Where to buy needles for a Winselmann Titan sewing machine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
IMG-3032.jpg
IMG-3031.jpg
Hi, some time ago I bought a newly serviced Winselmann Titan sewing machine, a real beauty! Not knowing anything about them, didn’t consider about availability of replacement needles, if I had, I’d have gone for a Singer. Sadly, I broke the only needle and have been unable to source any replacements, partly hampered by not even knowing the proper designation name for that type. They are a straight round shaft with a channel for the thread starting about half way down. I have posted am image as well. Hoping one of our fonts of knowledge can help me out!:)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If a standard needle doesn’t work then can you make a needle out of a standard one.

Is the lower thread wound on a round spool or a long bobbin inside a shuttle. The shuttle is a bit more sensitive to adjustment and bent needles. Spools are pretty forgiving.

As @Watch-keeper says try a standard needle gently before worrying about anything else.

That’s a magnificent piece of equipment that you have there.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Right! I was talking through my bum when I suggested making a Titan needle and on research, I doubt a standard one will work.

But
You say you are having trouble sourcing needles. Have you tried contacting Titan?

Reactions: matarius777

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
That's a lovely looking machine, no wonder you went for it.

I know nothing about sewing machines, but a bit of Googling took me to victoriansweatshop.com which had a discussion that resulted in someone saying a Boye #23 needle works. Someone else suggested that translated to a 12x1 (if this means anything to anyone - doesn't to me!) Trying to confirm that took me to the International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society and their Needle Cross Reference Chart for Round Shanked Needles and that's as far down the rabbit hole as I cared to go because I've got to make lunch. But maybe it'll help you progress.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To me that looks like an Industrial sewing machine needle.
That long groove is characteristic.....I don't know if modern ones will fit your old machine though, but it's another avenue to explore.

Might be worth an email to someone like this company.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two other things that came to mind.
Firstly, there's a big and well informed group of people who collect and use old sewing machines, and someone there will know and help. Pretty sure of that.

Secondly, there are links to sussing out the right needle, even if it's not meant for that machine, but how to get ones to work, and loads of charts to investigate :)

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
That's a lovely looking machine, no wonder you went for it.

I know nothing about sewing machines, but a bit of Googling took me to victoriansweatshop.com which had a discussion that resulted in someone saying a Boye #23 needle works. Someone else suggested that translated to a 12x1 (if this means anything to anyone - doesn't to me!) Trying to confirm that took me to the International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society and their Needle Cross Reference Chart for Round Shanked Needles and that's as far down the rabbit hole as I cared to go because I've got to make lunch. But maybe it'll help you progress.
I think I might have got that far but just had no idea how that relates to size and just ended up with a migraine!:(

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Right! I was talking through my bum when I suggested making a Titan needle and on research, I doubt a standard one will work.

But
You say you are having trouble sourcing needles. Have you tried contacting Titan?

Excellent, never even considered Titan might still be in business! It’s a long spool in a metal shuttle type thing, not the round bobbin, I’d love to use it just for the joy of using such a piece of art and engineering. When I bought this, my mother was still alive , sadly, she passed last year so I now have her Elna Carina, it dates to,I think, the 1980s but a bloke who serviced it a couple years ago highly rated it and said they’re quite sought after. I know it’ll handle thicker canvas which is what I got mine for - zips on my Lavvu.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Firstly, there's a big and well informed group of people who collect and use old sewing machines, and someone there will know and help. Pretty sure of that.

Secondly, there are links to sussing out the right needle, even if it's not meant for that machine, but how to get ones to work, and loads of charts to investigate :)

I’ll check that out, thanks. Beginning to get my head round it a bit now. :)

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster

The broken needle did work in it, now wondering if the seller, who also refurbishes them put an industrial one in because it’s easier to obtain.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Excellent, never even considered Titan might still be in business! It’s a long spool in a metal shuttle type thing, not the round bobbin, I’d love to use it just for the joy of using such a piece of art and engineering. When I bought this, my mother was still alive , sadly, she passed last year so I now have her Elna Carina, it dates to,I think, the 1980s but a bloke who serviced it a couple years ago highly rated it and said they’re quite sought after. I know it’ll handle thicker canvas which is what I got mine for - zips on my Lavvu.
I think you'll find it dates to the early 1900's as Winselman went out of production after WW2

As for needles why not ask the guy who serviced and sold it to you?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Try the Barcham brothers in Whitstable. They supply and service domestic and industrial machines.
I get my needles, bobbins spare parts and services there. Can’t speak highly enough of them.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try Hobkirks in Blackburn. Very knowledgeable people and the company was probably around when this sewing machine company was still producing! I think they even have a sewing machine museum at one site.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Try Hobkirks in Blackburn. Very knowledgeable people and the company was probably around when this sewing machine company was still producing! I think they even have a sewing machine museum at one site.
I’ll do that, it’s more my neck of the woods, I’m in Lancaster, not been to Blackburn for years so it’ll make a nice change.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I think you'll find it dates to the early 1900's as Winselman went out of production after WW2

As for needles why not ask the guy who serviced and sold it to you?
Unfortunately it was off eBay and long ago enough for the record to have disappeared off my “purchases list”. It’s the other machine that dates to the 1980s, an Elna. This Winselmann definitely dates to the early 1900s.:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I’ll do that, it’s more my neck of the woods, I’m in Lancaster, not been to Blackburn for years so it’ll make a nice change.
Call first though, it might be a wasted journey. They're into domestic and industrial sector, also deal in used. Family run from the beginning. I think they run courses too.

I'm not linked to them just ordered stuff from them for past jobs and they're reliable. Like all things they're traditionally big in brother sewing machines but now sell a lot of Chinese brother clones. They're good but no brother machine.

I think the needles they sell I think are German made. Groz beckert I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE