walnut wood seasoning for a bow???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
tomorow my dad and i are going to trim some walnut from a tree in the garden,
i am dying to make a bow and have a few questions...

1. if the small branch i am eying up has a few twigs coming off it, will it be no good to use?

2. bieng impatient... will i be able to make the bow when it is green then somehow ?cure? it afterwards?

3. im a presuming walnut is ok to make a bow with... im just going on something i just read on the internet, so it might be rubbish.

4. will fishing line really be ok for a bowstring, (i read this online aswell so again this might be rubbish)

thank you very much, id really appreciate any help, :)

Apr 11, 2009
cornwall
if the knots are not too big and you aren't going for a really powerful bow should be all good. you can roughly shape it when green but dont try to flex it of tilter it until it has had a chance to season or you will wreck it. And fishing line will be rubbish it will stretch too much unless you use a breaded line but to get one strong enough will cos way more than proper bow string. you can get b50 bow string for about £5 and have plent to make loads. if you can make cordage you can make a bow string. loads of info on the web.

never used walnut but think i have read about it used in bows. there are lots of experienced bow makers that can give you more information. try searching for bow forums there is so much knowledge out there which will answer your questions and use up the time you will have to wait for the wood to season.

good luck and we expect pictures :)

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
About carving the bow green here is how I do it. I find a hickory sapling about 3 or so inches in diameter with straight grain and as knot free as I can find. Cut it and split it in half. Then rough out the bow with an axe. Leave extra wood. Then let it sit in your house flat on the ground (not standing on end) for two weeks. Then finish it up and tiller it. I use three ply deer rawhide for string and will make a dogbane string for my next bow.
Walnut should work but hickory is nearly indestructable and great for beggining bowyers and my favorit bow wood although I have not tried many other woods.
Good luck

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
thats very much, ill get some pictures up, although im betting it will look pretty rubbish!
thatnks for all the information, it is very useful!

Robin :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE