What are the essential Bushcraft books a man should own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
A Top 10, in no particular order (it could easily become 25)

• Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
  • The Outdoor Survival Handbook - Raymond Mears
  • Camping and Woodcraft - Horace Kephart
  • Wildwood Wisdom - Ellsworth Jaeger
  • Snow Walker's Companion G&A Conover
  • Camp-lore and Woodcraft - D. Beard
  • Primitive Technology 1 - D.Wescott
  • Primitive Technology 2 - D. Wescott
  • Food for Free - R. Mabey
  • Woodcraft - Nessmuk

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There are a few here I haven't read. Maybe we should do a book review section.

Most of what has been stated above would come in my top ten, but the Tramp Camping book that PJMCbear lent me is definitely up there too. Wrote in 1920-something or over, it is as relelvant today as it was back then. Kit has changed, but the basic principles remain the same. He references Kep and Nessmuk in the book too, and throws in a few anecdotes along the way. It is a great book, brought to our attention by BcUKs' own friendly viking, Wayland, who found it in a second hand book store if I remember correctly. It is easy to read the whole book in an evening, as it isn't a thick tome such as some of the others, but the info is top notch. It covers the usual subjects, but doesn't go in depth into them. It leaves enough information for you to get by. It really is a good book.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As my ID'ing of plants is not all that it should be, my top 5 at the moment leans strongly towards field guides ...

• Woodland Trust - Wild flower swatch & Leaf ID swatch booklets
  • Collins - Complete Guide to British Wildlife
  • Collins gem - Food for Free
  • RM - Essential bushcraft
  • RM & Gordon Hillman - Wild Food

Simon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The predictable ones have been done and Spam beat me to Tramp Camping so here are a few less predictable ones from my shelves.

Allen & Mikes Really Cool Backpackin' Book.

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin.

Cache Lake Country by John J Rowlands.

Bushcraft br Richard Graves.

The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W Ashley

“Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine ” by Dr Jim Duff MBChB and Dr Peter Gormly MB FRCS

Song of the Paddle by Bill Mason

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
There are a few here I haven't read. Maybe we should do a book review section.

Most of what has been stated above would come in my top ten, but the Tramp Camping book that PJMCbear lent me is definitely up there too. Wrote in 1920-something or over, it is as relelvant today as it was back then. Kit has changed, but the basic principles remain the same. He references Kep and Nessmuk in the book too, and throws in a few anecdotes along the way. It is a great book, brought to our attention by BcUKs' own friendly viking, Wayland, who found it in a second hand book store if I remember correctly. It is easy to read the whole book in an evening, as it isn't a thick tome such as some of the others, but the info is top notch. It covers the usual subjects, but doesn't go in depth into them. It leaves enough information for you to get by. It really is a good book.

Tramp camping? I just got one wrote in the 1930`s by gipsy petrelungo (not sure on the last name) Its called "Romany hints for hikers" Though his bushcrafting , perhaps a sign of the times, is alot more hard core than todays. He advocates making your own sleeping bag and tent, usually just using old macs sewn together, though some of his advice is a little dodgy, such as boiling holly leaves to make a nice tea(?) and his mushroom picking advice is deadly (edible mushrooms can be peeled, poisonous ones are crumbly!) so I would only recommend it as an interesting little book into romany techniques.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
andew lane survival advantage is the best book ive got. and if you get hold of old herdal books 50,s 60,s 70,s are the best they contain the best info also tom brown jnr wilderness books are brill

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Ray Mears - 'The Survival Handbook' (his very first book)

Mors Kachanski - 'Bushcraft'

Anthonio Akkermans - 'Bushcraft Skills and How to Survive in the Wild: A Step-by-step Practical Guide'

Richard Mabey - 'Food for Free'

Roger Phillips - 'Wild Food'

I know I've had my five but I'm not sure what else I could choose if I was allowed more. So many books are so similar in content, I rarely find one that catches my eye. I suppose some of the good outdoor first aid books, Codey Lundermans (sp) book on 'How to keep your bottom alive' is an original take on a well worn subject. 'Woodland Ways' by Ben Law? I don't rate the Kephart book that much (heresy!). I've a god book somewhere on building our own survival kits - starts well with some good advice on personal carry stuff but then goes a bit awry with massive exped group kits. Some of the Australian books are good but of little use here in the UK. Also Lofty's is the original survival handbook in my opinion - much copied, but I just don't like it as much as some of the others.

Difficult question!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Man! It looks like I have to turn in any bushcraft "creds" I might have accumulated. I read through the lists of books people were listing and don't have most of them.

I do have an original edition of Kephart, and a recent copy of Nessmuck. Plus the two books from the Society for Primitive Technology. I even have one of Tom Brown's first books on "buskcraft" around here somewhere.

But none of them other books. Just like I "ain't got no" Mora, no Ventile, no stainless billy, no hammock, nor any backpack newer than WWII. So I guess I just have to hand over any bushcraft credentials I might have.

Hmmm... but I do have books like Lost Country Life, The Explorations of Radisson, A World Lit Only By Fire, The Working Cowboy, The Complete How-To Book of Indiancraft, The Robin Hood Handboook, and for a "fun" read Jack-Knife Cookery. Hmmm ... there's also something called Buschcraft by Graves --- wonder where that came from?

So it goes out here wandering the culturally barren wastelands --- sans Mears, Mors, Grylls, etc.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah but do you have Carla Emery's Encylopaedia of Country Living or the Balls Blue Book Mike?

:D

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Aaah but do you have Carla Emery's Encylopaedia of Country Living or the Balls Blue Book Mike?

:D

Red

Yes, I do have Emery's book. And another book called Possum Living. And every issue of Mother Earth News. Plus many issues of Harrowsmith magazine, Farmstead, Small Farmer's Journal, and another assortment of magazines/journals. And there are an assortment of various books buried on the shelves and in piles here and about. It is often surprising what things can be found in old journals and travel accounts - of their provisions, issued equipment, and the trevails encountered.

But I still have almost nothing of what is usually talked about here on BushcraftUK - nor do I have a desire to acquire any of it. My interests are just more concentrated on a far earlier time period, and the gear/methods associated with those early days.

So it goes with ... personal choice.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I can't believe noone's gone for:
Nessmuk Woodcraft and Camping, great inspiration and some techniques.

For more inspiration:
Tom Brown Jr., The Tracker
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (includes no Bushcraft per se, but the philosophies are very relevant)

For actual techniques:
Lofties SAS survival handbook
RM essential bushcraft
Bushcraft magazine...

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
My top five are already listed; but they're not the ones to which I most often refer.
I've got a number of (often conflicting) field guides, and reckon that a decent mushroom book might be the most useful book some of us have.
There are also a few decent alternatives to Richard Mabey out there these days; and a new one promised by a TV bushcrafter to consider for future lists.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE