War & Peace, Beltring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
probably, camped there last year with a guy i work with. he owns a steyr puch pinzgauer and an iveco army ambulance, how cool?:)

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i mostly go for the giant army bootfair too. it takes a full day just to look around the stools. iv been many times befor just for the day and you do miss lots.

not his but this is a pinzgauer. his has a tipper truck convertion and we use it for work:)
IMG_3568.jpg

pete

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
i have been for the last 4 years and i love it, im going this year (got tikets already) i have always been for just 1 day but i think next year i will goe for 2 or 3 days as it is too big to see everything in one day. as last year i took all day looking around the stalls that i missed most of the reinactment shows (which i usualy like to watch) and then i only got about 20 mins to look around all the vehicles, but still got to see most of them.

it is a great show but the best part has tio be the stalls, there are so many bargains to be had, its just when you get there you wish you had taken more money (well i do any way) as all the things i would usualy want / get from the internet or local shops are about half price at the show. this year i will be getting quite a lot of cammo gear for airsoft, and any other little bits that take my fancy.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Myself and a pal are thinking of going this year. I was in Detling last year but family commitments are preventing it this time so it looks like Beltring for me.
I would prefer Military Odyssey because of the broader period of history covered, the western/pioneer reenactors in particular would be of interest to some on here.
Iv'e not been to W&P before, would someone answer a few questions for me?
We are planning to go for the full week and are looking to do some walking and day trips away, is the campsite secure?
Last year I warped most of my tent pegs trying to hammer them into Kent soil, what sort of ground is there, is it flinty?
Can you swim and fish in the River Medway?
Any help would be welcome.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
From what I have seen of the ground its pretty hard, I know a few of the stall holders and they tend use big industrial size pegs and a sledge hammer. I have never stayed in the camp site, but there appears shed loads of security each year, so I can only assume that it extends to the camp site too. I went to the militaru odyssey a few years back and really enjoyed it and agree the enactments cover a broader spectrum of history. I would like to camp at Beltring with a mate who is a stall holder, but work commitments mean I can only go for one day, it would make it easier to see everything.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You know, the W&P show is only half-hour down the road from me, but I've never been.
I've no problems with looking at tanks, military kit and people dressing up, but I do always wonder why they call it the 'War and PEACE' show - there's an overwhelming emphasis on the 'war' bit. Which is fine by me, but a bit gutless of the organisers.
I have been to the 'Militray Odyssey' show at Detling. This (from what I've heard from people who go to W&P) is MUCH better. Not only are there LOTS of people selling military kit (want an M60 anyone? Someone was selling one. De-activated), but people also selling 'historical' re-creations; which I suspect is more appealing to users of this forum.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I do always wonder why they call it the 'War and PEACE' show - there's an overwhelming emphasis on the 'war' bit. Which is fine by me, but a bit gutless of the organisers.
I forget who said something along the lines of "Without war, we cannot truely appreciate peace"
Anyway, I'll no doubt be there for my 4th year running, also possibly adding to my airsoft kit collection. I wonder if I'll end up with sunburn or up to my ankles in mud this year :)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Thanks for your answers Les. Please excuse my delay in getting back to you.
It's looking pretty likely that we can go this year, I just have to organise a few things on this side first.
My mate likes fishing, he was wondering what sort of species was in the River Medway and does he need a permit ect.(and is it clean enough to swim in!)
As durulz says I think Military Odyssey is better because it is multi period, the English Civil War battles were spectacular and the Romans are back this year.
W&P is mainly tommies and boxheads scrapping and lots of "Band of Brothers" mincing about.
Both are top places for buying surplus kit though.
Happy trail...torc.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
So, did you guys go and did you enjoy it? I went on Saturday and despite it being forcast as cloudy, it was HOT! My neck is now rather red too. Had a good trawl round the stalls and watched some of the shows, although they were sometimes obscured due to the amount of dust the vehicles threw up as the ground was so dry. Didn't go too mad on kit shopping but did manage to pick up a few things.
Firstly, a Karrimor Jaguar 65S rucksack for £10 (all buckles and zips in working order)
IMG_0727.jpg

An old (1950) Primus No.5 stove for £3
IMG_0728.jpg

And finally a pair of Desert Lowa Elites which for £20 I thought were a steal
IMG_0729.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE