over.

The thicker wick really gives a bigger flame. Should do a test burn to see how long it lasts, a lot less than 8 hours I bet. The mini can take 3 of them wrapped in a bit of J cloth, no rattling.

In theory there are 10 and even 12 hour versions of the 38mm diameter tea light but I've never seen them outside of googled adds. The 8s are a inch tall.

Atb

Tom

Reactions: Billy-o

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Ordered but not recieved yet; Helikon supertarp in Pencott Wildwood camo.

Also ordered but not yet recieved a pouch for my Fiskars foldable spade. (Will make a shoulder carry sling for it).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Also ordered but not yet recieved a pouch for my Fiskars foldable spade. (Will make a shoulder carry sling for it).

The Tarp looks good. Shame its not got an internal reflective finish.

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
Not today but a few days ago, I got a fallkniven r2 scout. Couldn't see much about it online but I thought I'd go for it anyway as I wanted a smaller knife with good stainless steel to use when I'm carrying an axe or over winter generally. So far I'm very pleased.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
These do look rather nice tarps - love that pencott scheme too. The only thing that I notice (and it might just be that the pictures are not accurate) is that there is not a central loop along the ridge - which presumably means its rather limiting if someone were to want to pitch it on the diagonal/in a diamond. I suspect something that can be readily overcome though! Hmmm, my 3x3 DD tarp is starting to get a little tired....

Reactions: nigelp

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My plan is to set it up like in this photo. But instead of ridgeline I´ll use two telescopic tarp poles and a little higher so that sitting is possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The designer of Pencott pattern was at the Moot a few years back. It is a nice pattern to be sure.

If a tarp needs a ridge line loop, it is far from difficult to add it if you have even no more than a needle and thread. Very easy with a sewing machine. I would not let that stop me if I liked all the other features.

What have I bought? Well, not today, but got some AEBL steel due for delivery today, hope to make my dad a carving knife (beef not beech) for Christmas.

Also, due Monday, is an order of fabric from Ripstopbytheroll from their moving sale. Some 1oz nylon for a tent liner, some waterproof tent floor material, but most interesting is the 1.1oz silpoly in A-TACs iX camo which I aim to turn into a universal tarp-of-invisibility one day.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The designer of Pencott pattern was at the Moot a few years back. It is a nice pattern to be sure.

If a tarp needs a ridge line loop, it is far from difficult to add it if you have even no more than a needle and thread. Very easy with a sewing machine. I would not let that stop me if I liked all the other features.

What have I bought? Well, not today, but got some AEBL steel due for delivery today, hope to make my dad a carving knife (beef not beech) for Christmas.

Also, due Monday, is an order of fabric from Ripstopbytheroll from their moving sale. Some 1oz nylon for a tent liner, some waterproof tent floor material, but most interesting is the 1.1oz silpoly in A-TACs iX camo which I aim to turn into a universal tarp-of-invisibility one day.

The ATACs along with the PennCott are both very effective camo patterns imo.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Have been looking for a better, cheap waterproof jacket and found this Helly Hanson jacket on ebay, looks to be in good condition.... Will see Screenshot_20211105_110357_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211105_110403_com.android.chrome.jpg

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I must get that book about Cranbourne. My father in law was neighbours with the last of the Pitt-Rivers and his ‘husband’ William, and being an amiable bloke, used to get them down to The King John at Tollard Royal.
It’s a good read and written in an approachable way. I had it from the library first and really enjoyed it. I’m going to go out and have a look some of the locations mentioned. From the ‘curses’ at Wyke Down you can apparently view the winter solstice sun setting over a long narrow on the hills to the south west.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Zebra pans arrived early, while we were away at the I laws so excellent prompt service there.

The pans are as well made and sturdy as you expect from Zebra.

20211107_155654.jpg

As I guessed they would the 14 and 16cm lids and inners from the standard Zebras fit the pots perfectly so I can mix and match as required.

20211107_155838.jpg

Once I've got myself together I'll make another roll top waxed canvas again to take the 3 pan set.

The Mountain Warehouse in Oxford was having a closing down sale so I blew 11 quid on a shopbrand 80 litre drybag.

20211107_170550.jpg

It will keep a son off my 0rtlieb bag liner.

Also got a 5kg bag of atta flour for making various forms of flat bread while camping, not made any for many a year and was remindeded of it by seeing a old Combat and Surival article I'd saved in a scrap book

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE