Volunteering for a local scout troop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi All,

Today's announcement about the new chief scout and the thread that it has spawned have got me thinking that I would like to volunteer to assist a local scout troop in some way. Reading the thread has also made me realise that a number of members here are involved with the scouting movement.

I have never been a scout and a feel that I may have missed out on something good. Does anyone have any advice on becomeing involved as an adult volunteer?

Thanks

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Excellent!

Well done you - scouting in 2009 is great. The fact you've not been in the scouts before isn't an issue. If you want to help you will find people will bite your arm off. :)

The best thing would be to contact your local District Commissioner - he/she looks after the various cub / scout groups in your area, and will 1) know where there are leadership gaps, and 2) be able to discuss where you'd be best placed.

All groups are different. Some are "outdoorsy", some are community focused, others would love to be more dynamic if only they had another pair of hands. It's important to find a group that suits your outlook and skills. I can guarentee that you will have skills that will be useful somewhere :)

Also, and this is important: whatever time you can spare is fine! You do not have to commit hours and hours of time... if your job / family means you can only attend 1-2 meetings a month, that's no problem at all.

Scouts has a really good support system for leaders - and the new leaders course is really good for getting people into the Scouting movement.

If you'd like any help finding contacts for your local groups feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help out.

Good luck!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Harmonica - I was in the same position in 2000, when I first volunteered. Wallens advice is good and accurate. If you can, do it, you'll get a lot out of helping (at any level), and extra pairs of hands (especially with skills) are ALWAYS welcome.

hi all

i have been threatening to volunteer for a while having read the original scouting for boys book written by baden powell recently
so i thought why not? and this thread caught my attetntion at the right time so i followed the link and i've just taken the plunge and filled in the above form!
fingers crossed i can be useful and help with the movement that inspired my love of the outdoors in the first palce
regards
Sam

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
LOL so it would seem Bears appointment has already had a positive impact!! even if it was only to make a few folk think about Scouts in general.

Well done guys I have been an Asst scout leader for a good few months now and the general training is great. Its also very rewarding once the youngsters realise your here to stay, great fun!!!

At the risk of hijacking the thread if any other folk involved already read this I would welcome your replies.

I have volunteered my time and have offered to pay for 50% of the cost of me becoming BCU qualified and MLTB qualified, I have indicated that I could also help other leaders at district and county level once qualified. I have contacted Gilwell was passed pillar to post
and then told to contact the county adventurous activities advisor again nothing!!! then 2 weeks ago the DC again nothing. Help its a bit of a bind!! pm me if you wish.

Thanks

Andy

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Do you still need to swear allegiance to the Queen and God to become a leader?

Graham

To become a full member yes - except that it is probably a vast simplification of your question - to become an associate member then no.

Some roles are only open to full members and far more are open to both full and associate members.

Which ever you need to support what are known as the "Key Policies", yes one of them does cover religion but actually any discussion ought to be about faith and belief not about a religion. Tony has already said religion is out of bounds so I dont want to go further really, avowed atheism is a bar to membership but agnostic is not a problem.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
To become a full member yes - except that it is probably a vast simplification of your question - to become an associate member then no.

Some roles are only open to full members and far more are open to both full and associate members.

Which ever you need to support what are known as the "Key Policies", yes one of them does cover religion but actually any discussion ought to be about faith and belief not about a religion. Tony has already said religion is out of bounds so I dont want to go further really, avowed atheism is a bar to membership but agnostic is not a problem.

Thanks, the Key Policies term allowed me to google and have a read, but I see there is a 2008 beta which may change the content of the 2003 version I read.

Nothing about the Queen though, that I could see, but I assume this is worldwide policies rather than UK.

Nor does a google seem to throw up anything about full member and associate members. I assume associate members are people who "help out".

Graham

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Thanks, the Key Policies term allowed me to google and have a read, but I see there is a 2008 beta which may change the content of the 2003 version I read.

Nothing about the Queen though, that I could see, but I assume this is worldwide policies rather than UK.

Nor does a google seem to throw up anything about full member and associate members. I assume associate members are people who "help out".

Graham

OK I am paraphrasing here from memory; the Promise has a number of recognised forms the most common of which is as has been referred to and quoted on TV/Radio. The next most common is to insert the word "my" before God and possibly add an S --> my Gods other permutations may be possible. Queen is normally understood to represent state and citizens of another country should not be asked to use that form so Queen is replaced with Country if I remember correctly.

An associate member does not make the Promise. Some roles, such as Leader/Asst Leader, Commissioner etc require full membership. They may be uniformed. They also carry a fairly weighty training commitment. Other roles such as Group Assistant, Skills Instrucor etc can be Associate members, have a lesser training commitment (the whole lot is optional to them though) and can choose whether to wear uniform but if dont make promise dont get the purple World Badge worn on shirt pocket - most kids would never notice to be honest.

There are then the occasional helpers, group execs and those that make things tick who are often neither kind of members.

Is that any clearer :confused:

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I guess it's good that BG's appointment as Chief Scout will bring publicity and hopefully more resources into Scouting (both human and material), but has the Chief Scout always been an "Honourary" post?

Srikes me that the post should generally be awarded to someone who's worked their way through the movement from Cubs to Scouts to Ventures to Adult Troop Staff, etc, etc.

Now I realise that the sort of people who act as adult staff in Scouting probably do it for the kids, rather than for prestige or position, but surely it would be a nice thought for a humble troop leader that one day he/ she might wind up as Chief Scout, without the probability of some "personality" being parachuted in over them?

Just my humble twopenneth worth.

(and no, I'm not a Scouter. I lasted about 6 months in the Scouts before I went off and joined the Army Cadets and learned how to kill people! :AR15firin )

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
OK I am paraphrasing here from memory; the Promise has a number of recognised forms the most common of which is as has been referred to and quoted on TV/Radio. The next most common is to insert the word "my" before God and possibly add an S --> my Gods other permutations may be possible. Queen is normally understood to represent state and citizens of another country should not be asked to use that form so Queen is replaced with Country if I remember correctly.

An associate member does not make the Promise. Some roles, such as Leader/Asst Leader, Commissioner etc require full membership. They may be uniformed. They also carry a fairly weighty training commitment. Other roles such as Group Assistant, Skills Instrucor etc can be Associate members, have a lesser training commitment (the whole lot is optional to them though) and can choose whether to wear uniform but if dont make promise dont get the purple World Badge worn on shirt pocket - most kids would never notice to be honest.

There are then the occasional helpers, group execs and those that make things tick who are often neither kind of members.

Is that any clearer :confused:

Thanks, that is indeed very helpful.

Graham

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I went to see my daughter in the local Gang Show last weekend. Whilst I sat there watching the Scouts, Guides, Brownies and Beavers doing their collective thing I was struck with the urge to get involved. I have given it much thought over the last few days and this has really given me the kick up the backside to stop thinking about it and to get on and do it.

Well done and thank you.

Martin

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I guess it's good that BG's appointment as Chief Scout will bring publicity and hopefully more resources into Scouting (both human and material), but has the Chief Scout always been an "Honourary" post?

Srikes me that the post should generally be awarded to someone who's worked their way through the movement from Cubs to Scouts to Ventures to Adult Troop Staff, etc, etc.

Actually I believe the post of chief scout is advertised in the Times and open to application from whoever wanted to apply.

See http://www.scouts.org.uk/cms.php?pageid=1986&pagenotlive=1

Cheers

John

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Welcome! Good to have some more on board.

I forget if it was this thread or the BG Chief Scout one, but as someone pointed out we have plenty of youngsters interested, but getting adults signed up is more of a challenge.

Scouting has failed to instill any particular religous belief in me, but at 31 they still haven't kicked me out, so you needn't worry too much about that one being a hard and fast rule. I like to think that I have a healthy respect for other people and the world we live in, it's just not out of fear of a higher power.

It looks like you both have much to offer young people and Scouting can be a good framework for doing it. So long as you bring some skills and plenty of enthusiasm any Group will welcome your help. It's entirely up to you how deep into it you get and how much time you give. We are all volounteers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE