What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tracks by Robyn Davidson. True story about a woman’s journey across the Australian desert with four camels and a dog. Fed up with all the rain so this isn’t a bad escape from reality.

Cor , Thats a long way - I bet she had a right hump at the end of it. :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Down but not Out - Canadian Armed Forces, one of Mors favourites iirc.

31722712851.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Currently reading A Canticle For Leibowitz which was one of the sources of inspiration for the Fallout franchise. The book opens with a monk scavenging from an underground bunker in a desert in post nuclear apocalypse USA with the looming threat of mutant creatures.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now that’s a blast from the past. We still have a copy somewhere tucked among the Azimovs.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Storyyland: A New Mythology of Britain by Amy Jeff's is a secondhand book I've just bought to read. Over the years I've read a lot of ancient Greek mythology, a bit of roman, a bit of Norse, very little old English basically beowulf, a bit of Aztec but very little from our own lands. I've even read Egyptian mythology but found Neil Gaimen's British mythology book uninteresting to read. I thought he was supposed to be good writer.

Other than that I've got an old book, a gazette of industrial archeology of the lake counties. That's three counties. Looks a good book. Part of a series of the UK industrial archeology.

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Rounding off my triad of bunkerpunk I finished Wool by Hugh Howey last week. It's a slow burn at first but builds up intrigue and pace.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Been in Hospital so my library was limited.

Richard Osmans Thursday Murder Club. (Good fun says she who hates whodunnits)

The Novelisation of The Dark Crystal (Oddly Timley as now a new documentary on Henderson; This is what he wanted to be remembered for rather than the Muppets).

Redknaps Llangorse Crannog.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Absolutely loved the video of Dark Crystal.
Besides all the wonderful detail as we explored their world there was the ultimate chimera of apparent good and apparent evil. Quite a lot to digest.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve only seen the version that I still have on VHS. I shall not watch any sequel or re-do, I find them almost invariably disappointing.
I will mention an exception - Rowan Atkinson’s Maigret is better than that of Rupert Davies.

The Dark Crystal ecology was literally fabulous. The whole thing was shot in a muted pallet.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The prequel is worth a punt (if only for the skeksis; The Gelfling are wonderfully visualized but ultimately they are skeksis fodder and unmournable).

Wasted on a modern generation; has been accused of being Computer Magic.

(Cgi used to mostly remove puppeteers, and the like)

Also I bet Henderson would have a puppet climb or descend a rope ladder. (A scene obviously fudged).

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I watched the prequel and loved it then I watched it again and loved it again. The 'making of' documentary was as good as the series too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE