wanting to try a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lewiman201

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2008
wokingham
Bascially ive been using a bivvi and tarp setup for a while now a want to try a hammock so i have a few question for you guys
Firstly anyone know of a good place to buy a good quality hammock cheaply ?
Also will my 2.5m by 1.8m tarp be large enough to use?

Thanks Lewis

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
For a quality hammock with a discount have a look see if there's a group buy going on.
Tarp-wise, I personally prefer a minimum of 3 x 3, but get your hammock first and see if you get on with your existing tarp.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
For a hammock I use a 2007 model DD camping hammock but these have been superseded several times now in spec.

For a tarp I use a couple of these (bought the second one half price fom a private vendor); Fox-Olive-Green-Basha

Chris

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Another option is to get along to a met or some such and then arrange to use one for a couple of night, or a different one each night.

if you just want to try sleeping in a hammock before commiting too much money (I wish I had done that as I can`t sleep in the things) you could get one from Blacks for a tenner. No doubt an expensive one would be more comfortable but it would give you a taster.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I found that it took several tries to get a comfortable set up. But now, its almost preferable to a double bed upstairs. I find that after 5 or 6 hours in bed, my back and legs start to ache - but 8 hours in a hammock is no problem!

Having somewhere and the time to trial different tensions/heights/tarp configurations helps enormously over arriving at an event and hoping to get it right first time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
There's a fiver off the DD Hammock at Tamarack anyway, do we still get £5 off? If so how?
Butch

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
TKMaxx were selling the Trekmates hammocks a few weeks ago. I can't remember how much but it's worth a look if you're passing.

A 3x3 tarp is a useful size to cover most hammocks but anything square can also be hung diagonally for a bit of extra length. Not so good if the rain's coming down sideways though ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've been converted to the tribe of tree dwellers over the past two nights.

It was my first time sleeping in one and it was great.

I used a DD travel hammock and a lightweight tarp same size as yours.
Of course there was no rain expected,(i've other larger tarps for that).

Well worth the money and if you don't like, then you'll be able to sell or swap one on.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I don't want to appear rude but, is that addressed to anyone Nick or just for Lewis? Just wondered because I'm looking for the same thing. :)
Cheers

Sorry, just him, should have PMed him. Will get his postal address.

I have too much kit and as we have mega midges up here, a mozzy net is best. I also have another hammock I got in a market in provence so don't really need 3 hammocks.:lmao:

Nick

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I take it the dd tarp is quite good due to the fact theve sold out of them :D ?
anyone have any experience with this?

I've got a 3x3m DD, and I've never had a single problem with it. Packs down pretty darn small, very versatile, light but still hardwearing (used it as a groundsheet a couple of times and had no snags or rips luckily!), good workmanship involved in the loops etc...

I'm not suprised they've sold out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE