Webtex rucksacks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Webtex.What is the general opinion on their rucksacks.Are they tuff and longlasting,comfy ect.They look very good value to me.Anyone got/use one/used one and would you recomend them.Thank you.

PaulW

Sep 19, 2004
Basingstoke, Hampshire
CLEM said:
Webtex.What is the general opinion on their rucksacks.Are they tuff and longlasting,comfy ect.They look very good value to me.Anyone got/use one/used one and would you recomend them.Thank you.

I ordered one from Bearclaw/Gary.... it turned up very fast but unfortunately I was out at the time so I have to wait for it to be re-delivered, I'll give my honest opinion in the next day or three.

PaulW

Sep 19, 2004
Basingstoke, Hampshire
OK, so I know have an OD Web-Tex PLCE Bergen to replace my medium sized US army ALICE pack.
The Bergen is very well made from 1000 denier waterproof Cordura for the body and aluminium for the frame, it has 2 removable pouches that can be attached to a separate yolk (included) to give a 20LT day sack. The pouches are zippered shut and each one is held onto the main rucksack by 2 zips and 4 quick release clips, to give you an idea of size 1 pouch holds my Swedish issue cook set, a small Trangia kettle and an Alladin thermal cup with plenty of room to spare. At the moment it's a complete mystery to me how the pouches fit onto the yolk.
The main rucksack has the internal frame which seems to take up no room whatsoever as it's made from aluminium flat bar. there is a small pocket on the rucksack for holding smaller stuff, again to give you an idea of size I have got my hand-warmer, 12 charcoal sticks, 6 foil emergency blankets, 8 AA batteries, bungees, lighters and matches. The top of the pocket is zippered with a Velcro flap.
Inside the rucksack is just 1 compartment, the top has an extra extension probably made from nylon or something similar if you can't manage to fit everything inside the main compartment, both the extension and top of the main compartment have drawstring closures. I have managed to fit a British army arctic sleeping bag, a bivvie bag and a spare set of clothes and my Gore-Tex jacket inside without using the extension. The lid has 2 zippered flattish compartments one inside and the other outside.
The whole Bergen also has webbing loops for attaching kit to and compression staps. The padded shoulder and waist belt are OK but a bit thin there is also a webbing handle too.
On the whole it's very well made and should last for a long time (I am pretty hard on my rucksacks). My only criticism is the straps are not that thick or wide although they a contoured and feel fairly comfortable in use. :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Paul

I'm getting a rocket pack in the post soon so I will post some pics of how to attach the pockets to the yoke if it would be useful. There are a few ways to do it, you can have one pocket on there for a 10 litre day bag or both for 20 litres. They are fairly comfy when you set them up.

Bill

PaulW

Sep 19, 2004
Basingstoke, Hampshire
tenbears10 said:
Paul

I'm getting a rocket pack in the post soon so I will post some pics of how to attach the pockets to the yoke if it would be useful. There are a few ways to do it, you can have one pocket on there for a 10 litre day bag or both for 20 litres. They are fairly comfy when you set them up.

Bill

That would be great, thanks Bill :biggthump

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for replying to my questions chaps,i was going to buy two Alice packs of a bloke at work but when i came to look at them they were pretty worn out.Its a tuff knowing what to get but by the sounds of things the Webtex sound ok.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tenbears10 said:
Paul

Bill
Great sac that Bill, ive got one and it fits the bill perfectly, well it will when you get it :rolmao: dont forget they've got 2 raincovers in the bottom, one cammo one sand, tell us what you think when you get it matie :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rocket pack fits you JP cos your a short bottom :wink: - mine was half way up my back - gave me back ache with anything heavier than a cheese sandwich in it.

Plus its not actually a 125 ltr bergen - the rocket pack is just an over sized daysack -- if thats your cup of tea go for the Karrimor sabre 45 much better IMO.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Gary

I thought about the sabre 45 but I've seen them for £90 and no pockets or yoke so add another £30 odd at least. That is a hell of a lot for an oversized daypack like you say. Having said that all told the snugpak is 60 litres which is a full sized rucksack unless you always pack too much like me.

Bill

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Lith they might not be but some are still available =- try PRI.

Bill your right cost is a big factor and 60ltrs is good for a weekender but I still maintain the snugpacket tocket was designed for soldiers and designed to site on top of their webbing pouches as such I have found it way to short in the back for serious work - my wife is 5'1" and it fits her perfectly.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Lithril said:
Is anyone actually still making the Sabre 45 with Karrimor no longer around?

Lithril

I thought Karrimor the manufacturer was still around but the shops had gone belly up. There is still a Karrimor shop in Ambleside in fact so someone must still be making the products. Correct me if I'm wrong someone but that's what I thought.

:?:

Bill

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Gary said:
Rocket pack fits you JP cos your a short bottom :wink: - mine was half way up my back - gave me back ache with anything heavier than a cheese sandwich in it.

Plus its not actually a 125 ltr bergen - the rocket pack is just an over sized daysack -- if thats your cup of tea go for the Karrimor sabre 45 much better IMO.
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: compact and cute actually :rolmao: wolves arnt tall but you wouldnt fancy one as a furry necklace :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: lets have a list of who uses what? ive got a snugpak rocket pack for short asses :naughty: what do you all lug your gear about in?? :?:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
tenbears10 said:
Lithril

I thought Karrimor the manufacturer was still around but the shops had gone belly up. There is still a Karrimor shop in Ambleside in fact so someone must still be making the products. Correct me if I'm wrong someone but that's what I thought.

:?:

Bill
Could well be, although they were selling off some VERY cheap gear at the NEC this year so I'm not sure. I'll have a root around later and see if I can find out any more.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Mal,

You need to find out how long your back is.
Measure from the tops of your shoulder down to the small of your back. That will give you your approximate back length.

See how that compares to the fixed back length on the Sabre 75.

If it's miles out then you might consider the adjustable back on the Sabre 80-120 or another brand of Rucsack. As Gary correctly points out things like the Snugpak rocket pack and the issue PLCE pouches and yoke are designed to be used in conjunction with issue web gear or belt kit so they sit high on the back above the waist line which is already occupied with a belt full of pouches.

If you are going to carry a loaded 75 ltr rucksac any real distance over hilly terrain. then you need to get it to fit you as well as possible. Since you probably dont use web gear or a belt kit then you dont need a high riding rucksac.

Good luck i hope the Sabre 75 fits ok!!

john

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Mal, The rocket pac will probably be ok for you, but if you can get into a shop which sells sacks and try them, sometimes a problem i know, most shops will allow you to put load them a bit and wear them a while, i think theres a camping and caravaning and outdoor show in london the 1st week in November cant remember where it is (any one know?) but that may be an option, just an idea matie :wink: hope you find the one you are looking for :biggthump

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Thanks for that i don't mined going bigger with the Sabre 80-120 as long as i don't look like a snail. it would then give me moor room if i got a nanok sleeping bag. i know its off the subject but i was looking at hoochies and saw that sass do one with hoops to make a sort of tent and was wondering if it is the same as a normal Aussie hooch with these as extra for moor options dose any one no or had any experience with them also they sell polls for the British basha its all on there web site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE