weihrauch springer choices?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
The HW99s is a cracking little gun, I have had one for about 4 years and it's served me well so far at 25 yards indoor range I shoot at (Plus various ranges on a farm) I used to be able to get around 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards its a really lightweight air rifle as well :)
I also have a AirArms S410 and your can get a pellet through the same hole time after time with one of those!
A number of people I know have the Airarms TX200 and the build quality is perfectly fine.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I just used a stirrup pump for all my pcp's, and never had any problems with it, i read negative comments with the s410 you only get 60 shots before a recharges is needed, if your out shooting game or vermin and get 60 shots then you would be very happy, you wouldnt be moaning about missing out on other shooting.

Stirrup pumps can also be picked up very cheaply secondhand on airgunbbs, so realistically there is no "other gear" than a stirrup pump, if you choose to go down the divers bottle way, then yes that could get expensive but why bother, couple of minutes of pumping and the guns charged!!

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
Thanks for all the comments folks! had no idea about the dodginess of weihrauchs! from all the reviews I've read they have all been praise. I'm beginning to bend in the direction of air arms, the tx200 sounds good and I've seen it for 250 s/h.

I'm not so sure about pcps seems a lot of hassle pumping up etc, all the cheaper models (upto 500) only take around 40 shots per charge, I'd be pumping all day at the target range. Plus my springer is sooo easy to maintain and I've read many warnings about opening up pcps, very dangerous.

It seems a lot of the new models of weihrauch and bsa are getting bad reviews of build quality.

anyone know what sort of decent hunting range I can hope for with a tx200? I can manage one inch groups at 20 yards with the meteor, wouldnt go further than that though. I would be hoping for around 30 yards. If I were to go for a cheap pcp what sort of hunting range could I hope for and what price would I be looking at for a stirrup pump???

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im not an expert but when i was looking for air rifles (dreaming) i heard nothing but good news about the tx200 and hw77. either would be a good choice but posably tx200 just for the sake of supporting a british make! the air arms factory is actually very local to me, its in hailsham and sometimes drive past it:)

pete

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
If you went for a Air Arms PCP you would be as accurate with that as any other pcp, they may not be the most expensive but they are exceptionally accurate, a pump I would expect to pay £50-60

The pcp unlike the springer has no real mechanical parts so there is no need to strip it down!!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It is all well getting a pump - but don't forget that you are likely to need an adapter to actually plug it into the rifle.
though the chances are that if you buy second hand it will come with it.

Jonnie - don't be put off of Weihrauch because we say bad things - they are very good rifles its just that there have been reports of badly cut springs scratching up the internals. They are still very good, but may need attention.
Second hand models and older models may have had this addressed already. so bear that in mind.

That said - the tx200 is a very good gun.

I'm no fan of air arms s400 PCP rifles - though I am very fond of the S200 - best gun in it's class I'd say.

You have to be patient with the second hand market - very good deals crop up occasionally.

Andy

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
fair enough I shall bear that in mind. How many shots per charge will an s200 do? I was looking at the bsa ultra, which comes out at around 275 s/h, but they only do around 40 shots per charge.

whats the view on hw57's? I know they are a more basic model than the hw77 but will they shoot pretty much the same?

Im going to head down to my local gun shop and try a few out to see what I like.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
got the tx200 hc, cracking gun, heavy but steady in .22 with a nikko gameking 6-24x 50 illuminated and adjustable objective scope. like the look of the theben evolutuion gas ram though

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......like the look of the theben evolutuion gas ram though

i used to have a theoben scirrocco, which i believe the evolution was based on, and it was a stunning rifle, by far the best springer that i've ever shot. that said, someone suggested the (gas ram) HW90k earlier, and that's a fantastic rifle, one that i'd happily recomend to anyone.

stuart

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers stu, is gas ram basically like pump up pneumatic? I've got a crosman medalist pump up pistol which is great to shoot, a rifle with the same format would be awesome.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
I went the route of buying lots of rifles that other folk told me would be a good idea and then finally came back to the one I wanted in the first place - a trusty old (second hand, built about 1991) Weihrauch HW80. it is a big old lump of a rifle, very solidly built. It will last you a lifetime. Ignore the comments about dodgy internals. The problem does exist but not on older rifles. If you pick up a rifle second-hand from Blackpool Air Rifles they can sort out any issues, in fact, buying from a gun retailer enables you to get them to take it apart for you and service it before they send it out. If you want an underlever rather than a break-barrel then look at the HW97k ;)

I will not give up my HW80 for anything now. Its rugged simplicity keeps me smiling shot after shot. I use it for pigeons and rabbits - it is a .22

All the best and happy shooting. Oh, and have a look on the Weihrauch Owners Club forum. Lots of information and VERY knowledgable folk on there.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
cheers stu, is gas ram basically like pump up pneumatic?.....

the theoben gas ram system at it's simplest uses a sealed pnuematic unit, a gas ram, as a replacement for the spring that you find in traditional "springers". they're a little bit lighter, have greater consistency shot-by-shot, don't lose power over time, don't lose power if left cocked for a long period, have a smoother firing cycle, have added gadget bonuses, etc. i like the theoben gas ram system a lot, but i couldn't tell you which one of the aforementioned points is the relevant one. it's a little bit like gore-tex, if you see the gore-tex label on something then you know that it's built up to a certain standard, if you see the theoben label on something then you know that it's built up to a certain standard too.

stuart

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
well I splashed out again and got an oldish AGS pcp. Pretty much like a brocock concept with thumbhole, only does around 30 shots per charge but very nice. The tx200 is shooting incredibely well, half inch groups at 25 yards are easy. Wont be long until I'll be able to hunt with it, just need more practice!

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I like my HW97K - had it for years. Very accurate. A little heavy for some people and the real shorties (like Mel) struggle a bit with the underlever.

I have an s410 carbine, which is a superb gun. I managed to pick up a bottle with mine when i bought it second hand. USed when i need something a bit more stealthy or if i am trying to knowck over a few things without the others noticing.

shamal

Mar 13, 2010
Bolsover
Had a Hw80 for many years 25 maybe more never had no trouble, guns do need stripping cleaning and re-greasing prob 12mnths depends on use... due to damage to shoulder my son has drifted me towards PCP now own scorpion .177 and hornet multi .22 only because could not stretch to HW100 lol, still got the HW80 and still brings good results when taken out see if you can visit a club and try different guns if not the big gun shops have ranges try them out then look second hand,, and the pumps are well over £100 not seen non cheaper but is reasonable to have recharged at gun shop or dive centre

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE