water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Now everbody talks about lite weight now water is heavy right. Now two canteens or them new bottles full.l Lets say going on a 3 day hike you will drink one on the trail use one up for two meals. Now if this is close to right where is the water for tomorrow?? :confused: :confused:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm pretty set on my water ways, because I tend to travel quite fast.

Even on a week long trip I carry only a 1 quart army canteen in the summer and fall, because it's easy to drink from.

In the winter I carry a 1 litre Nalgene widemouth bottle. The widemouth because it's easier to fill up with snow than a narrow mouth drinking top. And then during the day, the heat from my pack melts it a bit and I'm good to go.

Generally I fill the bottles up in the morning, and along the way as I go. (I also have a water filter in case any water I see doesn't look safe) I try to practice water-discipline as well, drinking enough to stay hydrated, but not so much that I get an upset stomach from too much water on a lunch break.

At the end of the day, when I set up camp, I always make a brothy soup, like a Lipton Instant Noodle to replenish the salt I lost during the day, and to drink something warm. Then I reflect on the passing day before moving into dinner. (I think it's just like you British guys and your tea at camp!)

I don't think carrying three bottles is necessary if you have your cooking pot for your stove. But hey, that's only an opinion!

Cheers mate,

Adam

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Razorstrop said:
take a purifying system and carry none :)

Mr Strop
In our neck of the woods, you carry none, you don't find none!! On a two hour ramble over here, we carry 3 US issue bottles plus at least 3 litre and a half bottles. That's 1ltr each for us, and the rest for the 2 dugz :rolleyes: . They cover a lot more ground than us :yelrotflm . Total weight of 7.5kg., but unavoidable.!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have to agree with Mr Strop - usually I carry none and boil-up at camp. If I have large distances to cover I will fill a 1L Sigg bottle at camp to carry. For extended travel and warmer climates I will usually take a camelbak.

:beerchug:

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
For me it depends on where I am going, normally work out where to get water before leaving.

If I am doing a fast trek or riding I use my platypus.

Otherwise just use my Nalgene, as said before the widemouth is good for refill.

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
None of the locations I tend to visit regularly have any surface water supply, therefore I tend to carry my 3ltr camelbak. With the camelbak I don't tend to notice the weight as it spread across my back. If I'm overnighting I also tend to take an additional 1ltr canteen for damping down the fire area when packing up. I only wish I could take my supplies from the location, but in my neck of the woods it isn't all that practical.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Lol, is it just me that drinks sh*t loads then? When I went on a trek in the summer i took 15 litres, and drank it all! And that was before I got to camp, when I had to filter 15 more litres for the next day :p I guess i'm just a thirsty thirsty bloke....

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
i get through about 2-3 litres (excluding any used for cooking or washing)a day and would have thought much more than that in normal uk weather was a lot! So yeah i'd say you were a thirsty chap! LOL

When i'm out hiking I try to drink as much as i can in the morning and only carry a small amount as you cannot always garantee to find water between camps.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Top tip:

Put some water in a pot and simmer for a while until there's not much left. This is now highly concentrated water, which is easy to carry. When you get to camp, just dilute it to taste and enjoy!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
mark a. said:
Top tip:

Put some water in a pot and simmer for a while until there's not much left. This is now highly concentrated water, which is easy to carry. When you get to camp, just dilute it to taste and enjoy!
Good idea in theory but, you lose all the steam from the water that is lighter than air, so you end up with heavy water so you gain nothing on the weight side but it is a little easier to pack if space is a problem I suppose. :confused:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
:confused:
Goose said:
Good idea in theory but, you lose all the steam from the water that is lighter than air, so you end up with heavy water so you gain nothing on the weight side but it is a little easier to pack if space is a problem I suppose.

Ah, foiled again. My plan almost worked to perfection!

Graham_S said:
i saw someone selling dehydrated water on e-bay about 6 months ago........

So it's too late for me to patent my idea? Just my luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE